The 2022-23 UEFA Quarter-Final is upon us. Watch it on Paramount+!
FuboTV is best known for its large live TV streaming service in the US. But it also offers a smaller and less-expensive sports-focused plan to Canadians. Read on to learn all you need to know.
In a hurry? Get FuboTV with 12+ channels and a vast selection of soccer for as little as $12.50 CAD/mo.
Table Of Contents
FuboTV is the place for soccer fans. The only live TV streaming service not owned by a giant media megacorporation, Fubo was built from scratch by North American soccer fans for North American soccer fans.
Niche programming is always a double-edged sword — it’s a godsend for anyone in the niche, kind of useless for most outside it. So is FuboTV worth it for you? Let’s look at the details.
FuboTV Canada Overview
|✔ So. Much. Soccer||❌ Only 12+ channels|
|✔ Low price||❌ No 4K streaming|
|✔ Cloud DVR and Lookback|
In the United States, Fubo has expanded into a general cable replacement service while still maintaining a sports focus. But in Canada, it remains more of a supplemental subscription to go alongside your main entertainment package.
The channel list boasts 18 channels, but don’t be fooled: 3 of them are beIN Sports channels and 5 are Fubo’s own sports networks. If you get rid of the overflow stations, you have about 12 distinct channels left.
FuboTV offers three plans but they all have the same channel lineup and include Family Share, which lets you watch on up to 3 screens at the same time. They also include at least 250 hours of cloud DVR. They differ primarily in terms of their length of commitment and cost.
The Monthly plan is $20 CAD/mo (paid monthly, no commitments), the Quarterly plan is $40 CAD every three months (works out to $13.33 CAD per month), and the Annual plan is $150 CAD every 12 months ($12.50 CAD/mo). The Annual plan also includes and extra 750 hours (1,000 hours total) of cloud DVR storage.
FuboTV Canada Channels
- CBC: All your regular CBC programming — news, entertainment, kids shows — included for your convenience. Featured shows include CBC News Network, The National, and the Rick Mercer Report.
- ICI Radio-Canada Télé: Ou vous pouvez regarder en français si vous préférez. Les programmes présentés incluent Le téléjournal avec Patrice Roy, District 31, et Toute la Vie.
- beIN SPORTS/En Español/Canada: Global sports coverage of Copa Libertadores, Turkish Super Lig, and Copa Sudamericana in English (main channel) and Spanish (en Español), plus Ligue 1, FIA European Rallycross Championship, and Motocross (beIN SPORTS Canada).
- Benfica TV: Portuguese sport club Benfica’s channel, featuring the club’s Primeira Liga home soccer matches.
- The Fight Network: Lots of combat sports, such as boxing, MMA, pro wrestling, and kickboxing.
- Fubo Movie Network: From blockbusters to B-movies, all ages and genres.
- Fubo Sports Network 1-5: Features Coppa Italia and Serie A matches, English Premier League games starting this summer, Chivas Real matches, sports news, and programs like Drinks With Binks, No Chill with Gilbert Arenas, and The Cooligans.
- GAME+: Fantasy sports, esports, action sports, high stakes poker, game shows, and more.
- Law & Crime: Live courtroom coverage and trial analysis.
- MLB Network: Major League Baseball games, news, and analysis.
- One Soccer: The self-described home for Canadian soccer with Canadian Championship, Premier League, CONCACAF matches, World Cup qualifiers, and more.
- Paramount Network: Comedy and drama series, as well as Paramount movies. Best known for its flagship original drama Yellowstone.
- Curiosity Stream: On-demand documentaries on every subject you can think of and several you can’t.
English Premier League
This bears repeating: FuboTV Canada (via Fubo Sports Network) has acquired the exclusive streaming rights to Premier League soccer for the 2022-23, 2023-24, and 2024-25 seasons. They will stream all 380 matches of each season. This is huge.
FuboTV Canada Features
In addition to the channel lineup, FuboTV offers a number of features with its plans.
FuboTV lets you stream on up to three devices at the same time, with some caveats. You can stream on up to 3 mobile devices and web browsers from anywhere, but you can only stream on TV devices (that’s a TV or anything that plugs into a TV) from one location at a time.
So you can watch on three different TVs in your home or you can watch on one TV at home and two phones outside your home or you can watch on three different tablets in three different locations around town. But if you go over to a friend’s house and put the game up on your Fubo account on their TV, no one will be able to watch Fubo on your TV at home.
All Fubo plans come with at least 250 hours of cloud DVR storage. The Annual plan comes with 1000 hours. Recordings can be kept forever, in theory, though the storage limit will auto-delete the oldest if you reach the maximum.
You can record any program before or while it’s airing. And it will record the whole program, regardless of when you tuned in. You can play it back from the beginning as soon as you begin recording. And best of all, you can fast-forward past all the commercials.
Lookback is a cool little feature in case you forget to set your DVR to record something you really wanted to watch. You can watch anything that’s aired in the last 72 hours (three days).
News and entertainment is with the other on-demand content, and sports events are accessed by day from the Sports screen.
Users can create up to six profiles, each tracking different progress points in shows and having different DVRs scheduled. Each profile will also have separate favorite channels and followed series.
Note that DVR storage is shared across profiles, so if you have 250 hours of storage, and one person uses 225, the other profile(s) will only have 25 hours left.
