Marcus Ericsson won the 108th version of “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.” The next event will be May 26, 2024. Fans won’t want to miss a minute of the fun. You don’t need cable to watch the Indy 500 live stream. Learn all you need to know below.
In a hurry? The Indy 500 will be on NBC so you could likely set up an antenna and watch it for free. If not, these streaming services will allow you to watch it and much more:
- Fubo: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 150+ well-selected channels. Fubo allows you to try out its service with a free trial.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save 50% on your first month of Sling TV.
If you can’t watch your favorite sports because of your location, get ExpressVPN to access the content you deserve.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
| ||Sign Up Now|
| ||Sign Up Now|
| ||Sign Up Now|
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
Even if you aren’t a diehard racing fan, there is a good chance that you are a fan of the Indianapolis 500 or as it is more commonly known Indy 500. It is one of the most popular motorsports events in the world, and it rivals the Daytona 500 in terms of overall viewership in the United States.
Let’s take a closer look at what you need to know about this event and what makes it so popular among racing fans.
Channels for the Indy 500 and Other IndyCar Races
IndyCar races appear exclusively on NBCUniversal channels. In the past, they have been broadcast on NBC, NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), and USA Network. However, as NBCSN won’t exist starting in 2022, future races will only appear on NBC and USA.
If you have Peacock’s premium service tier, you can use it to stream races. You can also stream on any live TV streaming service that offers NBC channels.
How to Watch the Indy 500 Without Cable
Cord-cutters have lots of options for watching the Indy 500.
Live TV Streaming Services
Most of the major live streaming services provide NBC to their customers. The main exceptions are Philo and Vidgo. All of these will work in most locations:
- FuboTV ($74.99/mo): Provides over 130 channels including 35+ that are sports oriented. Comes with 1000 hours of cloud DVR storage and the ability to stream on up to ten devices. Our FuboTV review has all the details.
- DIRECTV STREAM ($79.99/mo): Offers roughly 80 channels with many upgrade options. Comes with unlimited cloud DVR (only if you sign up online) and the ability to stream on up to 20 devices at once. Check out our DIRECTV STREAM review.
- Sling TV ($40.00/mo): The Sling Blue plan comes with 40+ channels including NBC in a lot of areas. You also get 50 hours of cloud DVR storage and streaming on three simultaneous screens. See our Sling TV review for more information, as well as our guide to watching the Indy 500, Monaco GP, and 24 Hours of Le Mans on Sling.
- Hulu + Live TV ($76.99/mo): Comes with an outstanding on-demand library as well as 85+ live TV channels, ESPN+, and Disney+. Also includes unlimited cloud DVR with 9 months of storage and streaming on up to two screens at once. See our Hulu + Live TV review.
- YouTube TV ($72.99/mo): Get over 100+ channels including NBC and a good overall selection.
If you live close enough to an NBC broadcasting tower, you will be able to watch the Indy 500 in high definition. See our guide on using an indoor HD antenna. It’ easy to do and costs little money. And once it is set up, it’s free!
Other Ways to Stream the Indy 500
- Peacock TV: NBC’s streaming service will allow you to watch the Indy 500 if you get a subscription for $4.99/mo. It’s a great addition to other plans that don’t include the network.
- NBC Sports App: You can watch the Indy 500 using this app but you will need credentials from a TV provider that allows you to watch NBC like FuboTV or Hulu + Live TV. You can do the same with NBCSports.com.
Superpower Your Sports Streaming With a VPN
For the sake of privacy, security, and access, you should be using a VPN. They are low-cost and easy to use. We’ve been using them for years and our top pick is ExpressVPN. Other brands worth checking out include Hotspot Shield and CyberGhost.
i Our VPN Buyer’s Guide provides a complete introduction and all you need to know to choose the best VPN for your needs.
TVs and Mobile Devices for NBC
Most of the smart TVs and other streaming devices are supported by the services we’ve highlighted.
They all support Samsung smart TVs. And other than DIRECTV STREAM, they all support LG, Vizio, and Android-TV-based smart TVs.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Roku devices are supported by all of the streaming services. And so are mobile devices running Android and iOS. Finally, Chromecast can be used.
The Xbox One gaming system is supported by everyone except for DIRECTV STREAM. Sling supports the Oculus. And Hulu supports the PlayStation.
Other devices are supported. Check our reviews for complete lists.
What Is the Indy 500?
The Indy 500 is one of the most important races on the IndyCar circuit each year, and since 1974, it has taken place the day before Memorial Day. So this year, the race will be Sunday, May 29, 2022.
The event is held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which is often referred to as the Brickyard because the racing surface used to be covered in brick. Today, only the starting and finish lines are covered in brick with the rest of the track being coated in asphalt.
As the name suggests, the event lasts for 500 miles, which is about 200 laps around the track. There are traditionally 33 drivers in the starting field, and of those drivers, roughly a dozen are part-time competitors who only compete at the Indy 500.
