Nick Jr is not just a favorite of kids — many adults like it as well! And thankfully, it is not necessary to sign up for a long-term cable contract to make your family happy with it. Read on to learn all your options.
In a hurry? All of the major live TV streaming services offer Nick Jr. Here are our top choices depending on your other needs:
- Fubo: With 130+ channels, it offers something for everyone. Fubo allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
- DIRECTV STREAM: Provides everything you expect from cable with many options. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
- Sling TV: Probably the best streaming service in terms of customization with a super low price. Save 50% on one month now!
If you can’t watch your favorite sports, TV and movies because of your location, try ExpressVPN to get access to the content you deserve. Signup now.
Unfortunately, we don’t know a streaming service in that offers this TV channel. But if you’ve already paid for the right service, and just can’t watch because of your location, there is an easy way to get the sports, movies, and TV you deserve. You need a VPN, like one of the following.
||Sign Up Now|
||Sign Up Now|
||Sign Up Now|
If you’re overwhelmed and not sure where to begin, you’ll find all the answers in our full VPN guide.
Table Of Contents
If you’re a parent of small children and you let them watch TV at all, the shows typically fall into two categories:
- Those that make you want to jump out a window just to make them stop. The much-hated Canadian Caillou comes to mind.
- The ones that you secretly look forward to because they feature cute characters, passably clever writing, and catchy songs you find yourself humming at odd hours of the day.
Nick Jr is firmly in the second category. So cue up the Paw Patrol theme and get ready to hop in the UmiCar, because we’re flipping the channel to Nick Jr!
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
What Is Nick Jr
Before Nickelodeon was Nickelodeon, it was Pinwheel — “the world’s first TV channel geared strictly to preschoolers.” It was launched 1977 in Columbus, OH. And it featured the preschool show of the same name.
When Pinwheel was expanded into the national channel Nickelodeon in 1979, Pinwheel (the show) was relegated to weekday mornings. As such, it would become the foundation for Nick’s new weekday-morning preschool block when it launched Nick Junior (later Jr) in 1988.
Pinwheel was followed by Eureeka’s Castle, the first show made for Nick Jr. In 2009, Paramount Global (formerly ViacomCBS) reorganized the Nick channels, rebranding Noggin into Nick Jr.
Nick Jr is aimed at kids three to five years old, engaging them with questions and games. Shows typically feature relatable situations and original songs. They combine fun and play with learning both ABCs, numbers, shapes, colors, and so forth and more “life skills” concepts like problem-solving, managing emotions, and social skills. Protagonists are more likely to face conflict in overcoming daily challenges or mastering skills than they are by defeating a traditional enemy.
Nick Jr is part of Nickelodeon’s family of channels, which, besides the original Nickelodeon, includes NickMusic, NickToons, and TeenNick. Other channels aimed at the preschool crowd include arch-rival Disney Junior, PBS Kids, and more obscure channels such as ducktv, Hopster, Kids Street (formerly Kids Central), PlayKids, and everyone’s favorite pint-size toy-reviewer on Ryan & Friends.
Unblock Your Favorite Movies and Shows With a VPN
If you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows because of your location, a VPN will allow you to get the access you are entitled to, plus extra security and unequalled privacy. Check out our VPN Guide for everything you need to know, including our top pick ExpressVPN.
Stream Nick Jr
Nick Jr is the only breakout spin-off channel from Nick. For some reason, the others don’t enjoy the same wide carriage. But that’s good news for you as a preschooler parent. It means Nick Jr is almost always with its big sister Nick in the base tier of services. And every streaming service carries it. This means you don’t need cable anymore to watch Nick Jr. Let’s look at some details.
Fubo’s mainly known as a sports-focused service, but they have just as many (if not more) non-sports channels as the other services. That Pro package ($74.99/mo) includes Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, and Disney Junior. Fubo allows you to try out its service free for 7 days.
You’ll have to spring for the Extra add-on ($7.99/mo) or the Elite tier if you want NickMusic, NickToons, and TeenNick.
