With Hulu + Live TV you gain access to both on-demand showings of the latest TV series, movies, and sports events, as well live TV channels.
Hulu is one of the few streaming providers that allows you to watch on-demand programs ad-free, while you can also fast-forward commercials on pre-recorded shows and sporting events on your cloud DVR.
There are no fancy plans for Hulu + Live TV — you pay a fixed price of $69.99 per month with the option to cancel anytime.
Table Of Contents
In this review, we pick apart the Hulu + Live TV package and explain why it may be a decent choice for families or roommates with broad interests and advert allergies.
Roughly speaking there are two kinds of Hulu plans. There is Hulu itself, which is an on-demand service like Netflix with pricing from $6.99/mo up to $19.99/mo. Built on top of this is Hulu + Live TV, which is exactly that: the base Hulu bundle with the addition of 85+ live TV channels. Its price starts at $69.99/mo.
+ Live TV
+ Live TV
|Ad-Free Streaming Library||❌||✔||❌||✔|
|Download On-Demand Content||❌||✔||❌||✔|
|85+ Live TV Channels||❌||❌||✔||✔|
|Unlimited Cloud DVR||❌||❌||✔||✔|
The basic Hulu plan gives access to the on-demand streaming library for $6.99/mo. The no-ad version costs $12.99/mo. The Hulu bundle adds ESPN+ and Disney+ on top of these for $7/mo more. See our Hulu Review for details.
Hulu + Live TV is an access pass to 85+ live TV channels without cable for $69.99/mo. This includes the basic Hulu on-demand library, Disney+, and ESPN+. If you want the ad-free library, it costs an extra $6 per month for a total of $75.99/mo. That’s the Hulu + Live TV (No Ads) plan.
See our complete channel lineup comparison with FuboTV and DIRECTV STREAM.
Students can subscribe for $1.99/mo, a huge discount on the basic (ad-supported) Hulu plan. There is no such discount for the live TV plan.
There are four main add-ons you can buy that include premium movie networks like HBO and Starz. There are other channel add-ons as well as tech add-ons.
Pros and Cons Of Hulu + Live TV
|✔ On-demand library||❌ Lack of league-specific networks|
|✔ Unlimited DVR||❌ Only 2 simultaneous screens|
|✔ ESPN+ & Disney+|
Hulu + Live TV Channels
Here are all the non-local live TV channels on Hulu + Live TV in alphabetical order:
In addition, Hulu + Live TV provides access to the following local affiliates when they are available:
For a full discussion of the channel lineup, see our Hulu + Live TV Packages article. We also have a Hulu Live Local Channels Guide with all you need to know about network affiliates and regional sports networks (RSNs).
Stream Sports On Hulu + Live TV
The Hulu + Live TV plan has a decent list of sports channels. You get immediate access to ESPN, ESPN2, and three other ESPN network channels. Additionally, it provides the ESPN league channels ACC Network and SEC Network.
They also includes CBS Sports Network (CBSSN), Fox Sports 1 (FS1), Fox Sports 2 (FS2), Big Ten Network (B1G), Golf Channel, NFL Network, MotorTrend, and Olympic Channel.
Finally, if you are located in their coverage areas, Hulu + Live TV provides access to all the NBC Sports RSNs and SportsNet New York.
There is also a Sports add-on that provides NFL RedZone and a handful of other channels. See below.
Disney+ and ESPN+
Hulu + Live TV includes both Disney+ and ESPN+. You can find out more about both:
By themselves, you’ll have more entertainment and sports programming than you could reasonably watch. But combined with Hulu’s on-demand library and 85+ live TV channels, you should be able to watch anything you’re interested in.
Add-Ons With Hulu + Live TV
The base Hulu + Live TV includes everything you would expect from a cable TV package. But you have various options for more.
- Premium Channels: HBO Max (7 channels for $14.99/mo), Cinemax (2 channels for $9.99/mo), Showtime (2 channels for $10.99/mo), and Starz (5 channels for $8.99/mo).
- Entertainment: Includes AHC, CNBC World, Cooking Channel, Crime + Investigation, Discovery Family, Magnolia Network, and more for $7.99/mo.
- Sports: Gets you NFL Redzone, MAVTV, Outdoor Channel, Sportsman Channel, and both TVG channels for $9.99/mo.