The Indy 500 takes place the same day as the Coca-Cola 600 and the Monaco Grand Prix. Because the Indy 500 and Coca-Cola 600 aren’t too far away from each other, some drivers have driven both races.
- John Andretti was the first to try it in 1994. He finished 10th at Indy but failed to finish in Charlotte.
- Robby Gordon has done The Double five times in 1997, 2000, 2002, 2003, and 2004. In 2002, he came just one lap from completing both races.
- Tony Stewart is the only person to have completed both races coming in 6th at Indy and 3rd at Charlotte in 2001.
- Kurt Busch is the last driver to attempt The Double in 2014. He came in 6th at Indy but failed to finish the Coca-Cola 600.
Qualifying takes place over two days the weekend before the race. The process is convoluted.
On Saturday, all the competitors get at least one shot at qualifying over four laps. At the end of the day, all the drivers in sports 10 through 30 are set. All the other drivers compete in one of two “shootouts” on Sunday.
The top nine drivers are given one qualifying round and their positions are determined based on these runs alone. The top finisher gets pole position.
Similarly, all the drivers placing 31 and below on Saturday compete with only the top 3 finishers making it into the Indy 500 the following Sunday.
2023 Indy 500 Results
Marcus Ericsson won the Indy 500 last year. Here are the rest of the 2022 results:
- Josef Newgarden
- Marcus Ericsson
- Santino Ferrucci
- Álex Palou
- Alexander Rossi
- Scott Dixon
- Takuma Sato
- Conor Daly
- Colton Herta
- Rinus VeeKay
- Ryan Hunter-Reay
- Callum Ilott
- Devlin DeFrancesco
- Scott McLaughlin
- Hélio Castroneves
- Tony Kanaan
- Marco Andretti
- Jack Harvey†
- Christian Lundgaard†
- Ed Carpenter†
- Benjamin Pedersen†
- Graham Rahal†
- Will Power†
- Pato O’Ward†
- Simon Pagenaud†
- Agustín Canapino†
- Felix Rosenqvist†
- Kyle Kirkwood†
- David Malukas†
- Romain Grosjean†
- Sting Ray Robb†
- R. C. Enerson†
- Katherine Legge†
† Did not finish.
Unblock Your Favorite Events & Teams With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite events or teams because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequaled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
2024 Indy 500
The 2024 Indy 500 takes play Sunday, May 26th at on NBC. However, pre-race coverage will start at .
Timed trials take place the weekend before, May 18th and 19th. We will have the starting grid when they are known. Note that the race starts with rows of 3 cars. We’ve highlighted the inside car in each row.
And here are the final results: Coming soon!
The Indy 500 is one of the oldest and most famous racing events in the world. If you can’t schedule a trip to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway next May, you can still see all the action on NBC.
Why is the Indy 500 an important race?
Unlike the Daytona 500, the Indy 500 doesn’t hold any special significance within the IndyCar Series or within the American Cup Series that the IndyCar Series is a part of. Instead, it is simply another race on the schedule like the Firestone Grand Prix in Florida or the Indy Grand Prix of Alabama.
However, it is a special event because it is considered to be part of the Triple Crown of Motorsport. The other two races in this series are the Monaco Grand Prix and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Therefore, competitors throughout the world make it a point to enter this race whenever they can as a victory can catapult them to the top of the sport in the eyes of fans.
The traditions associated with this race also give it a greater sense of importance. For instance, the winner will traditionally drink a glass of milk, and this is only partially because Indiana has been a major dairy-producing state throughout its history.
Where can I listen to the Indy 500?
You can listen to this event on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network. Additionally, a number of local radio stations will cover the race live, and you can get access to these broadcasts through their websites. Coverage typically begins at 11 am on the day of the race.
How can I watch other auto racing events without cable?
We’ve created guides for a number of events and series:
- 24 Hours of Le Mans
- ARCA Menards Series
- Formula 1
- Indy 500
- NASCAR Cup Series
- NASCAR Mexico Series
- NASCAR Pinty’s Series
- NASCAR Truck Series
- NASCAR Whelen Euro Series
- NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour
- NASCAR Xfinity Series.
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
Page Updates ▼▲
Added a few links.
Updated some sub-sections. Updated some section headings. Image changes.
More links. Various changes.
Added buttons for streaming services. Pricing updates. Linking. Various content updates.
Added list of steps. Image changes. Reworded some things.
Added new section. Pricing updates. Added links. Formatting changes.
Added links to streaming services. Added sub-section. Additional links. Mentioned offers. Misc changes.
Reworked one section. Changed some content in main section.
States That Have Produced the Best Actors and Actresses- 09/06/2022
Exclusive Sports on Hulu + Live TV- 07/24/2022
Just How Good Is Hulu + Live TV’s Local TV Coverage?- 07/03/2022