You no longer need cable to get your Spanish-language news from Latin America. CNN en Español is available without cable. Read on to learn your options.
In a hurry? Only two streaming services offer CNN en Español but they are two of the best:
- DIRECTV STREAM: Its base plan comes with CNN en Español and roughly 80 other channels. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
- Hulu + Live TV: Get it with the Español add-on along with 85+ other channels, ESPN+, and Disney+.
Table Of Contents
If you want the latest news en español about what’s going on in Latin America, from Mexico to Argentina, CNN en Español has you covered. With separate feeds from Mexico City, los Estados Unidos, and Buenos Aires, hispanohablantes can stay informed with programs like Café CNN, CNN Dinero, and Conclusiones.
But those in the US don’t need a cable company to receive all the noticias from América Latina. Read on for detalles.
What Is CNN en Español
CNN was launched by Ted Turner in Atlanta, Georgia in 1980. It was the first 24-hour all-news network. In 1988, CNN started producing its first news reports en español, Noticiero CNN, followed by Noticiero CNN Internacional in 1992 on CNN International, Las Noticias, and Noticias México.
But noticias latinas wouldn’t get their own 24-hour channel until 1997, when CNN opened news centers in Buenos Aires and Havana, and began broadcasting CNN en Español.
Today, CNN en Español is commonly available on TV providers throughout North, Central, and South America wherever Spanish is spoken. The major exceptions are Cuba and Venezuela, where it is blocked by the government. CNN responded to Venezuela’s 2017 ban by making CNN en Español available free of charge to Venezuelans via its website and YouTube.
The network has its own news centers all over Latin America. And it has its own correspondents around the world (separate from its parent-channel CNN).
The main feed is from the US and focuses on information of interest to the US Latino community. CNN en Español provides another feed in Mexico, focusing on Mexican affairs. A third feed covers news, sports, and events throughout the rest of Latin America.
In the US, the network intersperses live newscasts throughout the day with opinion and interview programs. There are also shows that feature narrower topics, such as technology and finance. A travel show and current affairs documentaries are also part of the lineup. It also airs post-season MLB games that air on TBS, but only in the US.
Many news channels from Mexico and Central and South America have sprung up in the last 25 years since CNN en Español launched. You can find a complete list of the channels available on US live TV streaming services below.
CNN en Español Shows
Programs on CNN en Español include:
- Directo USA: Top stories from the US with Juan Carlos Lopez
- Conclusiones: End of day news summary
- Panorama Mundial: Top stories from around the world
- DocuFilms con María Celeste Arrarás: Arrarás presents documentaries on a wide variety of topics
- Realidades en Contexto: Expert analysis on global news
- Clix: Technology news
- CNN Dinero: Financial news
- Oppenheimer Presenta: Roundtable discussions on economics, politics, cultural, and social issues hosted by Andrés Oppenheimer.
- Don Francisco: Reflexiones: Sábado Gigante host Don Francisco shares his thoughts on current issues at large through a series of interviews with celebrities and experts.
- Primera Mañana: Morning show hosted by Argentine journalist Nacho Girón, currently focusing on the global coronavirus pandemic.
- En diálogo con Longobardi: Weekly Sunday talk show with host Marcelo Longobardi of Argentinia.
- Triunfadores del Deporte: Elizabeth Pérez interviews athletes on their greatest triumphs.
- GloboEconomía: Economic and sociological trend analysis with José Antonio Montenegro.
Unblock Your Favorite Movies and Shows With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
Stream CNN en Español
CNN en Español is a pay TV channel, so you need a pay TV provider to get it. However, you don’t need a cable subscription. You can use a live streaming TV service instead.
What’s the difference? Streaming services use the internet, tend to be cheaper, and offer more flexible month-to-month plans. CNN en Español (and many of the other channels listed above) is carried by two of these services. Pricing and feature info below!
DIRECTV STREAM (formerly AT&T TV) makes it easy for hispanohablantes who watch CNN: it’s already in the (mostly English) Entertainment package, along with Univision and Galavisión, for $69.99/mo. Get DIRECTV STREAM free for 5 days.
If you want more than that, you’ll have to subscribe to the Español add-on, which is $15.99/mo additional. That will get you news channels Ecuador TV, FOROtv, NTN24, and TeleCentro, plus over 50 other channels of películas, deportes, and telenovelas.
Hulu + Live TV
To be honest, Hulu + Live TV is not a great service for Spanish speakers. There are no Spanish-language channels in their base package other than Telemundo. The canales en español they do have are $4.99/mo (in addition to the $69.99/mo base package), and there are only seven of them. The Español Add-on channels are: CNN en Español, Discovery en Español, Discovery Familia, ESPN Deportes, Fox Deportes, History en Español, and Universo.
But Hulu + Live TV does include Disney+ and ESPN+ with that base package, and Disney+ has Spanish audio for a lot of its content, especially the Disney shows and movies. It’s a great service but you need to be aware of its limits in terms of Spanish-language content.
The base plan comes with unlimited cloud DVR (9 months storage) and simultaneous streaming on up to two devices at once. For more information, see our Hulu + Live TV review.
