The 2022 WNBA playoff finals are over with the Las Vegas Aces besting the Connecticut Sun 3-1! Get ready for next Spring when the 2023 season starts. We’ll have all the details here!
In a hurry? Many regular-season and all post-season games air on ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. All these services provide them and much more:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 130+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save a bundle with Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
If you can’t watch your favorite sports because of your location, get ExpressVPN to access the content you deserve.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
The WNBA is the world’s premier women’s basketball league and is where top college stars and international players head in order to continue their craft. This competition has also been steadily gaining interest and prestige amongst that growing fan base ever since its inaugural season in 1997.
How can you watch the WNBA? For out-of-market fans, WNBA League Pass ($24.99/yr) is a purchase for you to consider. Otherwise, ensure that you have streaming access to ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, CBS, CBS Sports Network, Facebook Watch, Twitter, and Prime Video.
What Is the WNBA?
The WNBA had initially been created in 1996, a couple of months prior to the US national team claiming the gold medal at the Atlanta Olympics. The league began play a year later as a competing league with the American Basketball League. This ABL-WNBA competition resulted in the WNBA being the sole entity remaining after the ABL folded in 1998.
The WNBA was receiving and still continues to receive support from the NBA.
Some of its best players over the years have included Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Tamika Catchings, Tina Thompson, Tina Charles, Seimone Augustus, and Lisa Leslie.
Three teams have won four WNBA titles, the Seattle Storm, Minnesota Lynx, and the now-defunct Houston Comets. The sides that have lifted the trophy on three occasions include the Phoenix Mercury, Los Angeles Sparks, and Detroit Shock. The latter is a franchise that has since moved to Texas and is now known as the Dallas Wings. No other WNBA franchise has more than one title to its credit.
The league consists of 12 teams. Franchises not mentioned above, ones that have one or zero titles to their credit, include the Atlanta Dream, Chicago Sky, Connecticut Sun, Indiana Fever, Las Vegas Aces, New York Liberty, and Washington Mystics.
Regular Season and Postseason Structures
Each of the WNBA’s clubs plays 36 games a season. Although the teams are divided into six-team Eastern and Western Conferences, that is mostly related to slight scheduling differences as the postseason teams are determined and seeded by their placements in the overall WNBA standings.
Prior to the league’s 2022 season, the WNBA had been using a 1-1-5-5 playoff format, resulting in single-game playoff rounds the first two rounds and then more regular five-game series the final two. Also, the top two seeds enjoyed double-byes into the semifinals under that format.
However, extensive changes were implemented in 2022. Although eight teams are still qualifying for postseason play, they will all enter in the same round, so there are now three rounds instead of four.
And the first round will be comprised of three-game series, albeit with a slightly different format than is usually the case for three-game series. The higher seed will host the first two matchups. If there is a third contest, the lower seed will host it. In other words, a sweep will result in the lower seed not hosting a single playoff game.
The Commissioner’s Cup, which was first held during the 2021 season, involves 10 regular-season games per team that double as Commissioner’s Cup contests. Those 10 games consist of the first home and away matchups versus the other five teams in that franchise’s conference. The best sides in the Eastern and Western Conferences after those contests have been played meet in a single game at a neutral site.
The Seattle Storm defeated the Connecticut Sun, 79-57, in the 2021 Commissioner’s Cup’s championship game, which was played in Phoenix.
WNBA All-Star Game
As is usual in US-based professional sports leagues, an All-Star Game is scheduled for the middle of the WNBA season. However, its format has changed over the years.
There is a normal matchup of all-stars from the Eastern and Western Conferences occurring in many editions. But there are also formats that include captains choosing their own teams and a single squad of WNBA all-stars taking on the US national team.
Since the WNBA is played under a summer schedule, the WNBA Draft takes place very soon after the NCAA Women’s Final Four has occurred. This is a few weeks before the league’s campaign starts.
A draft lottery is held to determine the first four selections, comprising the non-playoff teams from the previous campaign.
2022 WNBA Results
The Connecticut Sun and the Las Vegas Aces made it to the finals, which the Aces won in four games.
The top 8 teams made it to the playoffs. They competed in 4 best-of-three tournaments. The remaining 4 teams competed in 2 best-of-five tournaments. And the final featured a best-of-five tournament.
As with the NBA (and NHL and MLB and…), we only knew the schedule one round at a time since there are variable numbers of games. Here are the results of each game.
