The 2022-23 UEFA Quarter-Final is upon us. Watch it on Paramount+!
Update: In a close match, Portugal was defeated 1-0 by Morocco in the Quarter Finals.
The Portugal national team is one of the best to compete at the FIFA World Cup. They are almost certain to make it through the Group Stage and into the knockout matches. And you can watch all these matches
In a hurry? Fans of A Seleção (The Selection) can watch all the Group Stage games with Portugal on Fox (in English) and Telemundo (in Spanish). This means these games can be watched most places for free. But you can also stream them with these services:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 130+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: This low-cost service allows you to select just the channel lineup you want. Save a bundle with Sling TV.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
If you can’t watch your favorite sports because of your location, get ExpressVPN to access the content you deserve.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
The Group Stage games of Portugal are taking place on November 24th and 28th and December 2nd. After that? Check back here! We’ll have all the information as it becomes available.
Team Portugal’s Background
Portugal will be making its eighth appearance at the World Cup in Qatar this November. It enters the tournament ranked ninth in the world, which means that it should be among the favorites to advance past group play and make an extended run toward a championship. Portugal qualified for this year’s event by winning its group during the second round of the UEFA regional tournament.
The country finished third at the 1966 event, which was the first final it qualified for. Portugal would finish fourth in 2006 and advance to the knockout stage of the 2010 and 2018 events. In 2022, the national team will begin the tournament as part of Group H, featuring Ghana, Uruguay, and South Korea.
Portugal will likely be favored to defeat Ghana, which is ranked 61st in the world as of October 2022. However, Uruguay will pose a stiff challenge as they play an aggressive style that can give any opponent fits. Despite being 28th in the world, South Korea is a plucky opponent that can steal a point from Portugal if the squad is not ready to go.
Portugal does have some momentum entering the World Cup as it won the 2019 Nations League Finals. It also finished second in group play in the 2022-2023 event after finishing that portion of the campaign 3-1-2.
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Portugal World Cup 2022 Roster
Fernando Santos leads a team with a significant amount of talent, which should put the minds of the team’s fans at ease. Cristiano Ronaldo is the name that most casual fans will recognize among the key players on the roster. However, others such as Joao Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, and Ruben Dias will all play key roles on the team. All three of these individuals play their club football for Manchester City.
Here is the full team lineup:
- Joao Cancelo (Defender, Manchester City)
- William Carvalho (Midfielder, Real Betis)
- Diogo Costa (Goalkeeper, Porto)
- Diogo Dalot (Defender, Manchester United)
- Ruben Dias (Defender, Manchester City)
- Joao Felix (Forward, Atletico Madrid)
- Bruno Fernandes (Midfielder, Manchester United)
- Raphael Guerreiro (Defender, Borussia Dortmund)
- Ricardo Horta (Forward, Braga)
- Rafael Leao (Forward, AC Milan)
- Joao Mario (Midfielder, Benfica)
- Nuno Mendes (Defender, PSG)
- Ruben Neves (Midfielder, Wolves)
- Matheus Nunes (Midfielder, Wolves)
- Otavio (Midfielder, Porto)
- Joao Palhinha (Midfielder, Fulham)
- Rui Patricio (Goalkeeper, Roma)
- Pepe (Defender, Porto)
- Danilo Pereira (Defender, PSG)
- Goncalo Ramos (Forward, Benfica)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Forward, Manchester United)
- Jose Sa (Goalkeeper, Wolves)
- Andre Silva (Forward, RB Leipzig)
- Antonio Silva (Defender, Benfica)
- Bernardo Silva (Midfielder, Manchester City)
- Vitinha (Midfielder, PSG)
Portugal World Cup Schedule
Portugal will begin group play on November 24th with a game against Ghana at Stadium 974. They will then take on Uruguay at Lusail Stadium on November 27th before wrapping up the first phase of the event against South Korea.
The match against South Korea will take place on December 2nd at Education City Stadium. If Portugal gets past the first round of the tournament, it will play its next match in the Group of 16 on either December 5th or 6th.
How to Watch Portugal Matches in the United States
Any match that is broadcast in English in the United States will be shown on Fox. If you would like to watch matches in Spanish, you can do so on Telemundo. Other matches will air on FS1 (English) and Universo (Spanish).
Fox and its affiliate networks as well as Telemundo and Universo are available through most cable and streaming platforms. Here is the schedule with Eastern Standard Times:
- Thursday November 24 : Ghana (Fox/Telemundo)
- Monday November 28 : Uruguay (Fox/Telemundo)
- Friday December 2 : South Korea (Fox/Telemundo)
How to Watch Team Portugal With an OTA Antenna
Fox and Telemundo are among the stations that you should be able to get access to with an antenna, assuming you live near a local affiliate. This means that you can watch a select number of World Cup games (including all the Group State games featuring Portugal) for free. See our antenna guide for information on doing so.
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
How to Stream Portugal Matches in the USA
There are a number of streaming services that have the rights to networks that broadcast games in both English and Spanish. FuboTV is generally considered to be the streaming service that is most geared toward soccer fans. The base service package starts at $74.99/mo and comes with dozens of domestic and international sports networks and events. See our FuboTV review.
You can also get DIRECTV STREAM ($74.99/mo) and Hulu + Live TV ($69.99/mo). Hulu + Live TV also comes with ESPN+ and Disney+ as part of its monthly fee, which gives you access to a wide variety of content for after the World Cup is over. (See our DIRECTV STREAM and Hulu + Live TV reviews for more information.)
