Our modern streaming world has been a boon for horse racing. It is no longer necessary to leave home to keep up on this active sport. And you not only don’t need cable, but you’ll find better options online.
In a hurry? To watch all the big races and coverage of the day-to-day races, you need to have access to NBC and TVG. These streaming services offer these:
- FuboTV: The best streaming service for international sports also provides 120+ well-selected channels. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Get a great channel lineup with the best selection of RSNs in the industry. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
- Hulu + Live TV: A great overall streaming service offering 85+ live channels along with ESPN+ and Disney+. Try one month for $69.99.
If you can’t watch your favorite sports because of your location, get ExpressVPN to access the content you deserve.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that covers this sport. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the content you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
Horse racing is one of the most popular sports in the world. This is at least partly because it is so easy to wager on the outcome of a race. And with off-track betting, you don’t even need to be onsite.
Of course, there are some races such as the Kentucky Derby or Melbourne Cup that tend to be more popular than others. Let’s take a look at why racing is so popular, provide some more details about the top races, and provide some more information about how you can keep track of all of the action.
Horse Racing Basics
As a general rule, most of the races that take place on any given day have relatively low stakes. In most cases, the minimum bet is $1, and you can place bets on as many different horses as you want.
There are a variety of betting types with the single being the most popular. To win, you must simply choose the horse that will win, place, or show (come in first, second or better, or third or better). Parlays are also popular among bettors. These bets require picking the winner of multiple events.
If you are betting online, you’ll typically need to fund your account prior to making a wager. This is typically referred to as advance deposit wagering (ADW). This is different from how it is normally done at the track where you generally hand over the funds for each bet.
Racing websites and magazines can be important sources of information if you are trying to determine which horses are most likely to win. You will often be able to learn more about what happened in its most recent starts and how a given horse has fared on the track it is racing on.
These sources may also provide data about jockeys, trainers, and own the horses. And this may help you gain an edge that might make you more successful as a bettor.
The Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and Belmont Stakes are perhaps the three most important horse races in the United States. They feature 3-year-old thoroughbreds and are collectively known as the Triple Crown. Only 13 horses have managed to win all three races starting with Sir Barton in 1919. However, winning any of these races is generally considered to be a high honor.
Each year, the Breeders’ Cup features competitors from multiple countries and continents. The event is held over the course of two days at various tracks throughout the United States.
The Dubai World Cup is held in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). It is the final race of nine that take place over the course of a single day. It has one of the biggest purses of any race at $12 million.
The Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe takes place in France each October and is open to horses of all ages.
Finally, the Melbourne Cup is held on the first Tuesday of each November in Australia. It is such a popular event that local businesses typically grind to a halt at 3 pm so that people can watch it.
Churchill Downs is the home of the Kentucky Derby, which draws the largest crowd of any horse race in North America. This track also hosts a series of other important races such as the Kentucky Oaks and the Turf Classic Stakes.
The Preakness Stakes takes place at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore — the site of the famous race between Seabiscuit and War Admiral in 1938. The Belmont Stakes takes place at Belmont Park in Elmont, NY. Other important race tracks located in the United States include Gulf Stream Park and Santa Anita Park.
Flemington Racecourse in Australia is the host for the Melbourne Cup while the Meydan Racecourse in Dubai hosts the Dubai World Cup. The Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe is hosted at Longchamp Racecourse in Paris.
Unblock Your Favorite Events & Teams With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite events or teams because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
2022 Breeders’ Cup
Flightline won the 2022 Breeders’ Cup Classic!
The 2022 Breeders’ Cup will take place Friday, November 4th and Saturday, November 5th with coverage on NBC, USA Network, Peacock, and FanDuel (formerly TVG).
Generally, when people speak of the Breeders’ Cup, they are referring to the final race, this year, the Longines Breeders’ Cup Classic. But the event itself consists of 14 races (EDT).
