Whether you’ve moved away from where you grew up, or you just like another team better, plenty of football fans follow a team that isn’t the closest. SoCal Packers Backers. Steelers fans down South. 49ers fans all along the East Coast and Cowboys fans everywhere.
But it’s hard to follow a team when you can’t watch the games — and that’s where NFL Sunday Ticket comes in.
In a hurry? NFL Sunday Ticket gives you access to all the Sunday afternoon regular season games. It’s currently only available from DIRECTV’s satellite TV service for $293.94 (for the season). NFL Sunday Ticket Max is $395.94.
If you’d rather talk to someone about NFL Sunday Ticket, a support person at DIRECTV Satellite can walk you through the process. Just call 877-432-7840. They are available Mon-Fri ( to ) and Saturday ( to ) — all Eastern Time.
Table Of Contents
NFL Sunday Ticket is the only way to get access to all the out-of-market games in the United States. (Outside of the US is a different story.) And, unfortunately for cord cutters, Sunday Ticket is currently only available from DIRECTV Satellite.
And before you get the wrong idea, Sunday Ticket is only available with the satellite plan. It is not available with DIRECTV STREAM.
NFL Sunday Ticket Overview
NFL Sunday Ticket is a subscription package that includes all live out-of-market Sunday afternoon games, plus some bonus features.
Generally speaking, Sunday afternoon AFC games are broadcast on CBS and NFC games on Fox. In the case of an AFC team playing an NFC team, the conference of the away team determines the network. Early NFL games start at roughly (ET), late games at roughly (ET).
Any given weekend, there are a dozen or so games. The local CBS and Fox stations show the games that will appeal most to the local audience. In other words, there will be roughly 8 NFL games that any given viewer will not be able to see because they are not shown in the local TV market.
NFL Sunday Ticket was created for the person who moves away from their favorite team, the habitual game-surfer, or fantasy football fan. It fills in the live games on Sunday afternoons that your local networks don’t air.
Note that NFL Sunday Ticket is only an out-of-market service. So it does not include primetime games. And it does not include games that air on your local CBS and Fox affiliates. But don’t worry, DIRECTV includes those channels in its live channel lineup.
Unblock Your Favorite Events & Teams With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite events or teams because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
Learn how to watch March Madness!
NFL Sunday Ticket Plans and Features
NFL Sunday Ticket costs $293.94 for the season or $48.99/mo. In addition to providing access to all out-of-market Sunday afternoon NFL games, it offers the following features:
- Game Mix: 4-Game Mix on ch 701 or 8-Game Mix on ch 702. This allows you to watch multiple games at once with score, time, and current quarter. A ticker at the bottom of the screen provides info on the games not on-screen.
- Short Cuts: 30-minute condensed replays, commercial-free, for all the Sunday afternoon games. These are available on the Sunday Ticket app, Monday through Wednesday.
- Stats, Scores, and Standings: From any Sunday Ticket channel, get the full game-day schedule; game, team, and player statistics and standings; and scoring plays summarized and broken down by quarter.
- Player Tracker: Add your favorite players to instantly view stats and get alerts when one is involved in a highlight.
NFL Sunday Ticket Max
NFL Sunday Ticket Max costs $395.94, or $65.99/mo. You get everything in the regular Sunday Ticket package, plus two extra channels:
- Red Zone: Similar to the NFL Network’s NFL RedZone channel hosted by Scott Hanson (which is not available on DIRECTV), this version hosted by Andrew Siciliano has similar whip-around coverage featuring “every touchdown from every game” for seven hours on Sundays.
- DIRECTV Fantasy Zone: A fantasy-focused companion to Red Zone, this channel provides real-time commentary, statistics, and player updates as well as expert analysis for fantasy football fans.
How to Get NFL Sunday Ticket
So what are your Sunday Ticket options? Sad to say, currently, there aren’t many for most people. DIRECTV holds all the Sunday Ticket cards, and it is not sharing. Here’s the only option for most people:
- Sign up for DIRECTV’s satellite TV service. From there, you can add NFL Sunday Ticket to your subscription.
However, there are a couple of cases where DIRECTV will let you subscribe to a streaming version of NFL Sunday Ticket, NFLSundayTicket.TV. Note that you will be required to verify eligibility.
- You live in a multi-dwelling building, such as a condo or an apartment, where you are not allowed to install a satellite dish
- You live in a home that does not have satellite service coverage due to line-of-sight issues
If you meet either of these criteria, you can go to NFLSundayTicket.TV and sign up for the same price as DIRECTV satellite folks. It also has a Max version with the same bonus channels.
And finally, if you’re a current college student or were enrolled in college in the last 18 months, you can subscribe to NFLSundayTicket.TV U for $99.96, a massive discount. It contains the same channel package as NFL Sunday Ticket Max.
Superpower Your Streaming With a VPN
For the sake of privacy, security, and access, you should be using a VPN. They are low-cost and easy to use. We’ve been using them for years and our top pick is ExpressVPN. Be sure to check out our deals page on ExpressVPN, NordVPN, SurfShark and PureVPN.
|i||Our VPN Buyer’s Guide provides a complete introduction and all you need to know to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
Alternatives for Cord Cutters
There is no doubt that NFL Sunday Ticket is by far the best way to watch NFL out-of-market games. But it is not the only way. Here are other ways to watch NFL games on Sunday afternoon if you cannot access NFL Sunday Ticket.