For $72.99/mo, you can subscribe to YouTube TV and watch Fox, FS1, and other quality networks that broadcast in multiple languages whenever you want.
If you want to simply watch games in English, you can sign up for Sling Blue, which will cost $40.00/mo. (See our Sling TV review.) Vidgo is another quality source for those who are looking to stream content in English, and at $69.99/mo, it is a service that most people should be able to fit into their content budgets. (Check out our Vidgo review.)
Peacock is the platform to subscribe to if you want to watch games in Spanish. For $4.99 a month, you’ll get access to a ton of NBCUniversal content and every World Cup game in Spanish. (Our Peacock review has more.)
How to Watch Portugal Games Outside of the United States
In Portugal, live coverage of all of the national team’s games will be broadcast on RTP Desporto. In Brazil, games will be broadcast in Portuguese on TV Globo.
If you are watching in Europe, you can do so through BBC or ITV in the United Kingdom or RTÉ2 in Ireland. Select European nations will be able to watch live coverage of the World Cup through beIN Sports.
Bell Media (CTV) will handle broadcasting duties in Canada while Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) has the rights to games being shown in Australia. Sky Sports in New Zealand will broadcast matches shown to viewers in that nation.
Watch Every Portugal Game in the World Cup
- United States: Fox Sports (TV, Streaming, App), Telemundo (TV, Streaming), Telemundo Deportes (Streaming, App), Uforia (App), SiriusXM FC (TV, Streaming, App), Peacock (Streaming, App)
- Canada: TSN3 (Streaming, App), Réseau des sports (TV, Streaming, App), TSN1 (Streaming, App), TSN4 (Streaming, App), TSN5 (Streaming, App), CTV Television Network (TV, App)
- United Kingdom: BBC Radio 5 Live (Radio), STV (TV, Streaming, App), ITV Hub (Streaming), talkSPORT Radio (Radio)
- Germany: ServusTV (TV, Streaming, App), ZDF (TV, Streaming, App), Das Erste (TV, Streaming, App)
- France: Free (TV, Streaming, App), beIN Sports 1 (TV), TF1 (TV, Streaming, App), Molotov (TV, Streaming, App)
- Colombia: To be confirmed - contact us if you know
- Indonesia: Vidio (TV, Streaming, App), SCTV (TV, Streaming), Indosiar (TV, Streaming)
- Spain: Gol Mundial (TV)
- India: Sports18 (TV), Voot Select (Streaming, App), JioTV (TV, Streaming, App), DD Sports (TV, App)
Superpower Your Live TV Streaming With a VPN
You can’t beat a VPN for privacy, security, and access. We have used them for years as an important part of our streaming toolkit and we recommend ExpressVPN.
|i||See our VPN Buyer’s Guide for complete information on how to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
Devices You Can Stream Games With
If you have an Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Roku, or Chromecast, you can stream Portugal at Qatar 2022 with ease since all of the services offer it. Your phone or tablet can also become a streaming device regardless of whether it has an iOS or Android operating system. You can also stream on smart TVs and gaming systems like the Xbox. And, of course, you can stream with a web browser.
See these articles for complete information on streaming devices:
What to Know Before You Go
Portugal has one of the largest followings among the teams that have qualified for the 2022 World Cup. Fortunately, there are many easy ways to follow the team regardless of where you live or what your content budget may be. We recommend FuboTV for serious soccer fans. But if you are on a budget, Sling TV is a great deal!
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Where can I watch Portugal for free in the World Cup?
There are several ways to watch Portugal compete in the World Cup for free, including watching the games that appear on Fox and Telemundo with an antenna over the air. You can also sign up for free trials from FuboTV, DIRECTV STREAM, and YouTube TV. You can also watch replays for free on Tubi.
When was the last time Portugal won the World Cup?
Portugal has never won any of the previous tournaments, despite seven appearances. Their best results were third place in 1966 and a fourth-place showing in 2006. This year marks the fifth straight tournament for which they’ve qualified, which shows that the team has improved immensely over the past few years, in no small part due to the presence of Cristiano Ronaldo. Between 1970 and 1998, they qualified only one time.
Can I listen to Portugal in the World Cup on the radio?
Yes, there are multiple options to listen to Portugal’s matches at Qatar 2022 on the radio. SiriusXM will run all matches. Fox Sports Radio has teamed up with TuneIn to provide a simulcast of the English language broadcasts (requires a $7.99 Premium subscription). For Spanish commentary, Fútbol de Primera will have the games available across on country on 118 affiliates, many of which are available for free on iHeartRadio.com and their mobile app.
When did Portugal qualify for the World Cup Qatar 2022?
Portugal qualified for Qatar 2022 on March 29 of this year when they defeated North Macedonia in the UEFA playoffs. In the first round of qualifiers, the club was 5-1-2, which ranked second in Group A, only behind Serbia, which had a 6-0-2 record. In the first round of the playoffs, they defeated Turkey 3-1.
Who is the captain of Team Portugal?
The captain of Portugal’s national team is world-renowned superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, who is considered to be one of the greatest of all time. He has won the Ballon d’Or five times and has the most international goals scored of any player in history. However, at age 37, this may well be his final tournament, giving the team an extra incentive to win it all in Qatar this year.
How do I watch each qualifying team in the World Cup Qatar 2022?
Here are our guides to watching each qualifying football team in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 .
Be sure to check our our match schedule too, including today’s games.
Image cropped from Vieirinha with Portugal in June 2013 under CC BY-SA 3.0.
Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11]- 11/15/2022
Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/13/2022
🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/12/2022