The Stanley Cup Playoffs are underway. Watch it all with Sling TV!
Get all the details in our viewer’s guide.
The last few years have seen a revolution in TV. It is no longer necessary to be tied to a cable provider with a long contract. There are many live TV streaming services that are as good, or better, than what the cable companies provide. All this for a lot less money.
In a hurry? There’s lots of information below, but if you just want to start enjoying TV more while spending less money, you can’t go wrong with these services:
- FuboTV: Known for its outstanding sports coverage, Fubo’s 130+ live TV channels provide a broad selection that appeals to most people. Fubo allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: Offers 40+ channels, including a couple of local network affiliates, for just $40.00/mo. Save on Sling TV now!
- DIRECTV STREAM: The king of RSNs, this is the streaming service for MLB, NBA, and NHL fans. Check out its Choice Plan if you want to watch every game! A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
- Hulu + Live TV: This industry leader in on-demand streaming offers 85+ live channels, covering a broad range of sports, entertainment, and family content. Try one month for $69.99.
Division I Men’s Lacrosse Tournament is here! Get all the details in our viewer’s guide!
And the Men’s Golf Tournament is around the corner! We have the details: NCAA golf viewer’s guide!
And you can watch it all with Sling TV!
Table Of Contents
Watch MLB on Sling TV. Get all the details!
The 2023 Formula One season is on! Watch the entire calendar with Sling TV for half-price! See our guide on the Miami Grand Prix right now!
Also: Top 10 Formula 1 Circuits.
We provide simple but detailed information for cord-cutters to get the best possible experience without cable. You will learn where and how to stream different channels, what individual streaming services offer, and how to be cost-effective with your chosen streaming device.
Whether you’re a sports fan, movie buff, parent with curious kids, or just a general TV consumer, we provide you with everything you need to leave your cable contract behind.
Premier League is headed toward the finals. Don’t miss it with Sling TV! See our Sling schedule and guide.
What’s Streaming Now?
Here’s the stuff we think deserves attention. It’s by no means complete, however! All times are Eastern.
Watch the 2023 NASCAR season with Sling TV!
Sporting Events This Week
The French Open is one of the most important events in all of tennis and the biggest to feature clay courts. It starts this Sunday, May 28th and runs for two weeks.
You can watch the whole thing on NBC and Tennis Channel. And if you really want to binge, check out Peacock. We recommend Fubo with the Extra add-on for sports fans in general and tennis fans in particular.
- Women’s Lacrosse: Here’s a sport you almost certainly aren’t paying enough attention to. Check out the semi-finals (ESPNU) and finals (ESPN) this weekend. We have all the details!
- Indy 500: The most prestigious race in America takes place this weekend. It should be an exciting event! Get all the details in our Indy 500 viewer’s guide.
- NBA Finals: The NBA Eastern Conference Championship is finishing up even as I’m writing this. The Finals start on Tuesday on TNT. See our viewer’s guide for details!
- NHL Playoffs: The Stanley Cup Finals start… Well, we don’t know yet. They either start on Wednesday, May 31st or next weekend. Get the details in our Stanley Cup guide.
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Other Sporting Events This Week
- May 6 – May 28: Giro d’Italia (Cycling Guide)
- May 26: North Carolina Education Lottery 200 (Truck Series Guide)
- May 26: General Tire 150 (ARCA Series Guide)
- May 26 – May 31: NCAA Division I Men’s Golf National Championship (Watch it on Sling TV)
- May 27: Matchday 37 (Ligue 1)
- May 27: Granite State Derby (Whelen Modified Guide)
- May 27 – May 28: Week 7 matchups (USFL)
- May 28: Monaco Grand Prix (Formula 1 Guide)
- May 28: Matchday 38 (Premier League Guide)
- May 28: Indianapolis 500 (Watch it on Sling TV)
- May 28: Coca-Cola 600 (Cup Series Guide)
- May 28: Charles Schwab Challenge (Golf Guide)
- May 28 – Jun 11: Roland Garros French Open (Tennis Guide)
Coming up: The Preakness Stakes on May 20th. Sign up for Sling TV to watch the race for less!
Movies and TV Shows This Week
Sorority rushing, Chinese mythology, culinary mysteries, a pranxpert preview, the thirty-second president in three parts, and over two million acres of private land rewilded and donated to become national parks. There are plenty of documentaries (and more!) in this week’s new releases May 23 through 29:
- BAMA RUSH on Max: An inside look at Greek life as this documentary follows four would-be sorority members during Rush Week at the University of Alabama. Streaming May 23.
- Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai on Max: Animated prequel series to the 1984 classic that follows a young Gizmo (A.J. LoCascio) as he enlists a ten-year-old Sam Wing (the future antique shop proprietor, voiced by Izaac Wang) to help him return to his family. Premieres May 23.
- What Am I Eating? With Zooey Deschanel on Max: Deschanel busts myths and demands answers about food. Streaming starting May 23.
- American Born Chinese on Disney+: An ordinary child-of-immigrants coming-of-age story takes a hard left turn when an isolated Chinese-American teen (Ben Wang) gets pulled into drama between figures in Chinese folklore after befriending the new Taiwanese exchange student (Jim Liu). Premieres May 24.
- The Prank Panel on ABC: Welcome to a masterclass on practical jokes taught by Johnny Knoxville, Eric Andre and Gabourey Sidibe. A special preview airs May 24 at . The series will continue in its regular time slot on July 9 at . Watch ABC with Fubo with a seven-day trial!
- Mayans M.C.: Fifth and final season debuts May 24 at on FX. Streaming service Fubo offers FX. Also streaming next day on Hulu.
