The 2022-23 UEFA Quarter-Final is upon us. Watch it on Paramount+!
November 20, 2022 marks the first match of the FIFA World Cup Qatar. Fans of Spain or Costa Rica will only have to wait three days to see them battle on the pitch of Al Thumama Stadium on Wed Nov 23 on FOX.
In a hurry? The World Cup is everywhere! The following services will let you watch this match and all the rest:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 130+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save a bundle with Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
If you can’t watch your favorite sports because of your location, get ExpressVPN to access the content you deserve.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
World Cup Group E Match Schedule
La Furia Roja and Los Ticos are in Group E along with Germany and Japan. This will be a tough group to prevail in, with two being previous winners and the other two being strong, gritty teams.
Spain’s team won FIFA 2010 and Germany’s team won FIFA 2014. See below to make sure you catch every E Group Stage match (all EST):
- November 23 : Germany vs Japan (FS1, Telemundo)
- November 23 : Spain vs Costa Rica (FOX, Telemundo)
- November 27 : Costa Rica vs Japan (FS1, Telemundo)
- November 27 : Spain vs Germany (FS1, Telemundo)
- December 1 : Spain vs Japan (FOX, Universo)
- December 1 : Costa Rica vs Germany (FS1, Telemundo)
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Where to Watch Qatar 2022
For those in the United States, every match will be broadcasted live on the following television channels:
- English: Fox, Fox Sports 1 (FS1)
- Spanish: Telemundo, Universo
You can also stream FIFA on the go with streaming services. Be sure to check the schedule to see if your streaming service will broadcast the channel that is airing the match.
FuboTV and YouTube TV offer Fox, FS1, Telemundo, and Universo in their basic plan. Hulu + Live TV and DIRECTV STREAM offer Fox, FS1, and Telemundo in their basic plan with Universo available as an upgrade.
You can access Fox and FS1 through lower-cost streaming services Sling TV (Blue plan) and Vidgo. For Spanish-only live streaming, Peacock Premium offers great coverage.
The top two teams from each Group will advance from the Group Stage into the Knockout rounds. These will be broadcast according to this schedule:
- Saturday, December 3 – Tuesday, December 6: Round of 16
- Friday, December 9 – Saturday, December 10: Quarter-Finals
- Tuesday, December 13 – Wednesday, December 14: Semi-Finals
- Saturday, December 17: Third-Place Play-Off
- Sunday, December 18: FIFA Final
How to Watch Costa Rica vs Spain in Every Country
- United States: Telemundo (TV, Streaming), Peacock (Streaming, App), Uforia (App), Fox Sports (TV, Streaming, App), SiriusXM FC (TV, Streaming, App), Telemundo Deportes (Streaming, App)
- Canada: Réseau des sports (TV, Streaming, App), TSN3 (Streaming, App), TSN4 (Streaming, App), TSN1 (Streaming, App)
- United Kingdom: ITV Hub (Streaming), talkSPORT Radio (Radio), BBC Radio 5 Live (Radio), STV (TV, Streaming, App)
- Germany: ServusTV (TV, Streaming, App), Das Erste (TV, Streaming, App)
- France: Free (TV, Streaming, App), beIN SPORTS (TV, App), beIN Sports 1 (TV)
- Colombia: To be confirmed - contact us if you know
- Indonesia: SCTV (TV, Streaming), Vidio (TV, Streaming, App)
- Spain: Gol Mundial (TV), fuboTV España (Streaming, App), TVE La Primera (TV), RTVE.es (Streaming, App)
- India: Voot Select (Streaming, App), JioTV (TV, Streaming, App), Sports18 (TV)
Spain vs Costa Rica: The Teams
The first match between Spain and Costa Rica will take place three days into the Group Stage. Although history favors Spain in this matchup, Costa Rica has pulled off upsets against former FIFA winners before. Let’s take a look at each team before their face-off in Doha.
Spain’s World Cup Squad
- Nickname: La Furia Roja, la Seleccion
- Coach: Luis Enrique
- Captain: Sergio Busquets
- Top Scorer: Álvaro Morata (27)
- Most Caps: Sergio Busquets (146) (Barcelona)
Spain was flying high when it won FIFA 2010. With their signature “tiki taka” style of playing, the team is strong when it comes to possession and domination of the ball.
They have struggled a bit since then. As defending champions at FIFA 2014, they were eliminated in the Group Stage, and in 2018, they were eliminated in the Round of 16.
However, recent showings indicate that La Furia Roja is returning to form. They reached the semifinals of Euro 2020 and the finals of the UEFA Nations League. If Spain can maintain their dominant play while following through with scoring, they will be a difficult team to beat.
It is a solid mix of stalwart veterans and youthful talent that has already established itself on the international pitch. Although the players hail from many European clubs, Spanish clubs — FC Barcelona in particular — are strongly represented in this squad.
- Pedri (Midfielder, Barcelona), despite being one of the team’s young talents, has already played as part of the Euro 2020 team that reached the semifinals and Spain’s silver medal-winning 2020 Tokyo Olympics team.
- Sergio Busquests (Midfielder, Barcelona) and Jordi Alba (Defender, Barcelona) are both veterans of Spain’s FIFA 2010 win. Expect them to be part of a strong backbone for the team, in what is speculated to be their last FIFA appearance.
- Alvaro Morata (Forward, Atlético Madrid) is a technical striker who shows great promise but has at times struggled with reliability and scoring. If he can put up a strong showing here, he can give Spain’s team a massive boost.
