If you are a CMT addict who wants to cut the cord, you have nothing to fear. Although you can’t get the channel over the air for free, it is available from the top streaming services. Read on to learn everything you need to know!
In a hurry? Given how widely available CMT is, your choice will probably be driven by what else any given streaming service provides. Here are our top picks:
- FuboTV: With 130+ channels, it offers something for everyone. FuboTV allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- Sling TV: Probably the best streaming service in terms of customization with a super low price!
- DIRECTV STREAM: Provides everything you expect from cable with many options. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that offers this TV channel. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the sports, movies, and TV you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
- ExpressVPN: Premium VPN provider that just works, with 3,000+ locations in 94 countries. Supports five simultaneous devices and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. (ExpressVPN review)
- Surfshark: Connect to over 3,200 servers in 99 countries (+ tonnes of US metro areas). Try it with a 7-day free trial.
- NordVPN: Connect to over 5,000 premium servers in 60+ countries. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
CMT is the American TV channel. Once known as Country Music Television, it is definitely not just country music anymore! Thanks to its all-encompassing American vibe, it attracts all types of viewers.
Luckily, it is simple to watch without a cable subscription. With the use of a streaming service, you can be entertained by a great lineup of unscripted programs.
What is CMT?
On Mar 5, 1983, CMT entered the airwaves. It was created and matured by Glenn D Daniels. Originally branded as CMTV, it dropped the “V” in response to a complaint by MTV. The network’s success was phenomenal. Viewers loved watching country music videos 24/7.
In 1991, CMT was acquired by Gaylord Entertainment. At this point, broadcasting expanded to various shows alongside music videos. Eventually, the network was bought by Westinghouse, the owner of CBS. In turn, CBS was acquired by Viacom. Viacom changed the format to include movies, unscripted shows, and dwindling amounts of music.
By far, the appeal of this network is its ability to offer something for everyone. If you love country music, you have time to sing along with the latest hits and the classic artists. If you enjoy reality shows or comedy, the healthy lineup is filled with something to tickle your fancy.
If you enjoy country-lifestyle shows, movies that feature southern themes, or country music videos, CMT is the channel for you. To repeat, the vast programming offers something for everyone. It features a number of currently-produced shows and popular reruns.
- CMT Crossroads: This show pairs a famous country performer with a musician from another genre. In the end, a number of great covers and duets are created.
- CMT Giants: Every industry has legends. With this program, fans watch as country giants are honored by current artists.
- CMT Hot 20: When you want to be on the pulse of country music, this program counts down the hits.
- Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team: This reality show follows a group of potential professional cheerleaders from training camp until the audition process. Who makes a cut? You can root for your favorite to make it to the first game of the season.
- Nashville: This show is one of the most popular musical soap operas ever aired. The plot paralleles the lives of a fading country music superstar and an up-and-coming newbie. After being canceled by ABC, CMT picked it up and continued to showcase reruns.
- Party Down South: This is another successful reality show from the producers of Jersey Shore. Its reruns reminisce about the summertime fun shared by a house full of young guys and gals.
CMT Music Awards
The CMT Music Awards officially got its name in 2005. However, the award show was broadcast under other titles from 1967. Most notably, it ran on TNN for years as a fan-voted awards show.
In 2002, there was a complete overhaul of the format. It shifted from award-based to production-based. Non-traditional categories were added, and Bluegrass performers were showcased.
Throughout the years, you probably remember some unforgettable moments. For example, 2006 provided proof that country music had soul and empathy. During this production, Keith Urban paid tribute to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. If you were like the people in the audience, the performance left you in tears.
One of the biggest moments involved the success of Carrie Underwood. This American Idol alumni proved that she is much more than a pop superstar. In 2017, she became the winningest artist in CMT Music Awards history.
Paramount Global (formerly ViacomCBS) announced that the next broadcast will move to network tv in April 2022 as a replacement for the ACM Awards. It will appear (EDT), April 11, 2022 on CBS. Dolly Parton, Jimmie Allen, and Gabby Barrett are slated to co-host the event.
The event will stream live on Paramount+. It isn’t clear if it will be rebroadcast on CMT at a later time.
