The American Heroes Channel is one place you can still turn to when you want to learn about history — especially World War II. And you don’t need a cable subscription to do so. Read on to learn your options!
In a hurry? Most of the live TV streaming services offer AHC. Here are our top choices:
- Sling TV: This low-cost streaming service offers almost endless options. Save 50% on your first month of Sling TV.
- FuboTV: If you like sports, this service with the Fubo Extra add-on gives you 160+ channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- DIRECTV STREAM: The Ultimate plan gives you AHC and much more. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
Table Of Contents
If you were into the History Channel at the beginning of the 21st century, you will probably enjoy the American Heroes Channel (AHC). It primarily showcases content about World War II, modern military technology, and other topics that History used to cover on a regular basis.
Let’s take a closer look at AHC’s history, some of its more popular shows, and how you can watch it without the need for a cable subscription.
What Is AHC?
In 1998, the channel that is now known as AHC debuted using the name Discovery Wings Channel. It was intended to focus on topics related to civilian and military aircraft.
However, in 2005, it was rebranded as the Military Channel. This came with a new focus on military technology, tactics, and similar topics.
In 2014, Discovery gave AHC its current name and slightly adjusted its format to include shows and documentaries about events prior to the 1940s.
- Against the Odds: This program focuses on stories of bravery and brotherhood from all the major wars of the 20th and 21st centuries. Episodes contain a mixture of historical footage and firsthand accounts from the people who were involved in the incidents being covered.
- America’s Most Badass: If you’ve ever wondered which American hero was the toughest, this show is for you. Each episode covers the exploits of four famous people who are known for either their military, scientific, or political prowess. The accomplishments of these individuals are then compared to determine which one was the bravest of the bunch.
- Evolution of Evil: Despite the pain and suffering that they cause, it seems as if at least one new dictator rises to power every generation. This show takes a look at what these people have in common and the lessons that we can learn from their exploits.
- Hitler: As the name suggests, this program takes a deep dive into the life of the man who rose to power as the leader of the Nazi party in Germany. Viewers will get to take a journey from his beginnings as a teenager all the way to the day that Germany was defeated by the Allies.
- Top 10 Warfare: Each episode of this program focuses on 10 storylines that either shaped a war or were influential in the evolution of military strategy. For instance, one episode focused on the various aircraft used on the battlefield while another focused on some of the most famous battles in history.
YouTube TV is the only major live TV streaming service that doesn’t offer AHC. All the others do either in their base plans or with add-ons.
- Sling TV: AHC is available as part of the Heartland Extra package for $6 per month. You will need to first purchase the Sling Orange or Sling Blue base package for $35 a month. Both plans come with 50 hours of cloud DVR. The Blue plan allows you to stream on up to 3 devices at once. (Sling TV review)
- Hulu + Live TV: The base package is $69.99 per month and comes with 85+ live channels, Disney+, and ESPN+. AHC is part of the Entertainment Add-on, which is an additional $7.99/mo. It comes with unlimited cloud DVR (9 month storage) and streaming on up to two devices. (Hulu + Live TV review)
- FuboTV: AHC is available through the Fubo Extra package, which is $7.99 monthly, and the least expensive base package starts at $69.99/mo. In all, you get 160+ live TV channels, 1000 hours of cloud DVR, and streaming on up to 10 devices. (FuboTV review)
- DIRECTV STREAM (formerly AT&T TV): You can get AHC by subscribing to the DIRECTV STREAM Ultimate plan, which starts at $104.99/mo. This plan offers more than 130 local, regional, and national channels. You’ll also get access to all the Starz Encore premium channels. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
- Philo: AHC Is part of Philo’s base plan, which includes more than 60 channels for $25 per month. This platform is perfect for those who don’t need access to local or sports channels. (Philo review)
- Vidgo: AHC is also a part of Vidgo’s base plan, which costs $59.95 per month. As with Fubo, this is an ideal service provider for sports fans, and it may also be worthwhile for those who tend to have a conservative worldview. (Vidgo review)
The AHC Go app allows you to stream all the Discovery channels. You must, however, log in with a TV provider that gives you access to the channel. All the streaming services above do so, except for Sling TV.
If you don’t care about the live TV channel, you can get AHC content in a few different ways.
- Discovery+: Starts at $4.99 and allows you to stream more than 55,000 episodes of programs that air on channels owned by Discovery. You can get an ad-free version of this service for $6.99 per month.
- Amazon Prime: You can buy episodes or seasons of shows. Probably better is to sign-up for the Discovery+ channel for $4.99/mo. (Amazon Prime review)
- Vudu: Allows you to purchase episodes from thousands of hit series that air on Discovery properties. You can also get access to hit movies while they are still being shown in theaters.
Devices to Live Stream American Heroes Channel
You can use most streaming devices to watch AHC:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Android mobile
- iOS devices
- Web browsers.
All the services (besides DIRECTV STREAM) support Android TV devices. DIRECTV STREAM offers its own device that you can purchase from them.
Hulu, Sling, and Fubo all support LG, Samsung, and VIZIO smart TVs and the Xbox gaming system. Hulu supports PlayStation units.
See our reviews for all the details.
There are other channels that fans of AHC will find interesting.
- Discovery: Airs content relating to a variety of subjects such as science, history, and technology.
- History: As the name suggests, History takes a closer look at the most important military battles, scientific discoveries and other events in human history. But these are generally relegated to non-prime-time.
- National Geographic: Mostly focuses on stories about people who live in remote or harsh environments and how they adapt to their circumstances.
- Military History: This channel is an offshoot of History that focuses solely on military battles, technology, and anything else that relates to the history of combat. It is only available through Hulu + Live TV.
- PBS: A nonprofit station that is funded almost entirely by its viewers and provides educational programming including many exceptional documentaries.
If you have a passion for history or the military, this channel is one that you should like. As this channel is available on a variety of streaming services, you can choose a platform that fits your needs and budget. We recommend Sling TV for streaming AHC.
- Cities With the Longest Active Championship Droughts - 05/20/2022
- Cities With the Most Professional Sports Championships - 05/09/2022
US States That Have Produced the Most MVPs- 04/21/2022