If you want to have Universal Kids and similar channels available for your family, it’s no problem doing so without signing up for a long-term cable contract. Read on to learn all you need to know.
In a hurry? The biggest live TV streaming services offer Universal Kids. These are our top picks:
- Fubo: With 150+ channels, it offers something for everyone. Fubo allows you to try out its service with a free trial.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Makes it easy to switch from cable to streaming with their 75+ channel Entertainment plan and options for much more. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
- Hulu + Live TV: This total entertainment streaming service provides a great on-demand selection and all the essential live TV channels.
If you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows because of your location, try ExpressVPN to get access to the content you deserve.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that offers this TV channel. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the sports, movies, and TV you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
| ||Sign Up Now|
| ||Sign Up Now|
| ||Sign Up Now|
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
Universal Kids is a channel that is dedicated to delivering programs for children from ages two to pre-teen. It offers a variety of animated series that please both parents and children.
Don’t worry about managing an expensive cable subscription. You can watch Universal Kids over a multitude of platforms. Let’s take a closer look.
What Is Universal Kids
Universal Kids is the family network for NBCUniversal. This channel has a long and interesting history.
Originally, it started as PBS Kids. It was launched in 1999 as a block of children’s programming. It was offered to PBS members, upper package cable subscribers, and PBS member stations that paid a subscription fee.
Unfortunately, it could not compete with Children’s Television Workshop’s Noggin channel. So in September 2005, a joint venture between Sesame Street Workshop, PBS, and HIT entertainment was formed to create PBS Kids/Sprout. Primarily, it dedicated its shows to the preschool audience.
In 2013, NBCUniversal became the primary owner, and the PBS Kids name was dropped. Rebranding occurred in 2017. At that time, Universal Kids was born and started a lineup of primetime programs that pleased the younger crowd.
For example, it carried content from DreamWorks animation, international series, and spinoffs from sister networks like Top Chef Junior and American Ninja Junior. Today, it has stopped producing original programs and rests mainly on acquired content and DreamWorks entertainment.
Unblock Your Favorite Movies and Shows With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
Universal Kids Shows
Due to a decrease in ratings, Universal Kids decided to stop developing original content. However, there are many shows from the past that remain very popular.
For instance, The Chica Show, which was based on the puppet segments on Sprout’s The Sunny Side Up Show. This beloved show ended in 2015. Now, short videos are available to watch on the Universal Kids website.
A similar animated series, The Floogals, has videos and games on the website as well. Other favorites like American Ninja Warrior Junior, Top Chef Junior, and Get Out of My Room may now be viewed on Peacock.
Despite the changes, there are many current favorites that may be streamed from Universal Kids.
- Remy & Boo: Pairs a little girl and her best friend, a tiny blob. Her imagination takes them on many adventures, which teaches the importance of friendship.
- CoComelon: Preschoolers love singing and dancing to their favorite nursery rhymes as they watch babies and animals go through everyday activities.
- Masha and the Bear: The show is based on a children’s folktale. Masha and her bear go on many new ventures as she tries to keep him out of trouble.
- Mighty Mike: Mike is an adorable pug. He tries to live a relaxing life in his big mansion. However, mischievous furry visitors try to put a damper on his plans.
- Trolls: Based on the popular fad dolls of the 1980s, Trolls takes kids on musical adventures through Trolls’ Village. The bright colors attract young watchers, and everyone enjoys some singing and dancing.
Stream Universal Kids
Universal Kids is available on different TV streaming services.
- FuboTV: FuboTV delivers 110+ channels, including Universal Kids, Disney Junior, and Nick Jr. For $69.99 per month, you receive numerous ways to view sports programs and kids shows. All plans come with at least 750 hours of cloud DVR and simultaneous streaming on ten devices. (FuboTV review)
- DIRECTV STREAM: If you subscribe to the Ultimate package for $104.99 per month, you enjoy great channels like Universal Kids, PBS Kids, BabyFirst, Nick Jr, and Disney Junior. All plans come with unlimited DVR storage (online sign-up only) and streaming on up to 20 devices at once. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
- Hulu + Live TV: Includes Universal Kids in its base plan for $69.99 per month. It includes 85+ total channels including Nick Jr, Disney Junior, and Discovery. Additionally, it comes with ESPN+ and Disney+. You also get unlimited cloud DVR (9 month storage) and streaming on up to two devices. (Hulu + Live TV review)
- YouTube TV: For $64.99 per month, your package includes 85+ channel including Universal Kids. Unlimited cloud storage and streaming on up to three devices is also included.