- Fri Nov 4 : Juvenile Turf Sprint (FanDuel, USA)
- Fri Nov 4 : Juvenile Fillies (FanDuel, USA)
- Fri Nov 4 : Juvenile Fillies Turf (FanDuel, USA)
- Fri Nov 4 : Juvenile (FanDuel, USA)
- Fri Nov 4 : Juvenile Turf (FanDuel, USA)
- Sat Nov 5 : Filly & Mare Sprint (FanDuel)
- Sat Nov 5 : Turf Sprint (FanDuel)
- Sat Nov 5 : Dirt Mile (FanDuel, USA)
- Sat Nov 5 : Filly & Mare Turf (FanDuel, USA)
- Sat Nov 5 : Sprint (FanDuel, USA)
- Sat Nov 5 : Mile (FanDuel, USA)
- Sat Nov 5 : Distaff (FanDuel, NBC, Peacock)
- Sat Nov 5 : Turf (FanDuel, NBC, Peacock)
- Sat Nov 5 : Classic (NBC, Peacock)
Note that there will be undercard races as well. There will be 5 on Friday, starting at and 3 on Saturday, starting at (with the final race after the Classic). As far as we know, only FanDuel will provide coverage for these undercard races.
Where to Watch
NBC has exclusive rights to all three Triple Crown races, and these events will also be available to those who have a subscription to Peacock. NBC also has the exclusive rights to Breeders’ Cup events. It has been broadcast on NBCSN in the past so will most likely air on USA in the future.
- Sat May 7 : Kentucky Derby
- Sat May 21 : Preakness Stakes
- Sat Jun 11 : Belmont Stakes
- Sat Nov 5 TBD: Breeders’ Cup
If you have access to Fox, FS1, and FS2, you may be able to watch limited coverage of various events that take place throughout the racing year. There is also a section on the Fox Sports website that provides content that may be of interest to racing fans.
However, you should have no problem watching the majority of races either live or soon after they finish by subscribing to TVG. This is because the network offers feeds from dozens of tracks in the United States and throughout the country. It’s also worth noting that many tracks offer live feeds of all the races that they host on a given day.
Finally, if you use services such as NYRABets or Twin Spires, you may be able to watch live coverage of any race that you are betting on. The same may be true if you use Xpressbet to make your wagers.
If you are in the UK, you can watch racing content on Sky Sports (stream on NOW) or on Racing TV. In Australia, it may be possible to watch live races on Channel 7 or through live streams offered by tracks in that country.
Breeders Cup Classic Entrants
These are the Breeders Cup Classic horses. The slated jockeys are in parentheses.
- Cyberknife (Florent Geroux)
- Life Is Good (Irad Ortiz Jr)
- Olympiad (Junior Alvarado)
- Flightline (Flavien Prat)
- Epicenter (Joel Rosario)
- Taiba (Mike Smith)
- Happy Saver (John Velazquez)
- Rich Strike (Sonny Leon)
- Hot Rod Charlie (Tyler Gaffalione)
How to Stream Horse Racing
The biggest races will air on NBC, so if that’s all you care about, you can watch over the air (OTA) with an antenna. And this is a great option for most people. Don’t think about the old days of analog rabbit ears. Modern OTA broadcasting is digital and in HD. See our antenna guide on getting set-up.
If you want to stream NBC (with an antenna or not), Sling TV is a great choice. But if you want TVG and TVG2, you need one of these streaming services:
- FuboTV: Get 110+ channels for $69.99/mo. It offers a broad range of channels but the focus is on sports. The base plan includes TVG. The Sports Plus add-on ($10.99/mo) will get you TVG2 as well as NFL RedZone, MLB Network, NBA TV, and two dozen other channels. All Fubo plans come with 1000 hours of cloud DVR and simultaneous streaming on 10 devices. (FuboTV review)
- DIRECTV STREAM (formerly AT&T TV): The Choice plan comes with TVG for $89.99/mo. In all, you get roughly 100 channels including the industry’s best selection of regional sports networks (RSNs). It also comes with unlimited cloud DVR storage (online orders only) and stream on up to 20 devices at the same time. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
- Hulu + Live TV: This is a great overall service with 85+ live TV channels, the industry-leading on-demand library, Disney+, and ESPN+. You get all that for $69.99/mo. If you want TVG and TVG2, you need to upgrade with the Sports add-on for $9.99/mo extra. It comes with unlimited cloud DVR with 9 months of storage and streaming on up to two devices at once. (Hulu + Live TV review)
- YouTube TV: This plan is similar to Hulu + Live TV but without Disney+ and ESPN+ for a bit less, $64.99/mo. The Sports Plus add-on ($10.99/mo) comes with TVG (but not TVG2).
