In the last few years, many people have dropped cable and instead have begun to stream their favorite channels on devices like Roku. Such is the case with the most popular sports channel, ESPN.
For that reason, we’ve put together this guide to show you how to watch ESPN on Roku streaming players very easily and even free.
In a hurry? You can watch ESPN on Roku with these services:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 120+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save 50% on your first month of Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
fuboTV: ESPN Networks and Many More Sports Networks
fuboTV is a channel available on Roku free for 7 days. The channel is essentially a full cable TV replacement, offering ESPN’s slate of networks ranging from the flagship network to ESPN News.
When you sign up for the channel, you have a very similar experience to cable, with channel guides and the like. You even get a cloud DVR so you can record ESPN programming.
After the free 7-day trial, fuboTV charges a monthly fee starting at $49.99. However, unlike cable, you can cancel this channel whenever you want – there’s no contract.
How do you get this on your Roku? Simple, first go here and sign up for the free trial. Once you’re done with that, search fuboTV in the streaming channels section of you Roku. Add the channel and log in with your credentials. Then you’re ready to watch! Here’s more info on adding fuboTV to Roku devices.
fuboTV allows 2 simultaneous streams at the base level. You can add an extra stream for $5.99 per month.
It’s also worth noting that there are other similar streaming services you can use to watch ESPN online.
Unblock Your Favorite Movies and Shows With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
Can You Watch ESPN on Roku for Free?
The methods mentioned above for streaming ESPN on Roku all offer free trials. That means you can watch ESPN free during the trial period for each service you try. However, after that, you must pay the monthly subscription fee if you want to maintain access to ESPN programming.
The only other legal way to watch ESPN free on Roku is the ESPN Roku channel (formerly WatchESPN). This is ESPN’s official app. However, “free” isn’t exactly what you’d expect. While you don’t have to actually pay for the WatchESPN app, you do have to have a valid provider login to gain access to programming.
In other words, you must use credentials from a service like the one mentioned above, or from your cable subscription.
Now, some people share logins with their friends and family to access the WatchESPN app for free. However, this may violate terms of service and is generally frowned upon.
How to Re-Authenticate ESPN on Roku
From time to time, you may accidentally get logged out of your WatchESPN app on your Roku player. So in that case, you’ll need to re-authenticate. Here’s how to reauthenticate ESPN on Roku:
- Go to the ESPN channel on your Roku device.
- Click the settings gear in the top right corner.
- Under “account information” click “TV Provider.
- Here you’ll receive instructions to go to espn.com/activate on your computer or mobile device.
- Once at the web address, enter the activation code from your Roku device.
- Select your TV provider and log in with your credentials.
Once you’ve logged in, you’ll likely have to wait a moment, and your WatchESPN channel on your Roku player will re-authenticate.
You can also learn how to watch ESPN on Fire TV here.
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
- Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11] - 11/15/2022
- Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10] - 11/13/2022
- 🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10] - 11/12/2022