Various shows from Universal Kids are available on-demand on a variety of services.
- Amazon: Offers a number of Universal Kids shows for approximately $1.99 per episode. Some of the most popular titles, including The Floogals, are available. (Amazon Prime review)
- Vudu: A great alternative to Netflix and Hulu. Its numerous offerings make it easy to stream episodes of Universal Kids shows.
- Google Plus Movies: Similar to Amazon, you can purchase individual episodes of favorite Universal Kids shows for $1.99 per show.
- Hulu On-Demand: Known for its vast library of shows and movies. You can only view UK’s latest DreamWorks series Where’s Waldo? on Hulu. But there is a vast trove of kids entertainment available. (Hulu review)
Superpower Your Live TV Streaming With a VPN
You can’t beat a VPN for privacy, security, and access. We have used them for years as an important part of our streaming toolkit and we recommend ExpressVPN. Other brands worth checking out include Hotspot Shield and CyberGhost.
|i||See our VPN Buyer’s Guide for complete information on how to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
There are several good alternatives to Universal Kids:
- Disney Junior: Provides programming that is aimed at young children.
- Nick Jr: The preschool offshoot channel to Paramount’s Nickelodeon. Favorite shows include Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol, and Blue’s Clues & You.
- PBS Kids: Public broadcasting was once tied directly with Universal Kids through its Sprout offerings. Today, it features existing series. In 2020, it became home to the Peanuts animated library.
- YouTube Kids: YouTube began a unique channel for a younger audience. Children can view age-appropriate content so that parents can rest easy.
Streaming Devices to Watch Universal Kids
All of the streaming services above support the most popular devices:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android mobile
- Apple TV
- iOS (iPhone,iPad)
- Samsung smart TVs
- Web browsers.
Other than DIRECTV STREAM, all the services support:
- Android TV-based TVs
- LG smart TVs
- VIZIO smart TVs
- Xbox system.
Hulu and YouTube also support PlayStation units.
This list is incomplete. See our streaming service reviews for complete information.
Although Universal Kids has a deep history, it continues to provide quality kids’ entertainment shows on one channel. There are few networks that devote total programming to children. However, this is one that appeals to youngsters and parents.
Luckily, you can stream episodes without a cable subscription. We recommend Hulu + Live TV.
Why doesn’t Universal Kids produce new content anymore?
Unfortunately, when Universal tried to rebrand Sprout, ratings declined dramatically. The decision was made to continue the network but no longer develop original shows. Instead, it has increased its acquisitions from the NBCUniversal umbrella and third-party producers. However, the animation division has seen the launch of two new series by DreamWorks. These include Where’s Waldo? and Norman Picklestripes.
How can I stream old shows from PBS Kids Sprout?
Numerous streaming services offer Sprout programs. For example, Hulu and Amazon both offer episodes. Hulu subscribers may stream old Sprout shows through its live TV service. On Amazon, old favorites like Caillou have full seasons available that are free for prime members. Other shows are available as well.
How can I stream other family and kids channels?
Our options to watch related channels:
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
Page Updates ▼▲
Updated some section headings. Updated some sub-sections. Image changes.
Image changes. Formatting changes.
Added VPN info. Image changes. Various changes to content.
Added buttons for streaming services. Pricing updates. Misc changes.
Pricing updates. Misc changes.
Added some links. Misc changes.
Added sub-section. Linking.
Added sub-section. Mentioned channel info. Reworked one section. Added useful links. Changed a few bits of content.
States That Have Produced the Best Actors and Actresses- 09/06/2022
Exclusive Sports on Hulu + Live TV- 07/24/2022
Just How Good Is Hulu + Live TV’s Local TV Coverage?- 07/03/2022