- TVG: You can get TVG dirtly and watch via it’s app. It costs $9.99/mo.
Superpower Your Streaming With a VPN
For the sake of privacy, security, and access, you should be using a VPN. They are low-cost and easy to use. We’ve been using them for years and our top pick is ExpressVPN. Be sure to check out our Black Friday deals on ExpressVPN, NordVPN and SurfShark.
|i||Our VPN Buyer’s Guide provides a complete introduction and all you need to know to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
Streaming Devices for Horse Racing
The following devices are supported by all the live TV streaming services:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android mobile devices
- Apple TV
- Google Chromecast
- iOS devices (iPhone, iPad)
- Samsung smart TVs
- Web browsers.
DIRECTV STREAM also supports its own device, which you can buy directly from them.
Additionally, FuboTV, Hulu + Live TV, and YouTube TV support these devices:
- Android TV devices
- LG smart TVs
- VIZIO smartcast TVs
- Xbox One.
Hulu + Live TV and YouTube TV support the gaming system PlayStation. Hulu also supports the Nintendo Switch.
For complete lists of supported devices, see our streaming service reviews.
What is advance deposit wagering?
Advance-deposit wagering simply means that you have to deposit funds into your account before you make a wager. If you submit bets from outside the track, you’ll usually do so electronically, and you’ll typically link your betting account to a debit card or bank account. Any money that you win will be deposited into your betting account before being transferred to a bank or bank card.
What happened at the 2022 Preakness Stakes?
The Preakness Stakes ran Sat May 21st at . The race itself was on NBC but other coverage occurred on CNBC and USA. Nine horses competed in this year’s Preakness. Here they are with the jockeys and starting odds.
- Simplification — John Velázquez (6-1)
- Creative Minister — Brian Hernandez Jr (10-1)
- Fenwick — Paco Lopez (50-1)
- Secret Oath — Luis Sáez (9-2)
- Early Voting — José Ortiz (7-2)
- Happy Jack — Tyler Gaffalione (30-1)
- Armagnac — Irad Ortiz Jr (18-1)
- Epicenter — Joel Rosario (6-5)
- Skippylongstocking — Júnior Alvarado (20-1).
One notable absence is Rich Strike. His owner announced a week before the event that he would not take part in the event but may run in the Belmont Stakes on Jun 11th.
The final results were:
- Early Voting
- Creative Minister
- Secret Oath
- Happy Jack
What happened at the 2022 Belmont Stakes?
The 2022 Belmont Stakes took play Saturday, June 11th at roughly (EDT). The horses, jockeys, and initial odds are given below:
- We The People — Flavien Prat (2-1)
- Skippylongstocking — Manny Franco (20-1)
- Nest — Jose Ortiz (8-1)
- Rich Strike — Sonny Leon (7-2)
- Creative Minister — Brian Hernandez Jr (6-1)
- Mo Donegal — Irad Ortiz Jr (7-2)
- Golden Glider — Dylan Davis (20-1)
- Barber Road — Joel Rosario (10-1)
The final results were:
- Mo Donegal
- We The People
- Creative Minister
- Rich Strike
- Barber Road
- Golden Glider
How can I find out more about watching horse racing without cable?
We have other resources for watching horse racing without cable. You can find out all about gaining access to different channels including TVG and NBC. Currently, we only have one page on watching a particular race: Kentucky Derby Viewers Guide. But we are always expanding so check back for more.
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
- Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11] - 11/15/2022
- Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10] - 11/13/2022
- 🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10] - 11/12/2022