NFL+ allows you to live stream access local and primetime games — but limited to mobile devices. With NFL+ Premium, you can also listen to live game audio or watch replays and compressed games for the regular season and playoffs.
The game replays allow you to watch games after they have finished airing live. You get to watch the whole game without commercials. It’s great for those who want to study games.
Another popular feature for gaining insight into NFL games is the Coaches Film. Subscribers are guaranteed no game update spoilers.
While live games are limited to mobile devices, you can watch replays on almost any device including Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and Roku devices as well as smart TVs.
All this comes with a subscription of $9.99/mo or $79.99/yr.
Stick With Local Programming
Another alternative to NFL Sunday Ticket is an HD antenna, which gives you the ability to watch all your local team’s games plus Sunday Night Football and many Monday Night Football games. (As of this season, Thursday Night Football is only available through Amazon Prime Video.)
Of course, all of these are the opposite of out-of-market games. But if you are a fan of your local NFL team, then you will at least get to watch those games.
Live TV streaming services provide access to football throughout the season.
- FuboTV: A sports-focused streaming service with over 120 live channels for $74.99/mo. A 1000-hour cloud DVR is provided as well as streaming on 10 devices. (FuboTV review)
- DIRECTV STREAM: The best coverage for MLB, NBA, and NHL with an extensive regional sports networks and local channels from $99.99/mo. It offers unlimited cloud DVR and streaming on unlimited devices for all its packages. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
- Sling TV: Sling Blue offers NBC and Fox that costs $40.00/mo. You can also get ABC and CBS if you set up the free antenna that comes with the purchase of two months ABC Sports is also available via ESPN3, which you can get with the Orange + Blue plan for $15 more. (Sling TV review)
- Hulu + Live TV: For just $69.99/mo you get 85+ live channels and ESPN+ and Disney+. It provides local channels including ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. (Hulu + Live TV review)
- YouTube TV: Similar plan to Hulu but without the on-demand services for $72.99/mo.
Use NFL RedZone
NFL RedZone is a channel designed to deal with the fact that so many games on Sunday afternoon take place at the same time. It allows you to live stream all the games at the same time — or at least the best parts of the games. See our NFL RedZone channel page for details.
The channel is available as an add-on with FuboTV, Sling TV, Hulu + Live TV, Vidgo, and YouTube TV.
Wait Until Next Year
DIRECTV Satallite’s deal with NFL Sunday Ticket ends this season. Sunday Ticket will be picking a new partner by the end of the season. So if you can struggle through this season, you will likely have a better option starting next year.
Amazon, Apple, and Disney are services bidding for NFLST next year for the 2023 NFL season. Apple has really gotten into sports lately, starting with the MLB. It is the only service that does not have a relationship with NFL currently, but rumor has it that they will end up with the plan.
Live Stream NFL Sunday Ticket
The NFL Sunday Ticket app is available from the usual app stores:
- Amazon App Store
- Apple App Store
- Google Play
- Microsoft Store
- Playstation Store
- Windows Store
- Xbox Live Marketplace
Both the NFL Sunday Ticket app and NFLSundayTicket.TV support a wide range of devices:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android Google Pixel
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Galaxy Tab
- Google Nexus
- HTC Nexus
- iPod Touch
- Kindle Fire
- LG Smart TVs
- Samsung Galaxy
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Sony Xperia
- Web Browsers
- Windows 10 Tablets
Just log in to the app or NFLSundayTicket.TV and enter your DIRECTV account username and password. Follow the instructions on your screen to verify yourself, and you’re all set.
DIRECTV just doesn’t leave football fans a lot of options, unfortunately, and hasn’t for almost 30 years. Next year, it will be a whole new ball game. But for now, there is only one way: DIRECTV NFL Sunday Ticket. We hope we’ve made your decision easier.
Can I get NFL Sunday Ticket with DIRECTV STREAM?
You can’t get NFL Sunday Ticket with your DIRECTV STREAM subscriptions. We know: it seems absurd. But DIRECTV only has the rights to provide the service via satellite. The problem seems to be the NFL itself. And it is not at all clear why they wouldn’t want to provide greater access to their games.
The good news is that NFL has been negotiating a new contract for Sunday Ticket and it will almost certainly go to a streaming service starting next year. Until then, there are VPNs.
What is NFLSundayTicket.TV?
NFLSundayTicket.TV is the streaming version of NFL Sunday Ticket. But don’t get excited. It is only available to people who can’t get DIRECTV Satellite. This generally means people who live in apartment buildings that don’t allow satellite dishes. And people who live in a location with a line-of-site issue. Few people qualify.
You can also get NFLSundayTicket.TV if you are a current college student or a recent graduate.
What channel is NFL Sunday Ticket on DIRECTV?
NFL Sunday Ticket features several games at one time so it isn’t on a single channel but rather a collection of them: 705 through 719. These are offered as both standard and HD. NFL Sunday Ticket Max subscribers also get Red Zone Channel (703) and the DIRECTV Fantasy Zone (704).
Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11]- 11/15/2022
Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/13/2022
🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/12/2022