For many people, Valentine’s Day is not worth the stress and cost of going out — regardless of how in love they may feel. It’s better to stay home with that special someone and watch your favorite romantic movie. But what movie should you watch while you snuggle up?
We partnered with Mindnet Analytics to take a look at the favorite romantic movie of each state and the District of Columbia (DC). Using data from Google Trends and Rotten Tomatoes, we not only found each favorite but also how their interest in romances compared to other states.
Check out the results for 2021 below!
Table Of Contents
Some Interesting Finds
- “Gone with the Wind” claims the top spot, ranking as the top romantic movie in five states: Alabama, Kentucky, Ohia, Tennessee, and Virginia.
- “Beauty and the Beast,” “Her,” “The Little Mermaid,” and “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” were some of the most popular across the country.
- Many states picked movies that were locally based. Illinois was most obsessed with “The Big Sick,” based in Chicago. New York still thinks that “Brooklyn” is the best romantic film. Washington state naturally is most obsessed with “Sleepless in Seattle.”
- Georgia shifted interests this year toward “Romeo and Juliet”, but “Gone With the Wind” (based in Georgia) was a top favorite in neighboring states of Tennessee and Alabama.
- Washington DC showed the highest level of interest in romantic movies, followed by Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine, Utah, and Alaska.
- Georgia showed the least interest in romantic movies, followed by Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, the Carolinas, Alabama, and Texas.
Interest Levels by State
Each State’s Romantic Movie Pick
|#||Location||Movie Most Obsessed With|
|1||Alabama||Gone With The Wind|
|5||California||Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind|
|9||District of Columbia||When Harry Met Sally|
|10||Florida||The Little Mermaid|
|11||Georgia||Romeo And Juliet|
|12||Hawaii||The Little Mermaid|
|14||Illinois||The Big Sick|
|18||Kentucky||Gone With The Wind|
|19||Louisiana||The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button|
|26||Missouri||The Shop Around The Corner|
|27||Montana||The Shape Of Water|
|28||Nebraska||Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind|
|30||New Hampshire||To Catch A Thief|
|31||New Jersey||Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind|
|32||New Mexico||Knocked Up|
|34||North Carolina||The Big Sick|
|36||Ohio||Gone With The Wind|
|37||Oklahoma||Beauty And The Beast|
|39||Pennsylvania||Beauty And The Beast|
|40||Rhode Island||The Town|
|42||South Dakota||Slumdog Millionaire|
|43||Tennessee||Gone With The Wind|
|47||Virginia||Gone With The Wind|
|48||Washington||Sleepless In Seattle|
|49||West Virginia||Beauty And The Beast|
|50||Wisconsin||The Little Mermaid|
[Analysis conducted by Mindnet Analytics in partnership with HotDog.com]
First we used the list of the top 100 best fresh romantic movies from Rotten Tomatoes to determine a set of candidate movies that each state might be most obsessed with and the Rotten Tomatoes Top 100 Romance Movies. We combined these lists and then removed duplicates.
The data used to determine which movie each state is most obsessed with came from Google Trends state-wise search frequencies. In order to avoid counting searches for things that share the name of a movie such as “Her” we used the Google Trends search filter category 34 to return only counts of searches for movies. We only counted search frequencies from February 1st, 2020 through January 20th, 2021.
For our map of romantic movie interest by state, we summed the search frequencies for all movies on our list for each state. Thus the states that we find have more romantic movie interest are the ones that searched more for the most romantic movies.