- The Kardashians: Season 3 premieres May 25 on Hulu.
- Wild Life on National Geographic: National Geographic tells the story of Kris Tompkins (first CEO of Patagonia) and her epic relationship with Doug Tompkins (founder of The North Face and Esprit) as they cashed out their corporate interests to become full-time conservationists. Airing on NatGeo or NatGeo Wild on May 25 at — watch it with Fubo. Or stream it on Disney+ starting May 26.
- Run the World: Season 2 starts May 26 on Starz.
- Sarah Silverman: Someone You Love on HBO: Silverman’s second HBO comedy special airs May 27 at . Watch HBO with DIRECTV STREAM, or stream the stand-up event on Max.
- FDR on The History Channel: Celebrate Memorial Day with a bit of History by watching this three-part documentary on the eponymous president. Part One airs May 29 at , and you can stream it on The History Channel on DIRECTV STREAM or stream it the next day on the History app.
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Why Get Rid of Cable TV?
Some reasons for getting rid of cable are obvious. But there are some that may not have occurred to you.
- Time: Too much television is a waste of time. If you cancel cable and only watch your favorite TV shows, you can spend more time with your friends and family.
- Money: A cable or satellite subscription costs many times more than it does to grab a simple on-demand plan with Hulu and Netflix. Cable is also more expensive than online cable replacement services with live TV channels, like FuboTV and Hulu + Live TV.
- Technology: Video streaming is the future of TV. Soon, all video entertainment will be via an online connection. You might as well get on board now, learn the tricks, and save money in the process.
- Information: Be more informed. Rather than be at the mercy of local news anchors, you will revert to more reputable news feeds like PBS, Bloomberg, CBS News, and LinkTV. For example, FuboTV provides 13 news and information channels, along with all the local affiliates in its base plan.
- Freedom: Cable and satellite providers normally tie you into a long contract, only to give you prices that are still higher than comparable streaming services. Getting rid of cable means getting rid of the contract. Go month-to-month and be flexible.
- Dignity: Stop getting ripped off! Calling up the cable company and canceling your cable will simply make you feel good.
Looking for missing conservative news channels? Check out Sling TV!
Best Streaming Services
Choosing the right streaming service is probably the most important decision that a cord-cutter will make. There is no absolute “best” streaming service. It all depends on what you want with your live TV streaming plan.
Some streaming services are free, like Peacock TV (although they have a premium plan). Sling TV offers value plans that are low-cost but offer a lot. And the full-featured plans of FuboTV, Hulu Live TV, and DIRECTV STREAM) provide what you would expect from a standard cable plan, but with different bonus features designed to appeal to all sorts of viewers’ needs.
Get access to all our detailed and up-to-date reviews of the major streaming services. You will also get links to free trials so you can make sure a service suits you before you buy.
Internet Without Cable?
Most cable TV subscribers also get their internet access from the same place. In many cases, there are other options for the internet. In some cases, cable is literally the only game in town.
We’ve put together everything that cord-cutters need to know about getting internet service. Even if your cable provider is tied in with your internet, you can probably get a reasonably-priced internet-only plan via a downgrade.
There are a lot of aspects of cord-cutting that newbies may be faced with. These range from what’s worth watching, to getting access to particular channels, to buying and installing specialized streaming and recording devices.
We discuss it all. Here are some of our most popular articles:
- How to Watch Local News Without Cable
- Setting Up your Streaming Service Parental Controls
- The Best DVR Without Subscription Fees
- The Best Ways to Get Internet Without Cable for Cord Cutters
- Watching Television in Spanish Without Cable.
Stream Major Events
Major TV events are still a big part of our social lives — just look at Facebook and Twitter during the Super Bowl or Academy Awards. Cord cutters have full access to these events.
For those just starting out, we have primers on how to stream the biggest happenings:
Most major streaming services offer good access to live sports. The standout is FuboTV. But a good low-cost newcomer to the industry is Vidgo. We have articles about everything related to live streaming sports like:
Stream TV Shows
With live TV streaming, you never have to miss your favorite shows, mini-series, and films when they are broadcast live. Here are some of our articles about streaming some recent must-see TV titles:
We have a list of free trials but we also have a list of major deals from streaming, VPN, and other cord-cutter services:
2022 Cord-Cutters’ Deals Guide
Specific Cord-Cutter Deals
Here are all the deals we are following:
Get Started Now
We understand that dumping cable is intimidating. So we’ve written a detailed step-by-step guide to the process on How to Watch TV Without Cable.
It also gives you an overview of all the top streaming services, desirable features to look for, and answers to the most frequently asked questions from to-be cord-cutters.
What are you waiting for? Get started now!
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
Page Updates ▼▲
Updated some section headings. Updated some sub-sections. Added useful links.
Added links to streaming services. Updated some sub-sections. Cross linking. Image changes.
Added info about guide. Added buttons for streaming services. Image changes. Put related links. Mentioned offers. Cleaned up list.
Added info about guide. Added streaming info. Updated some sub-sections. Added a few links. Mentioned offers.
Added pricing. Updated some sub-sections. Cross linking. Pricing updates. Deleted unneeded sub-section.
Mentioned channel info. Updated some sub-sections. Added a few links. Image changes.
Added links to streaming services. Added info about guide. Updated some section headings. Updated some sub-sections. Added some more links.
Added sub-section. Updated some sub-sections. Linking. Mentioned offers.
Updated one section. Reworded some things.
Sling TV: Top Halloween Selections Every Horror Fan Will Love - 10/22/2022
Coming Soon: New Arrivals On Hulu Live In August And Beyond- 07/31/2022
How to Watch Live TV on Hulu- 07/17/2022