- Wed Aug 17 : New York Liberty (98) at Chicago Sky (91) (ESPN2)
- Wed Aug 17 : Phoenix Mercury (63) at Las Vegas Aces (79) (ESPN)
- Thu Aug 18 : Dallas Wings (68) at Connecticut Sun (93) (ESPNU/NBA TV)
- Thu Aug 18 : Washington Mystics (83) at Seattle Storm (86) (ESPN2)
- Sat Aug 20 : New York Liberty (62) at Chicago Sky (100) (ESPN)
- Sat Aug 20 : Phoenix Mercury (80) at Las Vegas Aces (117) (ESPN2)
- Sun Aug 21 : Dallas Wings (89) at Connecticut Sun (79) (ABC)
- Sun Aug 21 : Washington Mystics (84) at Seattle Storm (97) (ESPN)
Game 3 (if necessary)
Tue Aug 23 : Las Vegas Aces at Phoenix Mercury (ESPN2)
- Tue Aug 23 : Chicago Sky (90) at New York Liberty (72) (ESPN2)
- Wed Aug 24 : Connecticut Sun (73) at Dallas Wings (58) (ESPN2)
Wed Aug 24 : Seattle Storm at Washington Mystics (ESPN2)
- Sun Aug 28 : Seattle Storm (76) at Las Vegas Aces (73) (ESPN)
- Sun Aug 28 : Connecticut Sun (68) at Chicago Sky (63) (ESPN2)
- Wed Aug 31 : Connecticut Sun (77) at Chicago Sky (85) (ESPN2)
- Wed Aug 31 : Seattle Storm (73) at Las Vegas Aces (78) (ESPN2)
- Sun Sep 4 : Chicago Sky (76) at Connecticut Sun (72) (ESPN2)
- Sun Sep 4 : Las Vegas Aces (110) at Seattle Storm (98) (ABC)
- Tue Sep 6 : Las Vegas Aces (97) at Seattle Storm (92) (ESPN2)
- Tue Sep 6 : Chicago Sky (80) at Connecticut Sun (104) (ESPN2)
Game 5 (if necessary)
- Thu Sep 8 : Connecticut Sun (72) at Chicago Sky (63) (ESPN2)
Thu Sep 8 : Seattle Storm at Las Vegas Aces (ESPN2)
- Sun Sep 11 : Connecticut Sun (64) at Las Vegas Aces (67) (ABC)
- Tue Sep 13 : Connecticut Sun (71) at Las Vegas Aces (85) (ESPN)
- Thu Sep 15 : Las Vegas Aces (76) at Connecticut Sun (105) (ESPN)
- Sun Sep 18 : Las Vegas Aces (78) at Connecticut Sun (71) (ESPN)
Tue Sep 20 : Connecticut Sun at Las Vegas Aces (ESPN)
Unblock Your Favorite Events & Teams With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite events or teams because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
Where to Watch WNBA Games
WNBA games are broadcast and streamed through a variety of outlets.
Live TV Channels
The most significant channels broadcasting WNBA contests are ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. That is because those three networks not only team up to show around 25 regular-season games each season but also the entire postseason, which adds on as many as 27 more contests to that selection.
Several other entities also broadcast regular-season games. These include CBS and CBSSN. The number of games on those two outlets reach around 40 with the vast majority of those on CBSSN. For the 2022 season, three contests were slated for CBS coverage.
NBA TV carries dozens of WNBA games every season as well.
The top live TV streaming services offer all the channels you need to follow the season:
- FuboTV: This sports-heavy streaming service includes 110+ channels including everything from ABC Sports, CBS Sports, and ESPN. For $74.99/mo, you also get 1,000 hours of cloud DVR and streaming on up to 10 devices at once. (FuboTV review)
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get all the base channels in its base plan with roughly 80 channels for $74.99/mo. This comes with unlimited cloud DVR storage as long as you sign-up online and streaming on unlimited devices. You may want to upgrade to the Choice plan for $99.99/mo to get access to its unmatched collection of RSNs. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
- Hulu + Live TV: Get a great 85+ channel lineup in addition to ESPN+ and Disney+ for $69.99/mo. It comes with an unlimited cloud DVR (9 month storage) but streaming on just two devices. (Hulu + Live TV review)
- YouTube TV: Similar plan to Hulu’s with more channels but without ESPN+ and Disney+ for $64.99/mo.
A couple of free online options include Facebook Watch and Twitter, the former showing around 20 contests a season and the latter featuring a couple of dozen.
Prime Video is the only place to watch around 15 games a season, including the Commissioner’s Cup’s championship game. In fact, about 10 of its broadcasts are connected with that competition.
WNBA League Pass ($24.99/yr) is what you want to get in order to watch all out-of-market broadcasts.
Of course, as with nearly all types of league passes, you need to be wary of blackout restrictions before you make a purchase. All nationally televised games are blacked out, which includes all playoff games.
However, it appears that blackout restrictions related to local broadcasts are limited. Also, you can watch all blacked-out games after they occur, usually with only a limited amount of time passing.
Its features include the ability to watch multiple games simultaneously and statistical overlays. If you are considering getting WNBA League Pass, note that it offers a seven-day free trial.
Also make sure to keep in mind that it auto-renews every season unless you ensure that the autorenewal box is not checked while signing up or change that setting later, before the next year’s purchase has occurred.
Devices for Streaming WNBA Games
All the live TV streaming services and WNBA League Pass support the following devices:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android mobile
- Apple TV
- iOS (iPhone, iPad)
- Web browsers.
The live TV services support a number of other devices including Roku devices and Samsung smart TVs. Fubo, Hulu, and YouTube also support Android TV, LG, and VIZIO smart TVs and Xbox units. Hulu and YouTube support PlayStation consoles.
Are you looking to watch the WNBA, whether that involves catching a game here and there or you are a devoted fan looking to watch every contest played by your favorite team? If yes, we recommend FuboTV, which provides access to CBS, CBSSN, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, and more.
Serious fans will probably also want to sign-up for WNBA League Pass.
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11]- 11/15/2022
Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/13/2022
🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/12/2022