Unblock Your Favorite Movies and Shows With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
How to Watch CMT
- FuboTV: Sports enthusiast are most likely familiar with this streaming choice. For $74.99/mo, you can enjoy much more than games. Subscribers can take advantage of Discovery, E!, Food Network, and FX as well as music channels MTV and VH1. FuboTV provides 1000 hours of cloud DVR and simultaneous stream on on up to 10 devices. (FuboTV review)
- DIRECTV STREAM (formerly AT&T TV): Its base, Entertainment, package includes CMT. For the $74.99/mo, you receive a healthy lineup of roughly 80 channels. It has three higher-level plans with many more channels — most notably all its regional sports networks in the Choice plan for $99.99/mo. All plans come with unlimited DVR storage and streaming on unlimited different devices at the same time. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
- Sling TV: Sling Orange offers 30+ channels with ESPN and Disney. Sling Blue offers 40+ channels with NBC and Fox. The Comedy Extra add-on for $5/mo more adds CMT, MTV, MTV2, Revolt, Game Show Network, and 5 others. All plans come with 50 hours of cloud DVR. The Orange plan is limited to streaming on one device; the Blue plan allows up to three. (Sling TV review)
- Hulu + Live TV: This is one of the best options to view CMT along with over 85 live TV channels. It is important to note that this includes your local networks like CBS, which is airing the CMT Music Awards. Also, you get ESPN+ and Disney+. For $69.99/mo, you can enjoy all this plus record unlimited hours to your cloud DVR (9 months of storage) and stream on up to two devices at once. (Hulu + Live TV review)
- Philo: For just $25/mo, you get a good selection of 60+ live TV channels. It is limited in terms of sports and news plus it offers no local chanels at all. But at such a low price, it offers a tremendous value. (Philo review)
- Vidgo: Get 100+ channels including ABC, Fox, and a lot of sports for $64.95/mo. One downside: it is the only major streaming service not to offer a cloud DVR. (Vidgo review)
- YouTube TV: YouTube only offers one package at $64.99/mo. You receive 100+ broadcast and cable channels.
The services above are the only ways to watch CMT live. But you have a couple of other options to watch its most popular shows.
- Paramount+: Paramount+ is at the “peak” of entertainment. For $4.99 each month, you can stream over 30,000 episodes and movies. It includes the CMT shows Cross Roads, Party Down South, and The Last Cowboy. (Paramount+ review)
- Hulu On-Demand: For $6.99 a month, you gain access to new shows and Hulu originals. It provides access to six seasons of Nashville. (Hulu review)
- Amazon Prime Video: Amazon Prime Video is available for as little as $8.99/mo. It offers a number of shows for sale. Currently, nothing is included with the price of prime. (Amazon Prime Video review)
TVs and Devices to Stream CMT
If you’ve purchased a streaming device or TV in the last couple of years, chances are that it is supported by the streaming services we’ve discussed above. These devices are supported by all of them:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android mobile
- Apple TV
- iOS (iPhone,iPad)
- Web browsers.
Except for DIRECTV STREAM, all the services support Android TV-powered TVs. And other than Philo and Vidgo, they all support Samsung smart TVs. FuboTV, Sling TV, and Hulu + Live TV support LG and VIZIO TVs and Xbox systems. And Hulu supports PlayStation units.
Other, less popular, devices are also supported. See our streaming service reviews for all the details.
Superpower Your Live TV Streaming With a VPN
You can’t beat a VPN for privacy, security, and access. We have used them for years as an important part of our streaming toolkit and we recommend ExpressVPN.
|i||See our VPN Buyer’s Guide for complete information on how to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
If you are a fan of country music, CMT is for you. If you aren’t a country music fanatic, this network still offers content that you will like. Thanks to the broad nature of the offered content, you’ll find yourself singing along or laughing at episodes of classic shows.
Is CMT Available on HULU?
You can watch CMT on Hulu Live. If you subscribe to Hulu on-demand, your options for shows are more limited. At this time, the only program that is available is Nashville. Although it is only running reruns, it gives you a chance to catch up on the past seasons.
Can I Watch CMT on Paramount+?
As previously discussed, Paramount Global owns CMT and Paramount. As a result, CMT is a major part of the content provided by Paramount+. You can stream the major shows Cross Roads, The Last Cowboy, and Party Down South. However, there is no live feed for this particular channel.
How do I watch other entertainment channels other than CMT?
Check the detailed guideline below for other entertainment channels:
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11]- 11/15/2022
Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/13/2022
🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/12/2022