Coming in less than a week, the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar will start on November 20, 2022, and the match between Japan and Germany will take place Wednesday November 23 at , in the second match of the group stages. The match will be played at Khalifa International Stadium. Read on to learn all you need to know to watch.
In a hurry? To watch all the World Cup 2022 matches live you will need to subscribe to one of these streaming services:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 120+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save 50% on your first month of Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
World Cup Group E Match Schedule
The match taking place between Japan and Germany is the second match of the group stage matches. The Samurai Blue and Die NationalMannschaft are both a part of Group E along with Spain and Costa Rica.
Down below you will find a list of the group stage matches that both Japan and Germany will be participating. All times are EST.
- Wednesday November 23 : Germany vs Japan (Fox Sports One / Telemundo)
- Sunday November 27 : Japan vs Costa Rica (Fox Sports One / Telemundo)
- Sunday November 27 : Spain vs Germany (Fox Sports One / Telemundo)
- Thursday December 1 : Japan vs Spain (Fox / Universo)
- Thursday December 1 : Costa Rica vs Germany (Fox Sports One / Telemundo)
Where to Watch FIFA World Cup 2022
If you live in America and you’re a soccer fanatic, you’re in luck because every match will be broadcast live.
In order to live stream these matches from anywhere you are in the world you will need to sign up with a streaming service. If you’re already a user of either FuboTV or YouTube TV, you’re in luck again my friend, as both of these streaming services offer the aforementioned TV channels in their base plan. The more popular streaming services such as DIRECTV STREAM and Hulu + Live TV both offer Fox, Fox Sports One, and Telemundo in their base plans and you can even get Universo with an upgrade. Sling TV and Vidgo offer Fox and Fox Sports One as well. If Spanish is the only option you care for Peacock is a great cost-effective service.
After the group stages are decided and over the knockout rounds will begin, and they will occur as follows:
- Sat Dec 3 – Tue Dec 6: Round of 16
- Fri Dec 9 – Sat Dec 10: Quarter-Finals
- Tue Dec 13 – Wed Dec 14: Semi-Finals
- Sat Dec 17: Third-Place Play-Off
- Sun Dec 18: WC Final
How to Watch Germany vs Japan in Every Country
- United States: Telemundo Deportes (Streaming, App), Fox Sports (TV, Streaming, App), Peacock (Streaming, App), SiriusXM FC (TV, Streaming, App), Telemundo (TV, Streaming), Fox Sports 1 (TV, Streaming, App), Uforia (App)
- Canada: TSN1 (Streaming, App), TSN3 (Streaming, App), TSN4 (Streaming, App), TSN5 (Streaming, App), Réseau des sports (TV, Streaming, App)
- United Kingdom: ITV Hub (Streaming), talkSPORT Radio (Radio), BBC Radio 5 Live (Radio), STV (TV, Streaming, App)
- Germany: Das Erste (TV, Streaming, App)
- France: Free (TV, Streaming, App), beIN Sports 1 (TV), beIN SPORTS (TV, App)
- Colombia: To be confirmed - contact us if you know
- Indonesia: SCTV (TV, Streaming), Vidio (TV, Streaming, App)
- Spain: Gol Mundial (TV)
- India: JioTV (TV, Streaming, App), Sports18 (TV), Voot Select (Streaming, App)
- Japan: ABEMA (Streaming), NHK World Japan (TV, App)
Superpower Your Streaming With a VPN
For the sake of privacy, security, and access, you should be using a VPN. They are low-cost and easy to use. We’ve been using them for years and our top pick is ExpressVPN. Be sure to check out our Cyber Monday 2022 deals on ExpressVPN, NordVPN, SurfShark and PureVPN.
|i||Our VPN Buyer’s Guide provides a complete introduction and all you need to know to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
Germany VS Japan: The Teams
The first meeting between Japan and Germany will be in the second match of the group stage. FIFA has ranked both teams in the top 25 FIFA-ranked nations, so while Germany is heavily favored to win the match, victory in the WC is never a guaranteed thing. So before the big kickoff in Khalifa International Stadium let us get to know these two teams.
Germany’s World Cup Squad
- Nickname: Die NationalMannschaft (The National Team)
- Coach: Hans-Dieter Flick
- Captain: Manuel Neuer
- Top Scorer: Miroslav Klose (71)
- Most Caps: Lothar Matthaus (150)
At the FIFA WC in 2018, Germany had a rough go of it unfortunately not making it past the first hurdle making it to the knockout rounds for the first time since 1938. In the end, Germany came in last place.