CNN en Español Alternatives
Most of the general format broadcast networks, like Univision, Telemundo, Estrella TV, and Azteca, have some news content. Some have more than others. But if you want channels that are just news and information, here’s what’s available — aside from CNN en Español — on live TV streaming services in the US:
- CBTV Michoacán: Mexican channel with regional news and current affairs on the state of Michoacán. Available in Sling TV’s México Service.
- El Financiero Bloomberg TV: A joint venture between Mexico’s El Financiero and Bloomberg LP, covers business and finances. Available in Sling TV‘s Best of Spanish TV package. (See our Sling TV Latino review.)
- FOROtv: Televisa’s 24-hour news channel is in DIRECTV STREAM’s Español add-on, FuboTV’s Entretenimiento Plus, and on Vidgo’s Plus and Spanish plans.
- Milenio Televisión: One of Mexico’s oldest news channels. Available in Sling TV’s México Service.
- TeleFórmula: 24-hour news from Mexico’s largest radio company. Available in Sling TV’s México Service.
- NTN24: Nuestra Tele Noticias from Colombia, NTN24 is available through DIRECTV STREAM’s Español add-on, FuboTV’s Entretenimiento Plus, Sling TV’s Best of Spanish TV package and Sudamérica Service, and Vidgo’s Spanish plan.
- CDN: News and sports from the Dominican Republic; available as a premium subscription from Sling TV.
- Dominican View: News, sports, and special events, packaged for Dominicans in the United States. Can be found on Sling TV’s Caribe Service.
- Televisión Dominicana: US channel based in New York, geared toward Dominican and Latino viewers. Available in Vidgo’s Spanish plan.
- TeleCentro: Central American programming, including news and sports. Available through DIRECTV STREAM’s Español add-on.
- Ecuador TV: Currently owned by Sony, showing Ecuadorian news and documentaries. Available through DIRECTV STREAM’s Español add-on.
- TN: Argentina’s Todo Noticias channel. Available in Sling TV’s Sudamérica Service.
- France24 Español: The only channel here not specifically covering Latin America or some portion thereof, it’s France’s state-run news channel simulcast in Spanish. Part of Sling TV’s Best of Spanish TV package.
Superpower Your Live TV Streaming With a VPN
You can’t beat a VPN for privacy, security, and access. We have used them for years as an important part of our streaming toolkit and we recommend ExpressVPN. Other brands worth checking out include Hotspot Shield and CyberGhost.
|i||See our VPN Buyer’s Guide for complete information on how to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
Devices to Live Stream CNN en Español
DIRECTV STREAM and Hulu + Live TV allow you to watch CNN en Español on most TVs and other devices. These include:
- Android devices (smartphones, tablets)
- iOS devices (iPhones, iPads)
- Chromecast (devices and installed units)
- TV devices (Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku)
- Samsung TVs
- Web browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari).
DIRECTV STREAM offers its own device, which you can buy directly.
Hulu + Live TV supports a number of other devices. These include Android TV-powered units as well as LG and Vizio smart TVs. It also supports game devices: Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, Xbox One. It also supports other devices so check our review for complete details.
Whether you’re an immigrant far from home, a student trying to brush up on your Spanish, or a Latino-American looking for news relevant to your community, you can watch CNN en Español — no se necesita cable.
Just sign up for one of the streaming services above and you’ll be catching up with your noticias in no time. We recommend DIRECTV STREAM since it gives you more options. But Hulu + Live TV is an awesome service if you don’t require a lot of Spanish-language channels.
Why is CNN en Español banned in Venezuela?
In 2017, CNN and CNN en Español aired a report on their joint investigation into passports and visas issued by the Venezuelan government called “Passports in the Shadows.” The report alleged that over 150 Middle Eastern individuals — some tied to terrorist groups — had been fraudulently issued Venezuelan international documents.
The Venezuelan government responded by pulling the channel from the country’s cable providers. CNN en Español counter-responded by making its live stream on YouTube and its website available to Venezuelans free of charge.
Is CNN en Español the only CNN channel covering Latin America?
CNN en Español is not the only CNN channel covering Latin America. CNN Chile is a separate channel, covering Chilean current events and politics since 2008. CNN also licenses its name and content to Novus Media’s CNN Brasil, headquartered in São Paulo. Outside Latin America but in in the Spanish-speaking work, in 1999, CNN started a joint venture in Spain with Sogecable to launch CNN+ in Spanish. It shut down in 2010 after declining ratings.
How can I stream other news channels?
Here are our guides for watching other news channels:
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
Page Updates ▼▲
Added buttons for streaming services. Added VPN info. Image changes. Changed a few bits of content.
Pricing updates. Added links. Various changes to content.
Added sub-section. Updated one section. Image changes. Added links.
Added some links. Pricing updates. Reworded some things.
Added new section. Added links to streaming services. Updated some section headings. Added some links. Changed a few bits of content.
Sling TV: Top Halloween Selections Every Horror Fan Will Love - 10/22/2022
Coming Soon: New Arrivals On Hulu Live In August And Beyond- 07/31/2022
How to Watch Live TV on Hulu- 07/17/2022