The 2022-23 UEFA Quarter-Final is upon us. Watch it on Paramount+!
Update: Costa Rica was eliminated at the Group Stage, placing last in Group E. They defeated Japan 1-0, but were walloped by Spain 0-7 and, to a lesser extent, Germany (2-4). Better luck in 2026, Ticos!
Costa Rica qualified for World Cup Qatar 2022 by defeating New Zealand 1-0 in a playoff match in Qatar in June.
Los Ticos made history in 1990 when they became the first team from Central America to win a match as well as the first from that region to advance past the group phase of the event.
Let’s take a closer look at the 2022 Costa Rican team and how you can watch their matches in Qatar.
In a hurry? If you are a fan of Los Ticos, you can watch them in the US in English on Fox or Fox Sports 1 or in Spanish on Telemundo and Universo.
You can also find the Costa Rican team’s matches streaming on these channels:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 130+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save a bundle with Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
If you can’t watch your favorite sports because of your location, get ExpressVPN to access the content you deserve.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Costa Rica’s matches are on November 23rd, 27th, and December 1st.
Table Of Contents
Team Costa Rica’s Background
Costa Rica was the surprise team at the 2014 World Cup, famously winning a group that featured England, Italy, and Uruguay before eliminating Greece in a shootout and then being eliminated in the quarterfinal round by the Netherlands in another shootout.
Although the team did return to this event four years ago, it ended up bottom of its group, and that was followed by the Central Americans securing the very last spot at this year’s event. They finished in fourth place in the CONCACAF’s final group stage before eliminating New Zealand, 1-0, in an intercontinental playoff.
The team then played a pair of friendlies in September, drawing an away match with South Korea, 2-2, before defeating Uzbekistan, 2-1, in a contest that was also played in Korea. Costa Rice then defeated Nigeria, 2-0, in a home sendoff in San Jose on Nov. 9 and will play an away friendly against Iraq on Nov. 17.
A couple of the biggest names that will represent this country will be Keylor Navas, who plays goalkeeper for Paris Saint-Germain, and Joel Campbell, a forward with Leon.
However, getting out of a group that includes Germany and Spain will be tough while Japan will likely push for advancement out of it as well, but if 2014 taught us anything, it is that predictions do not matter in the end. All that does is what happens once the ball is kicked.
2022 Team Costa Rica Roster
Los Ticos coach Luis Fernando Suárez is working with this talented team:
- Brandon Aguilera (midfielder, Nott’m Forest/Guanacasteca)
- Esteban Alvarado (goalkeeper, Herediano)
- Jewison Bennette (midfielder, Sunderland)
- Celso Borges (midfielder, Alajuelense)
- Francisco Calvo (defender, Konyaspor)
- Joel Campbell (forward, Club Leon)
- Daniel Chacon (defender, Colorado Rapids)
- Anthony Contreras (forward, Herediano)
- Oscar Duarte (defender, Al Wehda)
- Keysher Fuller (defender, Herediano)
- Anthony Hernandez (midfielder, Puntarenas)
- Douglas Lopez (midfielder, Herediano)
- Carlos Martinez (defender, San Carlos)
- Ronaldo Matarrita (defender, FC Cincinnati)
- Bryan Oviedo (defender, Real Salt Lake)
- Keylor Navas (goalkeeper, PSG)
- Bryan Ruiz (midfielder, Alajuelense)
- Youstin Salas (midfielder, Saprissa)
- Patrick Sequeira (goalkeeper, CD Lugo)
- Yeltsin Tejeda (midfielder, Herediano)
- Gerson Torres (midfielder, Herediano)
- Juan Pablo Vargas (defender, Millonarios)
- Johan Venegas (forward, Alajuelense)
- Kendall Waston (defender, Saprissa)
- Roan Wilson (midfielder, Grecia)
- Alvaro Zamora (midfielder, Saprissa)
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Team Costa Rica Qatar 2022 Schedule
Costa Rica is in Group E, along with Spain, Japan, and Germany. They each play each other once.