All plans come with 1000 hours of cloud DVR and streaming on up to 10 devices at once. (FuboTV review)
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
Sling TV is cool because they take a modular view of channel bundling. You pick a small base plan, and if you want more, you add what you want. In the case of Nick Jr, you can get either Sling Orange or Sling Blue — they both provide it for $40.00/mo. Save 50% on Sling TV now!
If that’s not enough, you can add the Kids Extra, which includes ducktv, NickToons, TeenNick, and more for $6/mo additional. Or, if you prefer, you can add either or both of Sling’s premium channels with a preschool focus: Hopster and PlayKids ($5/mo each).
The one downside: Sling TV does not offer Nickelodeon at all. (Sling TV review)
DIRECTV STREAM goes big on everything: lots of channels, unlimited DVR as long as you sign-up online, and unlimited devices at a time. Unfortunately for your wallet, it also goes big on price: services start at $74.99/mo. A 5-day free trial is now available for DIRECTV STREAM.
More bad news for parents of little Blues Clues & You! fans: that starting price will only get you Nickelodeon, Disney Junior, TeenNick, and PBS Kids. Nick Jr and NickToons are one tier up in the Choice package, which is $99.99/mo.
If it’s any consolation, you also get a bunch of regional sports channels only DIRECTV STREAM has, so you can unwind with a home team ballgame after Ryder and his team of pups have played themselves out. (DIRECTV STREAM review)
Get DIRECTV STREAM Free for 5 Days
Hulu + Live TV
Just like Fubo, with Hulu + Live TV, you get Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, and Disney Junior in the base package for $69.99/mo. Also like Fubo, NickToons and TeenNick (though not NickMusic) are in an add-on that’s $7.99 additional per month.
What’s not like Fubo? You also get Disney+ and ESPN+, together with all of Hulu’s on-demand catalog of shows and movies. The plan comes with unlimited cloud DVR (9 months of storage) and simultaneous streaming on two devices. (Hulu + Live TV review)
Philo is where it’s at for saving money. With over 65 channels for $25/mo, you cannot beat it on value. And because they don’t have tiers, Nick Jr, Nickelodeon, NickToons, and TeenNick are all included in that. Try Philo free for 7 days.
Bonus: you can stream Ryan & Friends, a free channel featuring YouTube superstar Ryan. What’s the catch? Well, you and your kids will have to go without Disney, NBCUniversal, or Warner Media channels. There’s also little to no live sports, news, or local programming.
Getting an antenna can mitigate that somewhat, but for some, it’s a dealbreaker. Still a heck of a deal. (Philo review)
Vidgo is basically Philo with sports and news. For $69.99/mo, you get a heady blend of college sports, family-friendly movies and shows, conservative talk shows, and Spanish-language programming from around the world. Included in that hodge-podge is Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, Disney Junior, Kids Street, and TeenNick.
If you upgrade to the $84.99/mo Premium tier, you get NickMusic and NickToons too. Vidgo offers no cloud DVR but it does allow you to stream on up to 3 devices. (Vidgo review)
Other Ways to Stream Nick Jr
- Paramount+: Paramount Global’s in-house on-demand streaming service has crazy amounts of Nick content, including a ton of classic Nick and Nick Jr shows. It’s entertaining for your kids, a trip down memory lane for you, starting at $4.99/mo. (Paramount+ review)
- YouTube TV: YouTube TV has over 100 channels for $72.99/mo including Nick Jr, Nickelodeon, NickToons, TeenNick, PBS Kids, and Disney Junior.
- Nick Jr App: Part learning games, part video-streaming app, it features word-free menus with pictures made just for kids who haven’t quite mastered reading yet. You need a TV provider login to access a lot of the content.
Streaming Devices and TVs for Nick Jr
The services above support most streaming devices in use today:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Android mobile
- Apple TV
- iOS (iPhone,iPad)
- Web browsers.
Other than DIRECTV STREAM, they also support Android TV devices. Other than Philo and Vidgo, they support Samsung smart TVs. Fubo, Sling, and Hulu support Xbox gaming systems. Hulu supports PlayStation and Nintendo Switch gaming units.
So the streaming reviews for complete lists.
