If you are a fan of Freeform and its uplifting and inspiring content, you don’t need to fear losing it if you decide to ditch cable. Read on to learn all your choices.
In a hurry? Pretty much all of the major live TV streaming services offer Freeform. These are our top picks:
- Hulu + Live TV: Our favorite all-around streaming service comes with Disney+ and more.
- FuboTV: If there is a sports fan in your house, this is the way to get Freeform. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- DIRECTV STREAM: A great streaming service with an easy path away from cable. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
Freeform is a television network that delivers a variety of original programming. It gears its offerings towards the “becomers,” a generation that is in the formation of their lives. It encourages social engagement and moves the modern cultural picture a “little forward.”
To enjoy the shows and specials that are aired, you do not need a cable subscription. Thanks to the multitude of streaming options, you can choose one that works best for your needs.
Freeform has gone through a few names. Originally premiering in 1977, its first title was the CBN Satellite Service, a part of Pat Robertson’s Christian Broadcasting Network. A few decades later, it became centered on family programming and was known as the Family Channel.
In 1998, Fox Kids purchased the network and renamed things to Fox Family. By 2001, a large acquisition occurred, and Disney became owner of the network. Therefore, the name was changed to ABC Family.
January 2016 saw its evolution to Freeform. The name was chosen to represent the model behind the network. Viewers are “free to push beyond the expected.” It is filled with programs that aim to please the demographics that span the ages of people going from “first kiss to first kid.” Sister channels like ABC, Disney, Fox, and Nat Geo offer similar vibes.
Freeform offers a selection of family dramas and wholesome comedies.
- The 700 Club: Even though the long-standing televangelist Pat Robertson has retired, his well-known Christian talk show is still going strong. This is one of the longest running programs in television history. Although it does not fit the traditional target audience, it is still a show that draws a large audience.
- The Bold Type: This series is a modern day millennial soap opera that follows three best friends who work for the same magazine. The plot revolves around their twists and turns as they work and find love in New York.
- Good Trouble: This is a drama that picks up a few years after the end of The Fosters.
- Cruel Summer: One of the newest teen dramas on the network, this thriller follows two teenagers through the 1990s. It showcases the mysterious results after one girl takes the place of the other girl who disappeared. The story is told from the viewpoints of the characters.
- Grown-ish: A top-rated Freeform original, it is a spinoff of the popular ABC series Blackish. Do you remember the struggles of college life? You can reminisce through the oldest daughter’s challenges with growing up and leaving the family nest.
- Motherland: Fort Salem: If you are a fan of the supernatural, you will love this fantasy drama. It centers around three witches who join the Army and use spells and incantations throughout combat training.
Since Disney is the parent company of Freeform, you can catch a number of Disney movies on the network as well.
Freeform also features themed series.
- 31 Nights of Halloween: For a frightfully good time, you can turn to Freeform during the entire month of October and satisfy your wicked cravings for everything scary.
- 25 Days of Christmas: Most people love the feelings that the holiday season brings. Freeform runs this series throughout the month of December. It counts down with various holiday movies and similar program that make you holly and jolly.
- 30 Days of Disney: In 2019, Disney kicked off 30 days of special Disney movies on Freeform. Films like Cars, Toy Story, and Descendants filled the lineup. Although this was a treat to many viewers, it is unclear whether or not the network will continue this annual special.
Freeform is a popular network that is included in the base plans for most live TV streaming services.
Hulu + Live TV
For $69.99 per month, Hulu + Live TV offers 85+ live TV channels, including Freeform and Disney. Local channels and similar family entertainment is available, which makes this an attractive offer — especially considering it also comes with Disney+ and ESPN+.
Freeform is available on Sling TV’s Orange Plan at a price of $35 per month. Enjoy approximately 30 other channels like ESPN, Disney Channel, and Cartoon Network. This is a great choice if you want to keep costs down. Currently, save 50% on your first month of Sling TV.
The lowest-priced DIRECTV STREAM (formerly AT&T TV) plan includes Freeform and roughly 80 others at a cost of $69.99 per month. Also, you get unlimited cloud DVR storage as long as you sign-up online and streaming on up to 20 (!) devices at once. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
Other Ways to Stream
- YouTube TV: For $64.99 per month, you can take advantage of 85+ popular channels, including Freeform. You gain unlimited DVR storage as well.
- Vidgo: Popular for its family entertainment and sports programming. For $59.95 for a month, you enjoy 100 top channels like Freeform. (Vidgo review)
- Hulu: The on-demand service is quite affordable at $6.99 per month. You enjoy 10,000+ titles, which include many Freeform programs. Unfortunately, live streaming is unavailable. (Hulu review)
- Amazon Prime Video: One of the most popular ways to view episodes of your favorite Freeform shows. With membership, many titles are free with ads. Others are available for purchase of $1.99 per episode. (Amazon Prime Video review)
- Freeform App: Freeform can be streamed directly from the app. However, to take advantage of the content, a TV provider is necessary.
Devices to Live Stream Freeform
All the streaming services above support the most popular devices:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android mobile
- Apple TV
- iOS (iPhone,iPad)
- Web browsers.
All the services except for DIRECTV STREAM support Android TV-powered device. Other than Vidgo, they all support Samsung smart TVs. Fubo, Sling, and Hulu support Xbox gaming consoles. Hulu supports PlayStation and Nintendo Switch systems.
Our streaming reviews for all the details on supported devices.
Freeform has gone through many facelifts throughout the years, but it continues to deliver content that targets a younger audience. Original shows and its Disney affiliation make it a worthwhile channel to have at your fingertips.
Instead of tying yourself to an expensive cable subscription, services like Hulu + Live TV provide great alternatives.
- Cities With the Longest Active Championship Droughts - 05/20/2022
- Cities With the Most Professional Sports Championships - 05/09/2022
US States That Have Produced the Most MVPs- 04/21/2022