True Crime cord-cutters don’t need to worry about Oxygen. They have several options for getting the channel without cable. Read on to learn more.
In a hurry? Most of the major live TV streaming services offer Oxygen with their base plans. We think these are the best:
- FuboTV: With 100+ channels, it offers something for everyone. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: Probably the best streaming service in terms of customization with a super low price. Save 50% on your first month of Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Provides everything you expect from cable with many options. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
If you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows because of your location, try ExpressVPN to get access to the content you deserve.
If you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows because of your location, you need a VPN. Here are our top picks from our VPN guide:
Table Of Contents
Oxygen, the NBCUniversal-owned cable network, has become the place to go to watch the best crime shows. Whenever the mood strikes, you can become an armchair detective and enjoy juicy real-life mystery shows.
To view this type of programming, you don’t require a cable subscription. There are many services that let you stream this kind of suspense.
What is Oxygen?
In 1998, Oxygen Media was founded by Geraldine Laybourne, Karen Mandabach, Marcy Carsey, Tom Werner, and Oprah Winfrey. The Oxygen Network officially launched in February 2000.
In the very early days, the programming lineup was filled with some original shows, popular 80s reruns, and an interactive service that featured a stripe at the bottom of the screen. It was used to pass along additional information to viewers. The main focus audience was women. It was one of the first networks to target entertainment to females.
On October 9, 2007, it was announced that NBCUniversal would be buying the network for approximately $825 million. The following year, the channel was rebranded. By 2014, division heads decided to shift programming toward a modern young female audience. Its logo became “Very Real.”
Three years later, Oxygen was reformatted again and concentrated mainly on true crime programs. This genre had become quite popular. In fact, the logo featured well-recognized yellow crime tape. In many ways, the network filled the void for the defunct CourtTV.
Today, Oxygen has a full library of crime shows. It caters to millennial multicultural women. Like its other sister channels, many of the shows are unscripted. If you love action, you should check out Bravo, USA, Sci-Fi, and E! Each of these has a similar vibe to Oxygen.
To repeat, Oxygen is full-speed crime. Over the years, it has created quite a following for its current original programming. When you are in the mood for a mystery, murder, or exposed secret, it’s time to watch Oxygen. If you give it a try, it’s almost impossible not to become addicted to some of the most popular Oxygen shows.
- Snapped: Love can be a beautiful thing. On the other hand, it can turn deadly when revenge is involved. Snapped is the longest-running original series on Oxygen. It follows some of the most bizarre cases of women who are accused of murdering their lovers. In fact, this program is extremely popular and always brings in big ratings. It was a major reason why NBCUniversal branded Oxygen as a crime network.
- Buried in the Backyard: The title of the show perfectly describes the main plot. Each week, you watch true crime stories of victims who were found buried in some of the most unsuspicious sites. What will be uncovered next?
- Famous Cases Explained: Over the decades, the world has been filled with famous murders. This series gives unprecedented access and delivers in-depth explanations of cases like The Hollywood Ripper, The Zodiac Killer, and the death of Jimmy Hoffa.
- The Real Murders of Atlanta: Atlanta may be a beautiful place to visit, but the area is not empty of excitement. This program spotlights some of the city’s deadliest murder cases. Each one-hour episode features homicide crimes as told by the witnesses, detectives, and reporters who were involved.
- Chicago PD: From the Emmy-award winning producer Dick Wolf, Chicago PD is a sister production to Chicago Fire and Chicago Med. If you missed it the first time around, you can catch reruns on Oxygen. Enjoy one of the best police action dramas ever made.
- Dateline: Secrets Uncovered: One of NBC’s most popular real-life broadcasts for over 25 years. Oxygen gives you a second look at some of the most intriguing cases of all times. Who doesn’t like when secrets are uncovered?
Unblock Your Favorite Movies and Shows With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
Oxygen is a major network that is included with most streaming services.
- FuboTV: Although FuboTV is known for its sports access, its $69.99 per month plan includes some great entertainment networks. Oxygen is just one of the 110+ channels that you can enjoy. (FuboTV review)
- DIRECTV STREAM: The former AT&T TV offers a number of packages. To view Oxygen, you will need to purchase the Ultimate Package, which starts at $104.99 per month. You will enjoy 130+ live channels and local TV stations. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
- Sling TV: The Sling Blue plan is $35 per month. To get Oxygen, you need to upgrade with the Lifestyle Extra add-on for $6/mo more. This provides several other channels like all three Hallmark stations, VH1, and Lifetime Movie Network. (Sling TV review)
- Hulu + Live TV: Get full access to 85+ major channels, including Oxygen, along with exclusive series and Hulu originals. For $69.99 per month, you get all this alongside Disney+ and ESPN+. (Hulu + Live TV review)
- YouTube TV: A good overall streaming service with 85+ channels for $64.99 per month.
- Peacock: For $4.99 per month, Peacock gives you access to 50+ live TV channels, including Oxygen. Next day on-demand access to current hits are unlimited. Also, you enjoy 40,000+ hours of movies and more. (Peacock review)
- Amazon Prime: Offers a number of episodes that are featured on Oxygen. With membership, certain TV shows are free. Others my cost $1.99 per episode. (Amazon Prime Video review)
- Oxygen App: Luckily, NBCUniversal offers apps for all its channels, including Oxygen. You simply select the “Live” option to enjoy real-time entertainment. However, you need a TV provider like one of the streaming services discussed above to run the app.
Devices and TVs to Live Stream Oxygen
Streaming services support most devices in use these days. All of these are universally supported:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android mobile devices
- Apple TV
- iOS devices (iPhone, iPad)
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Web browsers.
DIRECTV STREAM offers its own device for $120 or $5/mo.
Other than DIRECTV STREAM, all the services support Android TV, LG, and VIZIO smart TVs as well as the Xbox One. Hulu also supports the PlayStation and Nintendo Switch.
Other devices are supported. Our streaming service reviews have the details.
Superpower Your Live TV Streaming With a VPN
You can’t beat a VPN for privacy, security, and access. We have used them for years as an important part of our streaming toolkit and we recommend ExpressVPN.
|i||See our VPN Buyer’s Guide for complete information on how to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
If you like true crime, Oxygen is your TV destination. The lineup is filled with reality documentaries and TV shows that delve inside many famous police cases. You can enjoy many adventures and solve bizarre mysteries each day.
For cord-cutters, we recommend Hulu + Live TV to get access to Oxygen.
Without a cable subscription, you can follow the trail of a cold case right from your living room. Don’t just breathe oxygen. Stream Oxygen today!
Supplementary Entertainment Channels without Cable
The following guides includes other entertainment channels to watch online:
Ditch “Big Cable” Now — 3 Simple Steps to Cutting the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, gain control, and enjoy TV more!