- Español: Includes CNN en Español, Discovery en Español, Discovery Familia, ESPN Deportes, Fox Deportes, History Channel en Español, and Universo for $4.99/mo.
The basic Hulu + Live TV plan allows you to simultaneously stream on two screens. To watch live TV with Hulu on unlimited screens, you need to pay $9.99 extra.
(Note that there used to be a cloud DVR add-on for $9.99/mo. This is no longer available since Hulu added an unlimited DVR to its base service.)
When you purchase an unlimited screen add-on alongside premium channel bundles like HBO Max or Showtime, only five separate devices can stream from one account at-a-time (for those premium channels). Out of these devices, three can be away-from-home mobile devices.
Our Hulu + Live TV Packages Guide provides more information on all your add-on options.
Hulu Live Performance and Experience
We signed up for the free 7-day trial (no longer available) of the Hulu + Live TV plan and here’s what we found.
After you enter your personal details and billing information, you’re offered the add-ons we covered above. Then, you get a chance to personalize your Hulu account before you start streaming live channels.
The app is very slick and works well. Whether it’s useful features like picture-in-picture live TV or the simple account management options, it’s definitely easy to learn and use.
Perhaps the hundreds of categories of shows can be confusing, but that’s the gift and curse of customization.
Personalizing Your Hulu + Live TV Account
You can select what types of content you want to watch, like documentaries, or genres like Horror, Sci-Fi, or slow-burn drama, to name a few. Then, Hulu asks you to choose some specific movies and TV shows you might want to stream on-demand — these are added to your library of favorites.
Sports fans will be glad to know that Hulu + Live TV streamers can also select their favorite teams to watch live from six different sports leagues across five sports.
Before you complete the sign-up, you also choose your favorite channels, which will appear in the My Stuff tab. As you complete the personalization process, Hulu will ask if you want to share your data with content providers — we said no.
You can also toggle your Hulu dashboard between light and dark color schemes.
Browsing and Navigation On Hulu + Live TV
The main dashboard greets you with a featured movie or TV show. As a Hulu + Live TV subscriber, you’ll then see rows of streamable content from both the live networks and the on-demand content library.
You can choose from seven different tabs:
- Home: The main directory of both on-demand content and live networks, recommended based on your favorites and general popularity. Here you can also carry on watching unfinished programs, and browse between funky categories like “Bingeable TV” and many more.
- Live: A live network guide where channels are categorized by sports, news, movies, and kids channels. You can also view all available channels in a single list, or view your recently watched or favorite networks under a separate tab.
- My Stuff: All of the personalized content, including favorite movies, TV shows, sports teams, and networks are shown under this tab. Any of your favorites that are set to be taken down from the Hulu streaming library appear under an “Expiring” row — this is pretty useful.
- TV: A directory of TV shows split into 35+ browsable categories. You can navigate by clicking on a category, which then shows you even more categories of live, upcoming, popular, and various sub-categories of the types of networks you want to watch. The categories are useful if a bit overwhelming.
- Movies: Similarly laid out to the TV tab, categories on categories, along with featured movies in the foreground.
- Sports: A directory of all the current live sports shown on Hulu as well as upcoming sports games categorized by leagues like MLB and NHL. You can also see a row of all sports networks offered by Hulu + Live TV.
- Hub: This is Hulu’s unique section for its Hulu Originals and FX on Hulu series. You can watch original shows like The Handmaid’s Tale and Little Fires Everywhere, or go with FX on Hulu and watch shows like Dave, Breeders, and A Teacher. The Hub tab also shows all available channels below the featured original and FX streams.
Useful Live Streaming Features
Here are some features that stand out from the live streaming experience on Hulu + Live TV:
- Picture-In-Picture: Hulu allows you to minimize streams and carry on wandering in the browser/app. We opened a stream and then went back to the browsing screen, but the stream stayed open. We carried on browsing while watching the show, even when we switched between different tabs within the Hulu website.
- Carry-on-Demand: We began to watch a live episode of Rick & Morty on Adult Swim East, and Hulu then suggested that we keep watching the episode in its on-demand version at the time where we left off. This is cool.
- Stream Settings: You can set video quality as well as the autoplay function. When available, you can set audio preferences and subtitles. The subtitles can be customized in font, color, and size.
- DVR Management: When you record a live show, the DVR manager can be accessed through My Stuff > Manage DVR. Here you’ll see a visual presentation of what you’ve recorded over the last 9 months.
