Looking to watch basketball online without a cable sticking out the back of your TV? You’re in the right place because on this page we explain where you can see your favorite teams shoot some hoops in some of the top US leagues.
In a hurry? If you just want to start watching basketball, check out these services:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 120+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save 50% on your first month of Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
If you are a basketball fan, it can be intimidating to stop using cable. But there is really nothing to be concerned about. The top streaming services offer access to both NCAA basketball and NBA that is every bit as good as what you get with cable plans. Most likely, you’ll get access to even more games and associated events.
Stream Your Favorite Teams
We’ve put together guides to get you started watching your favorite teams without the cost of a cable subscription.
NBA Online Without Cable
Here are the main guides on how to watch NBA games online without cable. We created separate pages for particular leagues like the G League and the All-Star Game too:
- How to Watch NBA Without Cable TV (2021)
- How to Watch NBA G League Online Without Cable
- How to Watch the NBA All-Star Game Online Without Cable
- How to Watch the NBA Draft Online Free Without Cable.
How to Watch Specific Teams Without Cable
If you’re looking for a specific team on live TV, you’ll need to know what channel to find. All the US-based teams are associated with a regional sports network (RSN). This is a local TV channel that broadcasts most or all of a given team’s games in that team’s market.
You must be in the team’s broadcast area to get the RSN. So for fans of the local NBA team, getting access to the team’s RSN is critical. If you are outside the team’s broadcast area, you can watch most of the games via NBA League Pass.
The following table provides links to our viewing guides for each team and articles about all of the RSNs. It also tells you if the RSN is available through DIRECTV STREAM, FuboTV, or Hulu + Live TV.
DIRECTV STREAM (formerly AT&T TV) has by far the best selection. It is also the most expensive. You need to sign up with the Choice plan for $89.99/mo. If FuboTV or Hulu + Live TV provide access for your local team, you are probably better going with them because they are included in their base plans, which cost only $69.99/mo.
If you also want NBA League Pass, you need to stick with DIRECTV STREAM or FuboTV since Hulu + Live TV does not offer it.
NCAA Basketball Online Without Cable
College basketball is broadcast in a lot of different ways. But they can be categorized in three ways:
- National Channels: CBS Sports Network, Fox Sports (FS1, FS2), ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU
- Conference Channels: ACC Network (ACCN), Big Ten Network (BTN, B1G), Longhorn Network (LHN), Pac-12 Network, and SEC Network (SECN)
- ESPN+: More and more live sports are broadcast through this service.
March Madness is a different matter. All of these games are shown on CBS and the Turner channels TBS, TNT, and truTV.
Here are the guides on how you can catch college basketball and march madness without cable online:
- How to Watch College Basketball Online and OTA Without Cable
- How to Watch March Madness Online Without Cable (2021)
How to Watch Specific Teams Without Cable
For a particular college basketball game stream, see these team guides:
Unblock Your Favorite Events & Teams With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite events or teams because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
Top Basketball Streaming Services
If you want the basics, most general streaming services will provide you with a lot of basketball to watch. Even a basic $35/mo Sling Blue or Sling Orange will provide enough action for a lot of fans. And you can get a lot more by adding the Sling Extra add-on for $11/mo.
Streaming Services for NBA
There are roughly two kinds of NBA fans: those who root for the home team and those who root for one or more distant teams. (There are also fans who do both!)
Local fans really need a streaming service that provides access to their team’s RSN. That means you need to sign-up with one of the following:
- DIRECTV STREAM (RSNs for 28 teams)
- Fubo TV (RSNs for 10 teams)
- Hulu + Live TV (RSNs for 6 teams)
- YouTube TV (RSNs for 6 teams).
As we’ve noted, DIRECTV STREAM has the largest selection. But remember: you only get the RSNs that are available in your region.
The fact that Bally Sports Kansas City is available from DIRECTV STREAM doesn’t matter if you live in San Francisco. Fans there will only get NBC Sports California and NBC Sports Bay Area because those are the RSNs that cover that area.
Distant or General Fans
If you don’t care about watching the games of your local team but you still want to follow the NBA season carefully, you should sign-up for NBA League Pass. It allows you to watch pretty much every regular-season game live. The catch? You can only watch out-of-market games (that is, games that don’t involve your local team).
You can get NBA League Pass on its own. But it’s convenient to have it integrated with a live TV streaming service. That’s especially true if you are using NBA League Pass and your local RSN(s) to watch the season.
The price of NBA League Pass is $28.99/mo whether you get the standalone version or get it integrated with a live TV streaming service. You can also get it for $17.99/mo if you are only interested in games from a single team.
Note that you can stream in-market games after they are over with NBA League Pass. But you must wait until they are made available on-demand. Sadly, this currently takes 3 days. (Hopefully, this will one day change. MLB.TV makes in-market games available just 90 minutes after they finish.
How can I watch college basketball live?
There are several streaming services that show live college basketball games, including Hulu and AT&T. If you want to watch the majority of college basketball games, the Hulu + Live TV plan and the Sling Orange plan with the Sports Extra add-on are also decent options with a variety of channels. Hulu also offers an ESPN+ add-on.
Does Hulu have NBA TV?
Hulu’s live TV plan does not offer NBA TV for subscribers and it is not currently available as an add-on. If you’re a Hulu subscriber, you’re limited to basketball games on regional sports networks and channels like ABC, CBS Sports Network, ESPN, and TNT. Note however that NBA TV features relatively few games. It is more a destination for analysis.
What streaming devices can I watch basketball on?
All the streaming services support most devices and TVs currently in use. All of them support Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, and Android and iOS mobile devices. Also widely supported are Samsung, LG, and Vizio smart TVs. Android TV-based devices are also widely supported. The gaming system Xbox One is supported by almost all services. PlayStation is supported although slightly less.
How do I watch sports channels without cable?
We have guides that show you how to watch the most popular sports channels without cable:
- ACC Network
- Altitude Sports
- AT&T SN Pitts
- AT&T SN RM
- AT&T SN SW
- Bally Arizona
- Bally Detroit
- Bally Florida
- Bally Great Lakes
- Bally Indiana
- Bally Kansas City
- Bally Midwest
- Bally New Orleans
- Bally North
- Bally Ohio
- Bally Oklahoma
- Bally San Diego
- Bally SoCal
- Bally South
- Bally Southeast
- Bally Southwest
- Bally Sun
- Bally West
- Bally Wisconsin
- beIN Sports
- Big Ten
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
- Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11] - 11/15/2022
- Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10] - 11/13/2022
- 🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10] - 11/12/2022