Here are Costa Rica’s schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday November 23 : Spain at Al Thumama Stadium
- Sunday November 27 : Japan at Al Rayyan Stadium
- Thursday December 1 : Germany at Al Bayt Stadium
If Los Ticos advance to the next phase, we’ll list the games here when they’re announced. But this is the overall schedule:
- Round of 16 (December 3-6)
- Quarter-Finals (December 9-10)
- Semi-Finals (December 13-14)
- Third-Place Play-Off (December 17)
- World Cup Final (December 18).
2022 World Cup Qatar Channels
Costa Rica’s first game will be televised on Fox while the other two matchups will be televised on Fox Sports 1 (FS1). In fact, all World Cup games broadcast in English will be shown on either of these two networks. You can watch content in Spanish on Telemundo or Universo.
The games featuring Costa Rica will be broadcast as follows:
- Wednesday November 23 : Fox/Telemundo
- Sunday November 27 : FS1/Telmundo
- Thursday December 1 : FS1/Telmundo
Watch World Cup With an Antenna
If you have an antenna, you will be able to watch Costa Rica’s first game without the need for a cable or streaming subscription.
Unfortunately, FS1 does not broadcast a signal over the air as it is a cable network.
Telemundo is also available to those who have an antenna. Check out our HD antenna guide for more information.
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
How to Stream Team Costa Rica at the World Cup 2022
Most mainstream streaming providers will offer Fox, FS1 and Telemundo as part of their content offerings.
The majority of these platforms offer a basic service tier that is priced between $64.99 and $69.99 per month. However, less expensive options may be available that meet your needs and budget.
If you want to stream content in both English and Spanish, you can do so by signing up for DIRECTV STREAM, FuboTV or Hulu + Live TV.
- FuboTV: This is the best streaming service for soccer fans. Get 120+ channels for just $74.99/mo. (FuboTV review)
- DIRECTV STREAM: Offers all the World Cup channels for $74.99/mo. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
- Hulu + Live TV: Offers 85+ channels along with ESPN+ and Disney+ for $69.99/mo. Note that you need the Español Add-on for Universo. (Hulu + Live TV review)
- YouTube TV: Provides 100+ channels to watch France at the Qatar 2022 for $72.99/mo.
English-Only Streaming Options For Team Costa Rica
Vidgo offers a variety of sports channels that you’ll enjoy watching now and after the World Cup comes to an end.
Sling Blue enables you to get national coverage of the World Cup and other events as well as local channels with an antenna.
- Sling Blue: Get the English-language channels you need for just $40.00/mo. (Sling TV review)
- Vidgo: Get Fox and ESPN channels for $69.99/mo. (Vidgo review)
Spanish-Only Streaming Coverage
By signing up for Peacock, you’ll get access to both Telemundo and Universo. The premium package starts at $4.99 with ads and $9.99 without ads, but it is worth noting that ads may still play during sporting events and other select programming.
- Peacock: All of Qatar 2022 in Spanish for just $4.99/mo. The premium package starts at $9.99 without ads, but it is worth noting that ads may still play during sporting events and other select programming.(Peacock review)
Watch Every Costa Rica Game in the World Cup
- United States: Telemundo (TV, Streaming), Peacock (Streaming, App), Uforia (App), Fox Sports (TV, Streaming, App), SiriusXM FC (TV, Streaming, App), Telemundo Deportes (Streaming, App), Fox Sports 1 (TV, Streaming, App), Universo - NBC.com (TV, Streaming, App)
- Canada: Réseau des sports (TV, Streaming, App), TSN3 (Streaming, App), TSN4 (Streaming, App), TSN1 (Streaming, App), TSN5 (Streaming, App), CTV Television Network (TV, App)
- United Kingdom: ITV Hub (Streaming), talkSPORT Radio (Radio), BBC Radio 5 Live (Radio), STV (TV, Streaming, App)
- Germany: ServusTV (TV, Streaming, App), Das Erste (TV, Streaming, App), ZDF (TV, Streaming, App)
- France: Free (TV, Streaming, App), beIN SPORTS (TV, App), beIN Sports 1 (TV)
- Colombia: To be confirmed - contact us if you know
- Indonesia: SCTV (TV, Streaming), Vidio (TV, Streaming, App)
- Spain: Gol Mundial (TV), fuboTV España (Streaming, App), TVE La Primera (TV), RTVE.es (Streaming, App)
- India: Voot Select (Streaming, App), JioTV (TV, Streaming, App), Sports18 (TV)
Superpower Your Live TV Streaming With a VPN
You can’t beat a VPN for privacy, security, and access. We have used them for years as an important part of our streaming toolkit and we recommend ExpressVPN.