FuboTV Canada Devices
FuboTV in Canada runs on most of the same devices it does in the US. LG, Hisense, and VIZIO Smart TVs are specifically excluded, but the rest of the list is present and accounted for. Samsung and Xbox are recent additions.
Here’s the complete list from Fubo’s website.
Amazon Fire TV
- Fire TV
- Fire TV Edition TVs
- Insignia HD (2018)
- Insignia 4K (2018)
- Toshiba HD (2018)
- Toshiba 4K (2018)
- Element 4K (2017) .
These units require Android OS 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
Google-approved mobile phones and tablets with Android OS 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
- Google-approved Android TV devices
- Android TVs: Sony, Sharp, TCL (select models).
Requires Android OS 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
- 4th generation or newer (tvOS v13.0 or higher).
Browser (Mac or PC)
Requires the latest stable version.
- Chromecast (2nd gen or newer)
- Chromecast Ultra
- Vizio SmartCast 3.0 TVs (AirPlay not supported).
This supports casting from Android Mobile devices and iPhone/iPad/iPod.
- iPhone 6s or newer
- iPad (iPadOS 13.1 or higher)
- iPad Pro
- iPad Air 2 or newer
- iPad 5th gen or newer
- iPad Mini 4 or newer
- iPod Touch Gen 7 or newer
Unless otherwise stated, these require iOS v13.0 or higher.
- Model 3700X and higher
- Model 3600X and lower (Limited functionality).
Samsung Smart TV
- 2017 and newer models.
- Xbox One
- Xbox One S
- Xbox One X.
FuboTV Canada Alternatives
Fubo isn’t the only streaming service in Canada. Here are some other services that feature live sports and American shows:
- DAZN: NFL and UEFA Champions League, boxing, rugby, Cazoo Premier League Darts, MLB, Redbull TV, pay-per-view events, and more for $20 CAD/mo. (DAZN review)
- Sportsnet NOW: Stanley Cup Playoffs, NBA Playoffs, Blue Jays games, and MLB, starting at $14.99 CAD/mo.
- TSN Direct: TSN’s streaming service, bringing you the CFL, Curling Canada, NBA, Major League Soccer, FIFA, IIHF, NFL, Formula One, NASCAR (Cup, Xfinity), UFC, and Grand Slam tennis. Day passes are $7.99 CAD, Month Passes $19.99 CAD, Annual Passes $199.00 CAD.
- Paramount+: Lots of faves from Paramount brands like Nickelodeon, BET, MTV, Comedy Central, and Paramount Network, plus CBS News and Sports for $5.99 CAD/mo after a free trial. (Paramount+ review)
So is FuboTV worth it in Canada? It’s hard to beat the stranglehold Sportsnet and TSN have on Canadian sports, but aside from UEFA Champions League on DAZN, Fubo has the international scene cornered. How closely do you follow Coppa Italia, Serie A, Ligue 1, the English Premier League, or Chivas Real?
Fubo is cheaper if you pay by the year, but only if you get value from it all year. If you’re more of a seasonal sports fan, you may want to take advantage of the flexibility of live TV streaming services and only subscribe for the months (or quarters) you want.
What’s the difference between Lookback and DVR?
Both Lookback and DVR let you watch shows you can’t watch live, for whatever reason. DVR requires setting up before the show has ended, and you can keep your recording for as long as you want (or as long as you have space). Lookback is a special Fubo feature that lets you watch programs up to 3 days after their original air time — more like a short-term on-demand.
Why would I want to pause my subscription?
You can pause your subscription for up to 3 months in your account settings. There are many reasons you might want to do this. You might go on a trip. Or the sport you follow might be taking a break. Why not just cancel your account and restart it? That’s certainly an option too, but if you pause it, you get to keep your recordings and favorites as well as maintaining whatever plan you had.
Can I get a refund for an Annual (or Quarterly) plan if I don’t like it?
You cannot get a refund on any FuboTV plan. So you should probably take it slow and start with a month until you know if Fubo is right for you, before you commit to a full year. All billing periods are prepaid, so while you can cancel the autopay so you won’t get charged for another year, you won’t be able to do anything about this one, and you’ll be out the $150 CAD.
Do the English Premier League games air on DAZN?
Premier League games had aired on DAZN from 2014, but beginning in August 2022, Fubo is the new exclusive home for EPL in Canada for the next three seasons. All 380 Premier League matches per season will be carried on the Fubo Sports Network.
Does FuboTV have content in 4K?
Currently, all FuboTV 4K content in Canada is limited to Curiosity Stream. Fubo hopes to have more 4K programming (perhaps some sports) in the future. You can find 4K content by searching “4K.” Unlike some other services, all 4K content is included in your subscription, but note that you can’t record it, and you will need hardware that supports 4K and HDR.
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range, and it enhances the contrast and color of your picture, giving it more of a visual punch. 4K refers to the screen resolution, or the number of pixels that can fit on the screen. The more pixels, the sharper and clearer the image is. You can have one without the other, and both together create the best current viewing experience.
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
Sling TV: Top Halloween Selections Every Horror Fan Will Love - 10/22/2022
Coming Soon: New Arrivals On Hulu Live In August And Beyond- 07/31/2022
How to Watch Live TV on Hulu- 07/17/2022