Germanys showing in the FIFA 2018 WC should not reflect on their performance in the 2022 Qatar WC. Many of Germany’s players come from their own premeir league but the their entire roster is very diverse.
Players to watch for:
- Joshua Kimmish
- Leon Gortezka
- Ilkay Gundogan
- Jamal Musiala
Other Notable Player:
- Manuel Neuer (Goalkeeper, Bayern Munich)
- Matthias Ginter (Defender, Freiburg)
- Antonio Ruediger (Defender, Real Madrid)
- Niklas Suele (Defender, Borussia Dortmund)
- Nico Schlotterbeck (Defender, Borussia Dortmund)
- Jonas Hofmann (Midfielder, Borussia Moenchengladbach)
- Kai Haverts (Forward, Chelsea)
Japan’s World Cup Squad
- Nickname: Samurai Blue
- Coach: Hajime Moriyase
- Captain: Maya Yoshida
- Top Scorer: Kunis high Kama moto (75)
- Most Caps: Yasuhito Endo (152)
Japan is a frequent team included in the WC. However last year their performance was similar to that of Germany as Japan had only won one match in the group matched against Columbia (2-1), they tied Senegal, and lost to Poland. In the Round of 16, they lost in their first match against Belgium (3-2).
This year in Qatar, if you’re Japan fan, the player you should watch for are:
- Wataru Endo, the midfielder, is the heart of Japan’s national team, it is widely believed if he plays well Japan will play well.
Other notable players that will be on the 2022 Japan squad.
- Eiji Kawashima (Golakeeper, Strasbourg)
- Hiroko Sakai (Defender, Shimizu S-Pulse)
- Miki Yamane (Defender, Kawasaki Frontale)
- Takhiro Tomiyasu (Defender, Arsenal)
- Junya Ito (Midfielder, Reims)
- Ritsu Doan (Midfielder, Fribourg)
- Daizen Maeda (Forward, Celtic)
- Taking Asani (Forward, Bochum)
Prior Matches Between Germany and Japan
In the past, fate has pitted Germany against Japan just two times. Germany came out on top one of those two times whereas Japan did not win a single bout, just tieing their German opponents one time and losing the other.
What’s the Venue For Germany vs Japan’s World Cup Match?
The match between Germany and Japan will be the first of Group E’s six Group Stage matches. It will be held at Khalifa International Stadium in Qatar’s capital city of Doha. The stadium originally opened in 1976, and is named after Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani, Emir of Qatar 1972-1995. It was significantly expanded to host the WC.
What to Know Before You Go
The top team from Group E will go on to battle the runners-up from Group F, and the Group E number two team will face the Group F winners. Get all the information in our guides for seeing if Japan and/or Germany will be in that mix. Or check out our WC 2022 guide. To watch all of the games, we recommend FuboTV.
Is it possible to watch the match for free?
Watching the Japan vs Germany for free in English is not possible because they will broadcast the game on cable on FS1. But you can watch it in Spanish via antenna for free. Another alternative is to use a free streaming trial from FuboTV or DIRECTV STREAM. If you don’t mind not watching live, all Qatar 2022 matches will be available for replay on Tubi.
Will Japan vs Germany be on the Radio?
The matches will be on SiriusXM radio, with Germany and Japan on Fox Sports channel 83. The radio broadcast will be the audio for the TV broadcast, as there is no specific broadcast team for radio for the matches in the United States at this year’s World Cup.
Has Germany ever played Japan before?
The Germany and Japan national teams have played twice before in men’s soccer. One match was a German 3-0 victory, and the other was a 2-2 draw. The first time they played was in 2004, and the second time the two teams faced off was in 2006.
Is Germany or Japan the better soccer team?
Germany (FIFA rank #11) is a better soccer team than Japan (FIFA rank #24). Still, there is some doubt about the victor heading into the match. Germany may be better, but Japan is no slouch, and no one truly knows the outcome of the games before they end. That said, Germany should beat Japan.
How do I watch each qualifying team in the World Cup Qatar 2022?
Here are our guides to watching each qualifying football team in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 .
How can I watch other soccer leagues and major games?
These guides provide detailed information: