Even after the end of Schitt’s Creek, Pop TV is one of the best general entertainment channels around. And despite being a “cable” channel, you don’t need cable to access it. Read on to learn everything you need to know.
In a hurry? The top live TV streaming services offer Pop TV. These are our favorites:
- Hulu + Live TV: Get 85+ live channels, an outstanding on-demand library, and ESPN+, and Disney+.
- FuboTV: Although known for its sports coverage, it’s 110+ channels feature a broad selection including Pop. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- DIRECTV STREAM: A great service that makes it easy to transition from cable to streaming. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
Table Of Contents
Pop TV, which is officially known simply as Pop despite having a domain name of PopTV.com, is a pop-culture channel best known for its airing of Schitt’s Creek. Previously, it was the TV Guide Channel, which provided updated television listings in the days before extensive online availability of that information.
Pop TV Basics
The short version of the story of Pop TV is that it used to be an electronic television guide that you could watch to see which shows, movies, sports events, concerts, and other events you want to watch. That was before it transitioned to a regular pay television channel that focuses on pop culture.
When it launched in 1981, it provided those television listings in a relatively slow format, resulting in most viewers needing to spend several minutes to see all of the channels. The audio was often provided by a local radio station that focused on music.
In the late 2000s, it started to focus more so on general entertainment, specifically dramas and sitcoms. However, it wasn’t until 2015 that it took on its Pop moniker. Its previous names were Electronic Program Guide, Prevue Guide, Prevue Channel, TV Guide Channel, TV Guide Network, and TVGN.
Here is a list of some of the popular shows that have or are airing on Pop TV:
- Beverly Hills, 90210: This series was one of the most popular franchises of the 1990s as Brandon and Brenda adapted to life in California after moving from Minnesota. Nearly 300 episodes were produced.
- Big Brother: After Dark: A Big Brother spinoff that differs from the original in that it focuses on what happens in the Big Brother house after the sun goes down.
- Charmed: This show features three sisters who are witches and who do their best to protect others from warlocks and demons. It was broadcast from 1998-2006 and really helped raise the WB’s profile.
- Clique: This is a British show that originally aired on the BBC. Its main focus is a group of young women attending a university in Edinburgh, Scotland, and what happens to them there.
- ER: One of the most popular shows of the 1990s and 2000s. Featuring characters in an emergency room in Chicago, it has won numerous Emmy Awards and set the stage for the success of Grey’s Anatomy.
- Florida Girls: This is a short-run series that received high reviews, including an 85% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It ran for just 10 episodes and features women in a trailer park looking to leave it.
- Gilmore Girls: This show, which was originally broadcast from 2000-2007, is another one that really raised the WB’s profile with its impressive reviews and devoted fans. Lorelai and Rory are its main characters.
- Hot Date: Pop TV broadcast the two seasons that this show aired from 2017-19. It is a comedy that features funny insights into the modern day dating and relationship world while focusing on a couple.
- One Day at a Time: This is a reboot of a series by the same name that aired from 1975-1984. The original version was one of CBS’s staples at the time while the current edition has received near unanimous praise.
- Schitt’s Creek: This program, which is arguably Pop’s premiere show, was originally solely a Canadian production airing on CBC. After the first season, CBC and Pop TV combined to produce it.
- Wolf Creek: Another international program that Pop brings to American audiences. It is an Australian horror series that features an American tourist there looking for revenge on a would-be killer.
Several multi-channel streaming services provide live access to Pop TV while its programing may also be viewed in other ways after having been aired.
Hulu + Live TV
Hulu + Live TV ($69.99/mo) offers subscribers with a way to stream Pop TV as well as channels such as MTV, Lifetime, National Geographic, TBS, TNT, and Animal Planet. You also enjoy free access to ESPN+ and Disney+.
FuboTV ($69.99/mo) provides 110+ channels. Known for its live sports coverage, it also provides Pop and other entertainment channels like VH1, TLC, Animal Planet, MTV, Comedy Central, and TV Land. Try FuboTV free for 7 days.
DIRECTV STREAM (formerly AT&T TV) provides viewers with roughly 100 live TV channels through its Choice plan ($89.99/mo). That includes Pop TV. Also included are TLC, USA, TNT, Discovery, CNN, and Comedy Central. You can also pay for a higher tier, such as its Ultimate plan ($104.99/mo) or Premier plan ($149.99/mo). Get DIRECTV STREAM free for 5 days.
If you sign-up online, all plans come with unlimited cloud DVR storage and streaming on up to 20 devices at the same time. See our DIRECTV STREAM review for more.
If you are looking for streaming access to Pop TV, consider a subscription to YouTube TV ($64.99/mo). Also included for that price are MTV, MTV Classic, TBS, TNT, Travel Channel, IFC, AMC, and Comedy Central.
Specific Pop TV shows are available on-demand in various places:
- PopTV.com: A small selection of complete episodes is available for viewing for free on the channel’s official website.
- Pop Now: The Pop TV app is available on Android, iOS, and Roku. It allows you to watch a significant amount of Pop TV’s content, including every episode of Schitt’s Creek, at no cost. It also provides access to other content that can be watched if you log in with TV Everywhere credentials.
- Other: There are also other options for watching full episodes of shows broadcast on Pop. For example, Nightcap is available through Hulu as well while you can watch Schitt’s Creek through Netflix. Also, access to episodes of various shows may be purchased through Amazon Prime Video, iTunes, Google Play, and Vudu.
TVs and Devices to Live Stream Pop TV
The streaming systems we’ve discussed above most likely support whatever devices you currently use. These include:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android mobile
- Apple TV
- iOS (iPhone,iPad)
- Web browsers.
DIRECTV STREAM has its own device that you can purchase from them if you would like.
All the services but DIRECTV STREAM also support Android TV-compatible, VIZIO, LG, and Samsung smart TVs in addition to Xbox gaming systems. Hulu and YouTube support PlayStation units.
This is an incomplete list with only the most popular devices. See our streaming service reviews for complete lists.
Pop TV is where you can watch shows such as Charmed and ER. If you are looking for Pop as part of an overall entertainment package, we recommend Hulu + Live TV.
Is Pop TV related to Pop in the UK?
The US version of Pop TV has no connection with Pop, a channel that broadcasts to the UK and Ireland. It isn’t alone in this regard. There are a few channels named Pop or Pop TV throughout the world that have nothing to do with the US version. Other ones may be found in Slovenia and Pakistan.
Can I watch Pop TV for free?
You cannot watch a live broadcast of whatever is airing on Pop TV at any given time for free except through a free trial from a live TV streaming service. But you can watch select episodes for free on the channel’s official website, PopTV.com, and you can watch a lot more, including all of Schitt’s Creek, through Pop Now.
- Cities With the Longest Active Championship Droughts - 05/20/2022
- Cities With the Most Professional Sports Championships - 05/09/2022
US States That Have Produced the Most MVPs- 04/21/2022