|i||See our VPN Buyer’s Guide for complete information on how to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
Devices to Live Stream Team Costa Rica in Qatar 2022
You can live stream content through almost any device that enables you to access a web browser.
If you have a device that runs on iOS or Android, you can watch content using your preferred streaming service‘s app on that device. Your smartphone, tablet or smart television are all examples of devices that may run on these operating systems.
Your other options may include Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast or the Amazon Fire Stick.
Many other devices are also supported, including Xbox, Nintendo, and PlayStation consoles.
- All the services except DIRECTV STREAM support Android TV-based devices.
- All but Vidgo support Samsung smart TVs.
Our streaming reviews contain complete details.
What to Know Before You Go
Costa Rica will be making its fifth straight appearance at the World Cup, and soccer fans throughout the world will have an opportunity to follow their journey in Qatar.
You can join in on the fun by obtaining access to one of many streaming services that allow you to watch this tournament from wherever you happen to be. We recommend FuboTV and Sling TV for watching the 2022 Qatar World Cup.
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Can you watch Costa Rica play in the World Cup for free?
Viewers can watch all games over-the-air via antenna that appear on Fox and Telemundo. Only Costa Rica’s first game against Spain on November 23, 2022 is broadcast on Fox. But all the Group Stage matches will appear on Telemundo. If Costa Rica makes the Round of 16, you can watch all games on Fox and Telemundo. You can also watch with free trials from streaming services like FuboTV and DIRECTV STREAM. Finally, all the matches will be available free for replay on Tubi.
When was the last time Costa Rica won the World Cup?
Costa Rico has never won this tournament. The last time they qualified was in 2018 when officials placed them in a group with Brazil, Switzerland, and Serbia. They did not survive the group stage. Four years earlier, in Brazil, they lost in the quarterfinals to the Netherlands on penalties.
Can I listen to Costa Rica in the World Cup on the radio?
If you can tune your radio to a Fox Sports channel, you can listen to the games on the radio. They have over 60 AM stations and over 10 FM stations in major US markets. You can also use a provider to listen to the games. Possible choices include iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and Sirius XM.
Who did Costa Rica beat to qualify for the Qatar 2022?
Costa Rica beat New Zealand 1-0 to qualify for Qatar 2022. They were the last team to qualify for the World Cup. Josh Campbell’s goal early in the game was the only one to go in despite New Zealand trying 15 times and Costa Rica trying four other times.
Who is the captain of Team Costa Rica?
Bryan Ruiz is the captain of Team Costa Rica, and this is his third appearance in the World Cup. He is a left-footed midfielder. He also sometimes plays either wing position. He was born on August 18, 1985, which makes him one of the oldest players to participate in this tournament.
How do I watch each qualifying team in the World Cup Qatar 2022?
Here are our guides to watching each qualifying football team in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 .
Be sure to check our our match schedule too, including today’s games.
How can I watch other soccer leagues and major games?
These guides provide detailed information:
Costa Rica’s 2018 FIFA World Cup team by Edgar Breshchanov under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons.
Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11]- 11/15/2022
Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/13/2022
🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/12/2022