It’s true that all the major beauty contests were originally unapologetically based on purely physical attributes that most people today would agree are problematic. Yet in spite of this — or because of it — people continue to find the Miss USA pageants a popular source of entertainment. Read on to find out how you can cut the cord and still catch every minute of the yearly crown competition.
In a hurry? The last two years, Miss USA has aired on FYI. Two years ago, Miss Universe also aired on FYI but this year (as in other years past), it will air on Fox. These streaming services will let you watch both and much more!
- Sling TV: The Sling Blue plus Lifestyle Extra for $41/mo lets you watch these channels and over 50 others. Try one mont for just $16!
- Hulu + Live TV: This full cable replacement services gives you all your local channels and 80 more. Try it free for a week!
- DIRECTV STREAM: Although much more expensive at $94.99/mo, you get over 130 channels including a number from Starz Encore. Comes with a 14-day money-back guarantee.
Table Of Contents
What Is the Miss USA Pageant
Miss USA is one of America’s biggest beauty pageants. The contestant roster is comprised of the winners of the state Miss USA competitions (including the District of Columbia). Participants must be between 18 and 28 years of age and are judged equally in three areas: fitness, evening gown, and interview.
The winning Miss USA is awarded a luxury lifestyle in Los Angeles for the length of her reign, including a condo, red-carpet access to special events, modeling shoots, free products and services from pageant sponsors, and a platform from which to promote her cause of choice. She will also go on to represent the US at the international Miss Universe pageant (which is run by the same organization).
The first Miss USA contest was held in 1952 in Long Beach, CA. This was a direct result of the 1951 Miss America winner, Yolande Betbeze, refusing to participate in a photoshoot to promote sponsor Catalina’s swimsuits. Catalina’s owner Pacific Knitting Mills pulled its sponsorship of Miss America and founded the Miss USA contest.
Miss USA 2021 is twenty-three-year-old Miss Kentucky USA, Elle Smith, crowned on November 29, 2021 in Tulsa, Oklahoma at the Paradise Cove Theater, River Spirit Casino Resort. She takes the crown from Miss USA 2020 Asya Branch (Mississippi). Branch placed in the top 21 in last year’s Miss Universe.
First runner-up in 2021 was Miss North Dakota Caitlyn Vogel, second runner-up was Miss Florida USA Ashley Carino, and third runner-up was Miss Illinois USA Sydni Bennett.
Miss Teen USA
Miss Teen USA is the junior version of Miss USA, for young women 14 to 19 years of age. It was last televised in 2007, and has been webcast since 2009. The current Miss Teen USA is Miss Florida Teen USA, 18-year-old Breanna Myles, the first entrant from Florida to win. She was crowned November 27, 2021, at Tulsa, OK.
Miss Universe is one of the “Big Four” international beauty pageants. The other three are Miss World, Miss International, and Miss Earth. Delegates (contestants) are winners of their countries’ respective national pageants (such as Miss USA).
The current Miss Universe is Andrea Meza of Mexico, crowned May 16, 2021, with the next Miss Universe pageant scheduled for December 13, 2021, in Eilat, Israel.
Miss USA Channels
The channels for the Miss USA, Miss Teen USA, and Miss Universe pageants have changed a lot over the decades-long history of the contests.
There have been a lot of reasons. For instance, Donald Trump owned the entire Miss Universe Organization from 1996 to 2015, and during this time it was broadcast on NBC.
Then in 2015, NBC broke all ties to Trump for political reasons and Trump subsequently sold the pageants to WME/IMG. Below is a list of current channels for the Miss USA, Miss Teen USA, and Miss Universe pageants:
- Telemundo (in Spanish)
Miss Teen USA
- Miss Universe mobile app
- Miss Teen USA website
- Xbox Live
- PlayStation Network
- Telemundo (in Spanish)
Miss USA Live Stream
The Miss Teen USA pageant is already live-streamed globally, free of charge. You can watch on any of the sites or services listed above. Miss USA is televised on the A&E Networks channel FYI and Miss Universe on Fox. And both are broadcast on Telemundo in Spanish. So where can you find those channels? Almost everywhere, it turns out.
- Sling TV: Sling Blue, $35/mo, includes Fox. FYI is available in the Lifestyle Extra add-on, which is an additional $6/mo. No free trial, but the first month is just $10. For details, see our Sling TV review.
- Hulu + Live TV: The most popular live TV streaming service with 85+ channels plus Hulu’s huge library of on-demand shows. It costs $64.99/mo with a seven-day free trial. It’s got all three channels: FYI, Fox, and Telemundo. Check out our Hulu + Live TV review for more information.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Has lots of channels and regional sports networks arranged in four pricing tiers, starting at $69.99/mo. It carries Fox with all tiers, but FYI is only available on Ultimate or Premiere, starting at $94.99. Telemundo is available as a local network where available or as part of an add-on. See our DIRECTV STREAM review.
- FuboTV: A sports-oriented streaming service for $64.99/mo with a seven-day free trial, FuboTV carries Fox and Telemundo. Note, however, that it does not offer FYI or any of the A&E channels. This is also true of YouTube TV. For more, see our FuboTV review.
- Vidgo: A mid-level service starting at $55/mo. It carries Fox in most areas as well as FYI. It does not offer Telemundo even in its Spanish-language plan. Read our Vidgo review for more.
- Philo: A bargain streaming service for $25/mo after a seven-day free trial. No local networks or Spanish stations like Fox or Telemundo, but it does have FYI. Consult our review for details about Philo.
- Frndly: An even more bargain streaming service starting at $6.99/mo, it also doesn’t have the Fox or Telemundo networks but does carry FYI.
- Peacock: NBCUniversal’s streaming service simulcasts Telemundo’s live Spanish coverage, as does NBC.com. You can’t watch it live, but you can watch it free after it airs. It may take up to 8 days to become available. See our Peacock review for more information about it. Note: Peacock is the only place you can watch Miss America.
Watch Miss USA With Most Streaming Devices and TVs
All the main streaming services support most devices in use today:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android mobile
- Android TV (except DIRECTV STREAM)
- Apple TV
- Samsung smart TVs (except Vidgo).
Both Hulu and Sling support the Xbox. Sling supports the Oculus VR system. And Hulu supports the PlayStation and Nintendo Switch.
So make sure not to miss your yearly dose of glamorous, poised, confident, empowered, accomplished young women as they take to the stage to strut their mental and philanthropic stuff.
Remember, it’s your living room, so you can be as catty as you want– you’re not competing for Miss Congeniality. Cheer your favorite while making sure your cable company gets eliminated as soon as possible by signing up for one of the streaming services above!
What is the difference between Miss USA and Miss America?
Miss America and Miss USA are two separate contests. They feature several notable differences. Miss America recently did away with its swimsuit competition altogether, while Miss USA instead changed its own swimsuit category to “fitness.” Miss America features a talent component to its scoring; Miss USA has no talent portion. Most significantly, Miss USA’s winner goes on to compete in the Miss Universe international pageant; Miss America has no associated international contest.
How can I stream Miss America live?
The 100th Miss America competition finale will stream live exclusively on NBCUniversal’s Peacock on December 16, at 8 pm EST. This is the first Miss America competition since NBC aired the 2019 show. The 2020 Miss America was canceled due to COVID-19. It will also be moving from its traditional home in Atlantic City, NJ to the Mohegan Sun casino in Connecticut.