Hulu’s live TV features are practical, especially the picture-in-picture mode since you can roam your Hulu dashboard freely while watching live TV on the same screen.
Account Management On Hulu + Live TV
The account overview section shows you the following billing and subscription info:
- Upcoming Charges: The amount and date you’ll be charged next.
- Base Plan & Add-Ons: The base plan, it’s cost, and any channel add-ons you’ve selected like HBO Max, Starz, Showtime, and Cinemax and technical add-ons like Unlimited Screens.
- Payment Info: Manage your payment method and use any gift codes.
- Pause or Cancel: Take a break or cancel your plan entirely.
- Personal Settings & Devices: Manage your personal data as well as active devices.
It’s clutter-free and simple to manage.
Creating User Profiles
Under your Account > Profiles, you can create a new streaming profile to customize by clicking “Add Profile.”
- Give the profile a name
- Choose whether you want the content to have an active child filter for kid-friendly programs only
- Enter your date of birth
- Select “Create Profile.”
Then you can customize the profile for someone else, or just let them do it.
Hulu + Live TV Technical Specifications
Anyone who subscribes to the Hulu + Live TV plan is opting in for the following specs:
- Available Resolutions: SD (480p), HD (720p, 1080p), Ultra HD (4K)
- Frames-per-second (FPS): 60 fps
Note that 4K streaming is only available on selected on-demand shows, while live TV channels have a maximum resolution capacity of either 720 or 1080 pixels.
Hulu + Live TV’s performance and speed also depend on the device you stream on since each device has its own performance peak and capacity. See the list of supported devices, or refer to Hulu.com for the exact supported models.
Internet Speed Requirements
When you stream live TV or recorded content with Hulu, your recommended internet connection depends on the type of content.
Also, the higher the resolution, the more internet bandwidth you need. Hulu’s official internet speed recommendations per content type are as follows:
- Hulu’s Streaming Library – 3.0+ Mbps
- Live streams – 8.0+ Mbps
- 4K streams – 16+ Mbps
When you stream on Hulu, you can also select a “Data Saver” mode at the expense of higher resolutions.
Unlimited Cloud DVR Storage
Hulu’s live TV plan comes with unlimited cloud DVR storage included in the monthly price of $69.99.
The Hulu + Live TV plan allows you to pre-record multiple shows on your DVR, and stream those recordings on any supported device.
The only downside of this unlimited cloud DVR (and this is true of all such plans, not just Hulu’s) is that it is time-limited. You can record as much as you like but after 9 months, it is deleted.
This means that if there is something you want to share for years to come, you need to move it someplace permanent.
Unlimited cloud DVR storage is certainly easy. And many people prefer it. We prefer set amounts. For example, FuboTV gives you 750 hours of storage but it lasts forever.
Hulu + Live TV Streaming Devices
Hulu subscribers can stream live TV or on-demand content from Hulu’s library with over 20 types of devices. All Hulu plans allow simultaneous streams from two devices at-a-time. With the Live TV plan, you can upgrade to streams on unlimited devices for $9.99 with an add-on.
For the exact model numbers, refer to our Hulu + Live TV Device Guide.
Smart TVs and Displays
- Amazon Echo Show
- Android TV-enabled TVs
- LG TVs
- Samsung TVs
- VIZIO SmartCast TVs.
- Amazon Fire Tablet
- iOS (iPhones/iPads)
- Nintendo Switch
- PlayStation 4/5
- Xbox One
TV Devices and Boxes
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Xfinity Flex
Hulu + Live TV can also be viewed on all the major web browsers.
You can watch on-demand content only with Hulu on the following:
- Contour Stream Player
- PlayStation 3
- Xfinity X1
You can add or remove devices from your list of approved devices by heading to “Account” > “Manage Your Devices.”
Hulu + Live TV Alternatives
For some of us, $69.99 is a whole day’s work, so we want to know what we’re paying for. One way to get an idea of the value you’re getting is to compare Hulu + Live TV’s offer to similarly priced live TV streaming services.
