Indianapolis 500 comes around for the 107th edition this year as part of the NTT IndyCar Series. It will be held at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) in Speedway, Indiana on Sunday, May 28 . Josef Newgarden emerged victorious in this year’s race. Catch all the action from home with Sling TV!
In a hurry? Don’t worry, IndyCar fans: Sling Blue has you covered for race day with NBC offering coverage to Indy 500.
This will be the 107th Indianapolis 500 held annually at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Speedway, Indiana. It is traditionally held over Memorial Day Weekend, the last Sunday of May. You can watch all the action from Indianapolis Motor Speedway on FS1 included with Sling Blue for just $40.00/mo.
Indianapolis 500 Overview
Indianapolis 500, also Indy 500, is a 500-mile IndyCar Series race and consists of 200 laps around a 2.5 mile oval track. It is known as The Greatest Spectacle in Racing and considered part of the Triple Crown of Motorsport along with the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the Monaco Grand Prix.
The first Indy 500 was run in 1911, with 40 cars. It was won by Ray Harroun driving a single-seat Marmon Wasp, clocking an average speed of 74.59 mph. These days, racers go more than twice that, averaging around 190 mph!
The most wins by a driver in the Indy 500 — four — is a four-way tie between Helio Castroneves, A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears, and Al Unser.
Last year’s race saw Swedish driver Marcus Ericsson of Chip Ganassi Racing winning with a Dallara DW12-Honda race car. In this year’s Indy, he will be looking to add to his single victory at the Streets of St. Petersburg this season.
Indianapolis 500 Schedule
The Indy 500 follows Indy Grand Prix #1. Here is a list of the events taking place from 16th to 28th (collectively known in racing as “the Month of May”):
- Tue May 16 – : Opening Day – Indianapolis 500 Practice
- Wed May 17 – om: Indianapolis 500 Practice
- Thu May 18 – : Indianapolis 500 Practice
- Fri May 19 – : Fast Friday – Indianapolis 500 Practice
- Fri May 19 – : Qualification Draw
- Sat May 20 – : Practice: Full Field
- Sat May 20 – : Full Field Qualifying (NBC)
- Sun May 21 – : Practice: Top 12
- Sun May 21 – : Practice: Last Chance Qualifiers
- Sun May 21 – : Top 12 Qualifying (NBC)
- Sun May 21 – : Last Chance Qualifying (NBC)
- Sun May 21 – : Firestone Fast Six
- Mon May 22 – : Indianapolis 500 Practice
- Fri May 26 – : Indianapolis 500 Practice
- Fri May 26 – : Indy 500 Pit Stop Challenge
- Fri May 26 – : Miller Lite Carb Day Concert
- Sat May 27 – : Full-Field Autograph Session
- Sat May 27 – : Public Drivers Meeting
- Sat May 27 – : Veteran Driver Autograph Session A
- Sat May 27 – : Veteran Driver Autograph Session B
- Sun May 28 : Green Flag of the 107th Running of the Indianapolis 500 Presented by Gainbridge (NBC)
Here’s a list of teams and racers taking part in Indy 500:
- Team Penske — Josef Newgarden, Scott McLaughlin, Will Power
- A.J. Foyt Racing — Benjamin Pedersen, Santino Ferrucci
- Arrow McLaren — Pato O’Ward, Felix Rosenqvist, Alexander Rossi, Tony Kanaan
- Chip Ganassi Racing — Marcus Ericsson, Scott Dixon, Alex Palou, Takuma Sato
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing — Graham Rahal, Jack Harvey, Katherine Legge, Christian Lundgaard
- Dale Coyne Racing — David Malukas, Sting Ray Robb
- Ed Carpenter Racing — Conor Daly, Rinus Veekay, Ed Carpenter
- Dreyer & Reinbold Racing — Ryan Hunter-Reay, Stefan Wilson
- Andretti Autosport — Colton Herta, Kyle Kirkwood, Romain Grosjean, Devlin DeFrancesco, Marco Andretti
- Abel Motorsports — R.C. Enerson
- Juncos Hollinger Racing — Callum Ilott, Augustin Canapino
- Meyer Shank Racing — Helio Castroneves, Simon Pagenaud
The Indianapolis 500 is one of the many races in the IndyCar Series, and you can watch it all with Sling Blue by signing up today. Save on Sling TV now!
Featured photo: Aerial photo of Indianapolis Motor Speedway complex looking north by tpsdave under CC0 / public domain via Wikimedia Commons.
Page Updates ▼▲
Added a few links. Various changes to content.