Other Notable Players:
- Ferran Torres (Forward, Barcelona)
- Gavi (Midfielder, Barcelona)
- Rodri (Midfielder, Manchester City)
- Dani Carvajal (Defender, Real Madrid)
- Ansu Fati (Forward, Barcelona)
Costa Rica’s World Cup Squad
- Nickname: Los Ticos, la Tricolor, la Roja, la Sele
- Coach: Luis Fernando Suárez
- Captain: Bryan Ruiz
- Top Scorer: Bryan Ruiz (29)
- Most Caps: Celso Borges (154) (Alajuelense)
This is Costa Rica’s third straight appearance at FIFA. After a rocky start in qualifying, the team won six games in a row, beating out Team USA and winning a playoff against New Zealand to clinch its spot to Qatar.
With a set of tough defenders and a renowned goalkeeper, it may be difficult to score against the Costa Rican team. Los Ticos are no strangers to upsets. At FIFA 2014, they reached the Quarter-Finals, advancing out of a Group Stage that contained three previous FIFA-winning teams and earning the hearts of many FIFA spectators.
Although the team was eliminated in the Group Stage in 2018, there is still the possibility to pull off another upset this year. The question in the air is whether the team can follow through on its strong potential when nearly half of its squad members have fewer than 10 caps.
Most players hail from Costa Rican leagues, such as Liga FPD’s top two clubs Alajuelense and Herediano. However, some have played seasons in Spanish and other European clubs.
- Keylor Navas (Goalkeeper, PSG) is an acclaimed goalkeeper who has won three best goalkeeper awards and was named Player of the Year twice at CONCACAF. He has also had plenty of experience in Europe and was a starter for Real Madrid. He was a key contributor to Costa Rica’s fabulous run at FIFA 2014, where he had three clean sheets out of five matches. Notably, he kept a clean sheet during the Round of 16, which enabled the team to prevail against Greece to advance to the quarter-finals.
- Celso Borges (Midfielder, Alajuelense) is one of the most capped players in the tournament and has previously played at the Spanish club Deportivo La Coruña.
Other Notable Players:
- Bryan Ruiz (Midfielder, Alajuelense)
- Jewison Bennette (Midfielder, Sunderland)
- Kendall Waston (Defender, Saprissa)
- Keysher Fuller (Defender, Herediano)
- Oscar Duarte (Defender, Al-Wehda)
- Bryan Oviedo (Defender, Real Salt Lake)
- Joel Campbell (Forward, Club Leon)
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Prior Matches Between Costa Rica and Spain
Spain and Costa Rica have previously gone head-to-head three times in International Friendlies. In 2011, the teams tied at 2-2. Spain went on to win their next two encounters with a score of 2-1 in 2015 and 5-0 in 2017.
What’s the Venue For Costa Rica vs Spain’s World Cup Match?
The match between Spain and Costa Rica will be the first of Group E’s six Group Stage matches.
It will be held in Al Thumama Stadium in Qatar’s capital Doha. Built especially for FIFA 2022, this stadium, designed by Ibrahim Jaidah, opened just one year ago in October 2021. Its shape was influenced by a traditional hat that boys and men wear throughout the Middle East, called the taquiyah hat.
What to Know Before You Go
The top two teams of each group will move on from the Group Stage to battle it out in the Round of 16. The winner of Group E will face the runner-up from Group F, while the runner-up from Group E will face the winner of Group F. Check out our World Cup 2022 Guide to see our analysis of Spain’s and Costa Rica’s likely placement in this tournament.
We recommend FuboTV for serious soccer fans. But if you are on a budget, Sling TV is a great choice.
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Can I watch Spain vs Costa Rica for free at the World Cup?
You can watch the World Cup match between Spain and Costa Rica for free as long as you have a digital antenna, you can get the Spain vs Costa Rica game in your home for free. Both Fox and Spanish language Telemundo are terrestrial, over-the-air networks. Going to a local sports pub that shows Qatar 2022 is another viable option. You can also use free trials from FuboTV and DIRECTV STREAM.
Will the radio air the Spain vs Costa Rica World Cup match?
If you want to listen to this game in English, you can do so with the SiriusXM satellite service. Fox Sports have given the channel rights to all 64 games, broadcasting on the network’s Channel 83. Supporters of both teams who want to listen in Spanish can listen to their local Fútbol de Primera affiliate. To find one in your area, go to the network’s official website, fdpradio.com.
Has Costa Rica played Spain before?
Costa Rica and Spain have met in international competitions three times in the past. But these have all been international friendlies. The first contest in 2011 ended up as a 2-2 draw. Spain won the other two games, 2-1 in 2015 and 5-0 in 2017.
Is Spain better than Costa Rica?
Spain is the 7th-ranked national team in the world, according to FIFA. Costa Rica is ranked 31st. So on paper, one would expect Spain to dominate. Most of the Costa Rica squad, except for goalkeeper Keylor Navas, comes from weaker Western Hemisphere leagues, whereas La Roja has footballers from LaLiga, English Premier League, and the German Bundesliga. But don’t count out Los Ticos. They know how to put up a fight.
How do I watch each qualifying team in the World Cup Qatar 2022?
Here are our guides to watching each qualifying football team in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 .
Be sure to check our our match schedule too, including today’s games.
Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11]- 11/15/2022
Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/13/2022
🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/12/2022