We choose to compare Hulu’s live service with DIRECTV STREAM and FuboTV because both cost the same and are contract-free. Note that these are the basic plans compared, and add-ons are available for all three.
|Free Trial||❌||✔ (7 days)||✔ (5 days)|
|Live Chat Support||✔||❌||✔|
|Fast Forward Ads*||✔||✔||✔|
|Cloud DVR Storage||Unlimited||750 hours||Unlimited|
|Cloud DVR Storage Length||9 months||Unlimited||9 months|
|Frames Per Second (FPS)||Up to 60||Up to 60||Up to 60|
|Min Internet Speed**||8.0+ Mbps||7.0+ Mbps||8.0+ Mbps|
There are other services worth considering. YouTube TV ($64.99/mo) is the streaming service most like Hulu + Live TV but with nothing close to its on-demand content.
If price is a major concern, Sling TV offers two different streaming plans for $35/mo each with many low-cost add-ons available.
Finally, Vidgo offers a lot of channels — especially ones that feature college sports. Their base plan costs $59.95/mo. Note that it does not include a cloud DVR at this time.
What’s Missing on Hulu Live?
Some other streaming services outshine Hulu + Live TV in a few areas.
Some sports channels like the MLB Network, NBA TV, and NHL Network are missing, although Hulu Live does have the entire ESPN suite available, including ESPN College Extra. Besides, plenty of MLB, NFL, and NBA games are still streamed on Hulu live.
Hulu + Live TV also doesn’t provide AMC. But for most things, you could sign-up for AMC+.
The two-screen capacity on multi-screen streaming is a downside since Hulu + Live TV’s broad channel categories make it an ideal choice for roommates or families. But two devices is probably good enough most of the time and if not, you can upgrade to unlimited screens for $9.99/mo more.
Hulu + Live TV is hard to beat. Adding 85+ live TV channels to its outstanding on-demand library was always a good deal. But the inclusion of ESPN+ and Disney+ makes it irresistible. Its only real downside is that it doesn’t have many options for more exotic channels. It probably isn’t the best service for a major sports fan but it’s great for families with varied interests.
Why is Hulu + Live TV so expensive?
Live TV streaming is simply a lot more expensive than on-demand streaming. But Hulu + Live TV costs roughly what the competition does and offers a lot in return. Still, it used to be cheaper. Hulu raised the price of the Live TV plan from $54.99 to $64.99 in 2020, without offering much additional value for money. In 2021, they raised it again to $69.99, but with the substantial addition of ESPN+ and Disney+.
Can I watch Hulu + Live TV ad-free?
Yes, you can watch on-demand content ad-free with the Hulu + Live TV plan for an additional $6 dollars on top of the $69.99 monthly subscription price. The ad-free live TV plan is listed on Hulu as the Hulu + Live TV (No Ad) plan for a monthly cost of $75.99 with anytime cancelation. This allows you to watch and download ad-free streaming library content — it does not apply to live TV shows.
What internet speed is needed for Hulu + Live TV?
Hulu recommends minimum internet connection speeds based on the content you stream, and for Hulu + Live TV, the service provider recommends a minimum bandwidth of 8.0 Mbps. For the minimum internet speed recommendations to stream library content or 4K streams, see this technical specification review of Hulu + Live TV.
Why does Hulu keep buffering?
Sometimes users experience buffering problems with live streaming services like Hulu + Live TV — this is because the data transfer is too slow. If your internet speed is fine and you’ve tested your connection speed, it might also be that Hulu is sending the data slower than needed. Hulu has close to 40 million users, so the servers may be overloaded at times. Check with technical support.
Why am I not getting my local channels on Hulu live?
Hulu states that live local and regional sports networks are available subject to your location. If you can’t stream a particular live sports channel, it may be that you’re outside the required location. You may also experience this on the move. To see what you can and can’t stream from your location with Hulu + Live TV, go to Hulu’s website and use the location checker to see access requirements.
How does Hulu determine your local channels?
Not all areas have the same local affiliates. Hulu must contract with the available stations. Hulu + Live TV offers national, regional, and local TV channels that are determined by the streamer’s location. As an online service provider, Hulu has access to your IP address, and so your location. This is how they restrict and free up access to the applicable TV channels in your locality.
How many devices can Hulu + Live TV be used on simultaneously?
The Hulu + Live TV plan allows two simultaneous screens to stream separate shows on a single Hulu account. This is true for both the $69.99/mo live TV and the $75.99 ad-free live TV plans. Hulu offers an add-on for $9.99 where users can stream unlimited screens at once on a single account. See our device guide for details.