The 2022 PGA Championship rans from May 19th through May 22nd. The event ended in a time with Justin Thomas finally beating Will Zalatoris in a 3-hole playoff.
The next edition will run May 18th through May 21st, 2023. Being one of the most popular golfing events of the year, it is fairly easy for cord-cutters to watch. Read on to get all the details.
In a hurry? ESPN and CBS will be airing the 2022 PGA Championship. As always, The Golf Channel will be providing commentary and news. Although you can watch of this tournament with an antenna, to watch it all, you need a streaming service:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 130+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save a bundle with Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
If you can’t watch your favorite sports because of your location, get ExpressVPN to access the content you deserve.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
- 1 About the PGA Championship
- 2 2022 PGA Championship
- 3 Watching the PGA Championship
- 4 Watch the PGA Championship Without Cable
- 5 Streaming Devices to Watch The Masters
- 6 Summing Up
The PGA Championship is one of the four major tournaments contested by golfers from throughout the world. It is generally referred to as the US PGA Championship (USPGA) by those who primarily compete outside of the United States.
It is considered to be an official money event for participants who are members of the European Tour and the Japan Golf Tour.
About the PGA Championship
The PGA Championship was first contested in 1916 at Siwanoy Country Club in Bronxville, NY. It was won by Jim Barnes of England by one hole over Jock Hutchison of Scotland.
At this first event, there were 32 participants in the PGA Championship. By 1957, the event had grown to 128 players. At the 2021 event, 156 players entered.
Match vs Stroke Play
From 1916 to 1957, the tournament used a match play format. This saw pairs of players competing against each other for the right to proceed to the next round. Since then, it has been the near-universal stroke play.
A stroke play format was used for the first two days of the event in 1922 and from 1935 until 1941. In 1956 and 1957, stroke play was used for the first four rounds.
Stroke play simply means that each player is essentially competing to see who can complete 18 holes in the fewest number of shots. A player’s score is generally posted relative to par.
For example, if a course is a par 72, it means that a person is expected to finish 18 holes in 72 shots. If a player shoots a 73, that individual would be one over par or +1. If a player shoots a 71, that person would be one under par or -1.
In the match-play era, sectional qualifying events were often used to determine who gained entry to the field. Today, the majority of the field qualifies based on their place on the money list. Individuals can also qualify by winning a previous PGA Championship or any other major within the past five years of the current year’s event. Or they can do so by finishing among the top 15 at the previous PGA Championship.
The PGA of America also reserves the right to invite anyone who they think would add star power to the tournament. As a general rule, any of the top 100 players in the world who don’t qualify for the tournament receive an invite to participate.
Date and Location
Prior to 2019, this event was traditionally held in August and was the last major tournament of the year. However, it is now held in May and is the second major tournament of the year. One key reason why the move was made was to provide more flexibility in terms of where the event could be held.
Traditionally, the PGA Championship was held in New York, Pennsylvania, or Ohio because it was too hot to do so elsewhere in the country. In addition, the PGA no longer has to worry about one of its marquee events having to compete with the NFL, which often dominates the sports world from August until February.
Unblock Your Favorite Events & Teams With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite events or teams because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
2022 PGA Championship
The 2022 PGA Championship is scheduled to begin on Thur May 19 and finish on Sun May 22. It will take place at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, OK.
In 2021, Phil Mickelson became the oldest player to win a major championship at the age of 50. He won this event with a final score of six strokes under par.
- Day 1: Thu May 19 – (ESPN)
- Day 2: Fri May 20 – (ESPN)
- Day 3: Sat May 21 – (ESPN)
- Day 3: Sat May 21 – (CBS)
- Day 4: Sun May 22 – (ESPN)
- Day 4: Sun May 22 – (CBS).
Watching the PGA Championship
The 2022 PGA Championship will air on ESPN and CBS this year. Typically, ESPN broadcasts live coverage of the first two rounds of the tournament while CBS broadcasts live coverage of the final two rounds.
ESPN+ will also feature four live feeds of the event and 34 others throughout the year. It will air over 4,000 hours of new PGA Tour content each year during the course of the rights agreement it has with the PGA. That rights agreement is set to last for at least nine years.
If you’re watching the tournament in Canada, you will need access to TSN. The PGA Championship will air on Sky Sports (NOW) in the United Kingdom. It will likely air on Nine Network in Australia.
Watch the PGA Championship Without Cable
The final rounds of PGA Championship should appear on CBS. So you can watch free with an antenna. Our HD antenna guide has all the details on doing this. You can combine an antenna with Sling TV. They even have a special deal to do so if you sign-up for three months of service.
If you want full coverage of the event or just don’t want to mess with an antenna, these streaming services will have you watching in minutes:
- FuboTV: With 100+ live TV channels this is an especially good service for sports fans for $69.99/mo. It comes with 1000 hours of cloud DVR and simultaneous streaming on ten devices. See our FuboTV review for more information.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get about 80 channels for $69.99/mo with many options for more. It comes with an unlimited DVR as long as you sign-up online and streaming on up to 20 devices. For more information, see our DIRECTV STREAM review.
- Hulu + Live TV: A great entertainment service with 85+ live channels. It also includes ESPN+, so you can watch all the secondary coverage. All together for $69.99/mo. It includes unlimited cloud DVR (9 month storage) and two-device simultaneous streaming. Get the details in our Hulu + Live TV review.
- YouTube TV: Similar to Hulu + Live TV but without ESPN+ with some extra channels.
Superpower Your Streaming With a VPN
For the sake of privacy, security, and access, you should be using a VPN. They are low-cost and easy to use. We’ve been using them for years and our top pick is ExpressVPN. Be sure to check out our Cyber Monday 2022 deals on ExpressVPN, NordVPN, SurfShark and PureVPN.
|i||Our VPN Buyer’s Guide provides a complete introduction and all you need to know to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
Streaming Devices to Watch The Masters
These streaming services provide support for most of the streaming devices in use today: Amazon Fire TV, Android mobile, Apple TV, Chromecast, iOS, Roku, Samsung smart TVs, and web browsers.
LG, VIZIO, and Android TV-compatible smart TVs and XBox One gaming systems are supported by Fubo and Hulu. The PlayStation and Nintendo Switch are also supported by Hulu.
See our individual streaming service reviews for complete details.
The PGA Championship is one of the most prestigious events on the professional golf schedule each year. It typically draws competitors from all over the world who are seeking to make a name for themselves. As a result, it has been won by competitors from South Korea, Germany, and Australia.
Scheduled to take place May 19th through May 22nd, you can watch primary coverage of all four rounds on ESPN and CBS through your favorite streaming services. Extra coverage will be on ESPN+. We recommend getting Hulu Live for the PGA Championship.
How to Watch Other Golf Events Without Cable
See these guides for how to watch golf without cable:
We also have a guide for the Golf Channel.
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11]- 11/15/2022
Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/13/2022
🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/12/2022