The 2022-23 UEFA Round of 16 is upon us. PSG plays Bayern Munich on February 14th at . Watch it on Paramount+!
The World Cup 2022 starts its Round of 16 on Saturday, December 3rd. The first match features the first-place team from Group A against the second-place team from Group B: Netherlands vs USA at Khalifa International Stadium. The game airs December 3rd at on Fox and Telemundo. Read on to get all the details.
In a hurry? These streaming services will allow you to watch this first Round of 16 match between the Netherlands and the United States, as well as all the others:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 130+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save a bundle with Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
If you can’t watch your favorite sports because of your location, get ExpressVPN to access the content you deserve.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
World Cup Results For Groups A and B
This match pits the winner of Group A against the second-place finisher of Group B. Here are the results of the Group Stage competitions:
- Netherlands: 2-1-0 (7)
- Senegal: 2-0-1 (6)
- Ecuador: 1-1-1 (4)
- Qatar: 0-0-3 (0)
- England: 2-1-0 (7)
- USA: 1-2-0 (5)
- Iran: 1-0-2 (3)
- Wales: 0-1-1 (1)
So we have #8 ranked Netherlands against #16 ranked USA. Should be a good match!
Where to Watch World Cup Round of 16 Matches
The first A1-B2 match and all the rest of the Round of 16 matches will be televised live on the following channels:
This particular match will air on Fox and Telemundo. Both of them are broadcast over-the-air. So if you have an antenna and live relatively close to an affiliate, you should be able to watch for free.
- Saturday, December 3 : Netherlands vs USA
If you want all the channels, we recommend FuboTV, which is the streaming service for soccer fans. Other worthy choices include Hulu + Live TV, DIRECTV STREAM, Vidgo, and YouTube TV. And you can stream all the games in Spanish with Peacock.
The Round of 16 is the first knockout stage. At this point, teams that win move on to the next stage and teams that lose go home. Here are the remaining stages:
- Quarter Finals, beginning December 8th
- Semi-Finals, beginning December 13th
- Third Place Playoff on December 17th
- Final on December 18th.
How to Watch Netherlands vs USA in Every Country
- United States: SiriusXM FC (TV, Streaming, App), Uforia (App), Peacock (Streaming, App), Telemundo Deportes (Streaming, App), Fox Sports (TV, Streaming, App), Telemundo (TV, Streaming)
- Canada: TSN4 (Streaming, App), CTV Television Network (TV, App), TSN1 (Streaming, App)
- United Kingdom: BBC Radio 5 Live (Radio)
- Germany: ServusTV (TV, Streaming, App)
- France: beIN Sports 1 (TV), Free (TV, Streaming, App)
- Colombia: To be confirmed - contact us if you know
- Indonesia: Indosiar (TV, Streaming), SCTV (TV, Streaming), Vidio (TV, Streaming, App)
- Spain: Gol Mundial (TV)
- India: Voot Select (Streaming, App), JioTV (TV, Streaming, App), Sports18 (TV)
Game Analysis: Netherlands vs USA
The Dutch National Team had a relatively easy journey to the round of 16, sandwiching 2-0 defeats of Senegal and Qatar in Group A with a 1-1 draw with Ecuador. Meanwhile, the USA secured Group B’s second round of 16 spot, drawing with Wales, 1-1, and England, 0-0, before hanging on for a tight 1-0 win over Iran.
The Netherlands, which is ranked eighth by FIFA and finished third at this event eight years ago, will surely be the favorite on Saturday. The squad is led by head coach Louis van Gaal and captain Virgil van Dijk, who has been the core of Liverpool’s defensive line since 2018. Meanwhile, Cody Gakpo (PSV) has scored in all three of the team’s matches in Qatar. The other Dutch goals in the group stage were courtesy of Davy Klaassen (Ajax) and Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona).
The Americans, 16th in the FIFA ranking, have been coached by Gregg Berhalter since he took those reigns in 2018, a year after the team surprised in falling to qualify for that summer’s World cup. The American captain is Tyler Adams (Leeds United), who, at 23, is the youngest captain at this event and the youngest American captain at a World Cup since 1950. Meanwhile, the squad’s two group stage goals were scored by Timothy Weah (Lille) and Christian Pulisic (Chelsea).
This will be the first competitive meeting between these teams. However, they have played five times in friendlies. The Dutch took the first four, contested in 1998, 2002, 2004, and 2010, while the Americans surprised in 2015 with a 4-3 win over the Netherlands in Amsterdam.
The Netherlands has a solid World Cup pedigree, having advanced to the semifinals five times since 1970, including in its last two appearances, in 2010 and 2014. However, a shock failure to qualify for the 2018 competition is something that these two countries have in common. But it appears that the Oranje is not only back but back and looking to make another long run.
The Americans do have a history of repeatedly getting out of the group stage, but advancing past the first step of the knockout phase does not often happen. In fact, the USA only has one knockout-phase victory in its history. That was a 2-0 defeat of Mexico in the round of 16 in 2002. Since then, the Americans failed to get out of the group stage in 2006 and went home after the round of 16 in 2010 and 2014.
On Saturday, the Dutch will be expected to attack in waves. However, the Americans are expected to be determined. Where most teams in their position would sit back and focus on the counterattack, this team does not typically display that mentality, at least not until after securing a lead against an opponent. However, the Dutch may force them to play defensively from the start.
Round of 16 is when the World Cup really gets exciting because every match is do-or-die. The field of competitors is weeded quickly. So you won’t want to miss this or any other from this point on.
[Post-match] What were some highlights of the USA vs Netherlands match?
A few noteworthy moments from this game:
- The Netherlands’ first goal at 10′ in from striker Memphis Depay with an assist by teammate Denzel Dumfries.
- Dutch midfielder Daley Blind nets a second goal right before halftime, with another assist from Dumfries.
- After he subs in for Sergiño Dest, DeAndre Yedlin (USA) gets the ball downfield to Christian Pulisic, who passes to Haji Wright, who gets the ball past Dutch goalkeeper Andries Noppert for USA’s first goal at 76′.
- A heroic series of saves by USA goalkeeper Matt Turner.
- Other players who got in on the action, on the Dutch side: Nathan Aké, Steven Bergwijn, Wout Weghorst, Jurrien Timber, Teun Koopmeiners, and Matthijs de Ligt.
- And, for the Americans: Weston McKennie, Antonee Robinson, Brenden Aaronson, Tim Ream, Jordan Morris, Jesus Ferreira, Gio Reyna, Yunus Musah, Josh Sargent, Tim Weah, Walker Zimmerman
What other matches are being played in the Round of 16?
The Round of 16 is completed. Here are the standings:
- December 3: Netherlands vs USA (3-1)
- December 3: Argentina vs Australia (2-1)
- December 4: France vs Poland (3-1)
- December 4: England vs Senegal (3-0)
- December 5: Croatia vs Japan (1-1, 3-1 penalties)
- December 5: Brazil vs South Korea (4-1)
- December 6: Morocco vs Spain (0-0, 3-0 penalties)
- December 6: Portugal vs Switzerland (6-1)
What teams have been eliminated from the World Cup?
The following teams were eliminated at the Group Stage:
- Costa Rica
- Saudi Arabia
These teams were eliminated so far in the Knockout Stage:
- South Korea
- USMNT (USA)
Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11]- 11/15/2022
Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/13/2022
🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/12/2022