Superpower Your Live TV Streaming With a VPN
You can’t beat a VPN for privacy, security, and access. We have used them for years as an important part of our streaming toolkit and we recommend ExpressVPN.
|i||See our VPN Buyer’s Guide for complete information on how to choose the best VPN for your needs.|
Nick Jr Alternatives
When it comes to streaming services for kids, there’s no shortage of free/low-cost options. Nick Jr is one, of course, but not the only one:
- Disney Junior: Home of Doc McStuffins, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and PJ Masks, the content is very similar, in tone and format, to Nick Jr. Have fun keeping straight which show is on which channel!
- PBS Kids: The kids channel/video app for parents who feel guilty about the amount of Nick Jr/Disney Junior their kids watch. Favorite titles: Curious George, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, and Sesame Street. And, yes, Caillou.
- Kidoodle: Streaming platform with live-person screened content for kids, plus bedtimes, curfews, and analytics on what they’re watching. Free with ads, $4.99/mo to remove them.
- KidsBeeTV: Nursery rhymes, baby shows, and other age 5 and under videos, lots of educational material, but also Pinkfong. It is $4.99/mo after 7 day trial.
- National Geographic Kids: App/website/channel filled with all kinds of fun facts about everything from penguins to presidents. Site/app has interactive content; everything is free.
- Netflix: Yes, the Netflix Kids profiles are surprisingly good at keeping out adult content (better than YouTube). Just make sure to set a lock on the grown-ups’ accounts.
- Cakey: Platform enables parents to create their own collection of curated YouTube content for their kids. Free, but only available for Apple.
- YouTube Kids: Mostly safe version of YouTube for kids. If that “mostly” bothers you, go with a different platform.
- Sensical: Ad-supported free platform with hand-picked, vetted content from the folks at Common Sense Media.
- PlayKids: Original and licensed programming, ad-free, safe, and educational. It is $4.99/mo after free trial.
- KidzBop: Kids sing (sanitized) versions of Top 40 songs. A karaoke app is available so your kids can get in on the fun too.
- KidTube: This 100% guaranteed clean entertainment for your kids, provides content across a dozen topics. It is $4.99/mo after 10-day free trial.
- Amazon Kids+: Adjustable age filters, time limits, up to four profiles, and you can make kids watch the educational stuff before cartoons. Starting at $2.99/mo after a one-month free trial.
Sign Up for a Free 7-Day Fubo Trial
So whether your little one likes to use her mighty math powers with Millie, Geo, and Bot, play Blue’s Clues with Josh, or join Mr Grouper, Gil, Molly, and the rest of the class, you don’t need a cable account to tune into Nick Jr. Just sign up for one of the live streaming TV services above, and you’ll be singing The So Long Song to your cable company in no time. We recommend Hulu + Live TV.
Alternative Entertainment Channels
See the following list for watching other entertainment channels:
Other Family and Kids Channels
Here are our options for watching alternative family and kids channels:
Ditch “Big Cable” Now – 3 Simple Steps to Cut the Cord
- Pick the right streaming service
- Get the content you deserve with the best VPN.
- Supercharge your internet provider
That’s it — you’ll save money, take back control, and enjoy TV more!
Page Updates ▼▲
Added buttons for streaming services. Updated some sub-sections. Image changes. Added some links.
Image changes. Pricing updates. Linking.
Added VPN info. Image changes. Reworded some things.
Added buttons for streaming services. Pricing updates. Various content updates.
Added buttons for streaming services. Added links to streaming services. Updated some sub-sections. Image changes. Pricing updates. Deleted unneeded sub-section.
Added sub-section. Changed a few bits of content.
Added sub-section. Image changes. Added links. Various content updates.
More links. Pricing updates. Various changes.
Added links to streaming services. Changed some content in main section. Put related links. Updated some sub-sections.
Viewing Options for Thursday Night Football Tennessee Titans vs Green Bay Packers [NFL Week 11]- 11/15/2022
Watch Monday Night Football: Washington Commanders vs Philadelphia Eagles Viewing Options November 14, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/13/2022
🏈 Watch Sunday Night Football: Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers Viewing Options November 13, 2022 [NFL Week 10]- 11/12/2022